Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What distance do you shoot from?

Boolit Master
    Primer powered wax bullet shooting using the revolver of your choice.
    If you never tried shooting primer powered wax bullets you can Google it to see what it's about.
    Servicemen and women, Police, guard, and anyone who likes to shoot can use this at home in the garage or basement to practice live fire exercises.
    In cold winter and rainy days you can keep up and improve your shooting skills and reaction time.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I usually start around 5 yards and go up to 15. I also do some point shooting double action at bad breath distance.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    I usually start at 25 to 50 meters.
    After that I will shoot from snake strikingly distance up to 150 meters. Depending on which handgun maybe 200 at a 18 x 48 inch target

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

My handgun shooting, at least with my hunting handguns, is mostly at 50 and 75 yds. All shooting is done from a seated, back-rested position, mostly at the two targets on the right-

My SD handguns and my beloved 4" K-Frame .38's are shot offhand at 25 yds. at a steel silhouette, but since my 100 yd. backstop is directly behind the 25 yd. stand, I occasionally lob a bullet at the 100 yd. steel.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    The flip side question: What size target do you shoot at?

I started shooting at 25 yards. At the time it was the shortest distance available. As the decades passed shooting at 25 yards for handguns went from the norm for most, to being only for the old crazy guys. A lot of indoor ranges stop at 15 yards. The outdoor range I shot at for years whittled the number of 25 yard slots down to very few. Since they were popular with kids and .22 rifles I let them have it.

I was shooting at a 6" bullseye at 25 yards. I scaled that down to 3.6" at 15 yards. Same sight picture. Same level of difficulty. Well...pretty close. The major difference is wind.

Boolit Master
    Because I shoot steel plates, it is impractical to shoot at less than 20-25 yards, for my own peace of mind. But usually 25-200 yards, 8" swinger all the way up to the 2'x2' square gong. G19, 686, Single Six, Blackhawk, doesn't matter. All short barrels and open sights, standing free hand. Hitting the 8" swinger at 200 doesn't happen often, but sure is fun when it does. The gong is fairly easy.

Just have several revolvers of high octane type. 25yds to 110yds always unsupported, and occasionally one handed. I use my cell phone in 4K to video and review it to sight in.

Boolit Master

Went to the gravel pit the other day and shot at 43 yards, off-hand, with my carry pistols, to replicate a shot that a Tucson, AZ officer made last week.

He shot a bad guy in the head at 43 yards. Fired five shots.

So I did the same with a paper plate, with 2-second splits. With my P365 and cheap Remington ammo, I scored no hits. Using an M&P40 with reloads, and a Glock G23 with the same reloads, I scored two hits with each pistol.

I was surprised.

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I've got a 6" gong that I can hit consistently at 50 yards with my wheel guns, if I'm not having vision issues or tremors. My gongs hang off steel fence posts. I've been wanting to get a full size idpa style one for speed shooting.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345