Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What distance do you shoot from?

Boolit Master

With SD pistols it is 5-25 yards. I have also shot at 50 with them as well on silhouette targets.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Bub
    I shoot at 25 yards mostly. I don't see the point in practicing under 25, for self defense if I can hit at 25, I can at under 25 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    25 miles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails howitzer.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    25 miles
    You win
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    I usually shoot my defensive handguns at 7-15 yards with the round count about evenly split.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeyoung View Post
    I shoot at 25 yards mostly. I don't see the point in practicing under 25, for self defense if I can hit at 25, I can at under 25 yards.
    The difference is TIME. At 9 feet, your attacker can be on you in about 3/4's of a second. A fast "nine" that hits is better than a "ten-x" that never gets fired. As distance increases, your need for speed diminishes, while the need for accuracy increases. Practice at several distances, striving to shoot as fast as you can hit. But the hit is more important than the speed.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    25 miles
    You must have really big pockets.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

10 or 25 yds with handguns.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

With my self-defence handguns, 25 yards and under. With my hunting handguns, 50 yards out to 125 yards depending on which gun. And with my Contender, out to 150 yards with some barrels. With the contender, I could go much further IF I HAD THE RANGE to shoot at!

Boolit Buddy
    IMHO:

Shooting close builds confidence. Shooting far builds skill..... And, occasionally, humility.....

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    The difference is TIME. At 9 feet, your attacker can be on you in about 3/4's of a second. A fast "nine" that hits is better than a "ten-x" that never gets fired. As distance increases, your need for speed diminishes, while the need for accuracy increases. Practice at several distances, striving to shoot as fast as you can hit. But the hit is more important than the speed.
    If the attacker is at 9 feet and you've not drawn yet.....you're dun.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I practice 3 ways...
    One way is in self defense mode; which I shoot from 7 to 25 yards, like most people here.

The other way is in militia mode, where I use my rifle and handgun. I'll shoot the handgun at 50 yards or more.

The last way is hunting with a handgun, which I practice at 30 to 125 yards, but mostly at 100 yards.

Then I like to shoot for fun, and love to shoot a handgun at longer distances.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I build everything for the hunt .
    I do draw and fire occasionally but focus on aim and accuracy .
    If I have to defend myself a jack russell sized critter and less , save for badger , is a stomp and kick deal so I'm not shooting a football at 20 paces . I once ruined my rifle shooting with a shotgun and vis a vis . My carry where needed do most of the work for me . If I can draw and lock on a 25 yd or less 8" plate times 2 shots that ought to be enough to not shoot myself in the hand , foot , or arm .

That said I used to shoot 25,50,75 , and 100 yd , pistols to 50 and rifles 50 and out . I had a public range with "known" range targets out past 350 yd and a place if desired several miles to just shoot for the sake of ranging and making hits . Today I have a half scale 25 , 35 , 50 , and 100 yd range . The likelihood of a shot much over 150 yd now is slim to unlikely but should the need arise I have a couple of rifles available that make 350 yd a spine and elbow hold and squeeze deal .

I'm not likely to shoot an auto much past 100 ft ever .
    Revolvers I tend to shoot further , but then I'm not likely to carry a 5.5 to 7.5" N frame class to Walmart for milk either .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I’ve shot hundreds of thousands of handgun rounds over the last fifty years. I doubt that even one tenth of one percent were fired at less than 25 yards. Most of my shooting is at 50 yards and out. I personally can’t see any point of practicing with a handgun at 3, 5, or 7 yards. It seems like a waste of time and ammo. I spent years shooting silhouette and steel plate competition and my belief is that if you can hit the target accurately and fast at twenty-five yards you shouldn’t have any trouble hitting it fast and accurately at any closer distance.
    Well, you got a point but I met a many a fellow that could shoot a moving target with sleep in their eyes at 75 yards but couldn't hit a still target at 10 yards! Don't ask me why.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Well, you got a point but I met a many a fellow that could shoot a moving target with sleep in their eyes at 75 yards but couldn't hit a still target at 10 yards! Don't ask me why.
    It is two different disciplines.

I practice moving targets before every deer season, I'm pretty good at it; I've always shot moving targets, I'm a hunter.

But I struggle to get good hits in self defense practice; I never really practiced it before, I'm not so good.

I depends on the Range I am at, and what I brought with me. my conceal Carry Snubby 7 to 10 yards. My Taurus PT 24/7 out to 50 yards.

Boolit Master

Generally speaking, if you have to engage a human target at 50 yards, it’ll be hard to convince the jury it was self defense. Being proficient at any distance is always good practice. I recently purchased a 6.5 CM and plan to push it/me to it’s limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

I said handguns not long guns.

25 miles
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    If I could shoot on the rifle range I could shoot to over 250 yards. Although target sighted and or hunting handguns are legal on the rifle range I am paranoid doing it.
    There are some members there that thinks their discipline is the only one and they also think their waste doesn't stink and would whine and cry about someone with a handgun on their precious rifle range.
    When I do go to the rifle range, which is not often and early so no one will be there I shoot offhand at 100 yards.
    If I get there and someone is there I turn around and go back to the pistol range.
    I will say this, if one can't shoot well at 5, 10, 15, 25 yards or there about you won't shoot well at longer distances. If you can shoot well at long range you will do well much closer regardless of the technique you shoot with.
    To put it country simple you won't shoot teeny tiny ten yard groups then go completely down the tube at 100 and you can't shoot good groups at 100 and then go down the tubes at 10, 15 or 25 yards.
    If you do you need to do a strict evaluation of oneself.

Boolit Master
    10 to 20 yards off hand at paper and 50 yards on steel. Need an eye exam and some new shooting glasses. All my handguns are iron sighted.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast