RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My (bad) experience with Walters wads.

My (bad) experience with Walters wads.

I learned about LDPE wads here and wanted to try them in my black powder cartridges, but in Italy I had a hard time finding LDPE in sheets. So I read about Walter wads and asked him if he could send 4 bags of 1000 wads each to Italy. I was told that it was possible and that the shipping cost would be around $28. In fact, the shipping cost was $38 and the package took 40 days to arrive in Italy. This is not Walter wads' fault, but I would have believed that 38 dollars to ship 4 plastic bags, the time and cost would have been more comfortable. Finally, after 40 days I received the bags, I immediately checked that they fit in 45-70 cases, but I quickly saw that they fit badly because they were cut at about .477 "instead of .460". When I placed the order I clearly wrote to John Walters that the size should have been .460 "and that the wads were intended for cartridge cases 45-70. I sent an email to Walter wads complaining about the problem, but I have not received a reply yet. .
    Bottom line: never again order goods from the US, shipping costs and times are a nightmare, and sometimes it happens that someone is not even able to cut the wads correctly.
    Usually I receive goods from all the countries around the world, but it seems that the US companies don't care about selling to us, non american citizens.

Boolit Master
    Yup why bother coming here with your complaints ,order somewhere else ! /Ed

Boolit Master

Thank you for sharing. To receive .477 when .460 was specified does not indicate customer satisfaction as a priority.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Sorry, no more orders from the US. This experience was a real nightmare.

I want share with you a little thing I learned in the meantime, after received these wrong wads, I realized that a 45 Colt case could punch the right size wad for the 45-70 Starline fireformed cases. Fortunately I friend of mine found the LDPE sheets here in Rome, and tried to punch the new wads with my new luxurious 45 Colt case. They are perfect at .461" diameter. Lesson learned.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    I learned about LDPE wads here and wanted to try them in my black powder cartridges, but in Italy I had a hard time finding LDPE in sheets. So I read about Walter wads and asked him if he could send 4 bags of 1000 wads each to Italy. I was told that it was possible and that the shipping cost would be around $28. In fact, the shipping cost was $38 and the package took 40 days to arrive in Italy. This is not Walter wads' fault, but I would have believed that 38 dollars to ship 4 plastic bags, the time and cost would have been more comfortable. Finally, after 40 days I received the bags, I immediately checked that they fit in 45-70 cases, but I quickly saw that they fit badly because they were cut at about .477 "instead of .460". When I placed the order I clearly wrote to John Walters that the size should have been .460 "and that the wads were intended for cartridge cases 45-70. I sent an email to Walter wads complaining about the problem, but I have not received a reply yet. .
    Bottom line: never again order goods from the US, shipping costs and times are a nightmare, and sometimes it happens that someone is not even able to cut the wads correctly.
    Usually I receive goods from all the countries around the world, but it seems that the US companies don't care about selling to us, non american citizens.
    Claudius --yes shipping costs from the US can be ridiculous - IF the person sending it is not prepared to wrangle for a decent deal - even after that it is expensive - about double what it would cost to send the same package to them from us.
    Last visit I made I wanted to send a carton of PVC pipe fittings home (had the option of extra baggage on Quantas at $100) - first quote in the local Post Office (Grant Nebraska) was right on $400US - that was the no questions price - we ended up at $68 took about 15 minutes counter time to figure it out. I never order anything from the US unless the price quote is in writing and includes shipping.
    I couldnt find LDPE in Australia either (it would be out there someplace I guess but not easy) so I used HDPE - have had good results with it. I made my own wad cutter and cut .460-.462
    There is a lot of weird trade restrictions on any gun related stuff - maybe the problem is not all the fault of the seller?

@Indiana Joe: I accepted the $38 shipping and the 40 days waiting, but I cannot accept the WRONG .477" wads and their silence on my complaints.
    Last edited by Claudius; 06-11-2021 at 07:00 AM.

Boolit Man
    I order much less than I used to from US (I'm located in Poland) these days, but I have some hopefully useful advice. When ordering stay away from companies like stakry, shipito etc. Those companies promise you "seemless shopping experience", repackaging and reshipping your purchases, but all of them have ridiculous non-consistent exclusion lists. Of course you can't buy guns ammo, and other things like rangefinders, night vision etc. That is understandable. However, after contacting them few times and being assured "it is fine" to order things like a leather sling, a recoil pad, a lyman casting ladle etc all such items were intercepted as "having to do with guns". I have emails from managers in those companies telling me in writing such items are OK. Then they get blocked anyway.

Never use them. Period. There is one company I have had good experience with. I'm not sure if I can say their name as it might be considered advertising. PM if interested. They are not a tiny company (they have few locations in US). I use their Vegas location. They advertise it as. Po box rather than reshipping and one peculiar thing is that if you want to use them you need to have your European ID notarised by a US notary... It sounds elaborate, but can be done over a 10min Skype call.

Also, regarding shipping from US to Europe. I found USPS International priority mail standard boxes to be the best deal. The only time things get delayed sometimes is during the hop over the Atlantic (it fell off a shipping crate I guess).

A funny story related to shipping with them is when I bought a vintage kenwood "band scope". On ebay in US and had it shipped to my po box. Then reshipped to PL. (another advantage of doing it this way is that you are both the sender and receiver so for used items bought in personal capacity in US and moved to EU you should pay no VAT - your mileage may vary depending on country). The item got lost on the way. I pretty much gave up on it after 3 months, but I filled a USPS "lost package" form. I supplied pictures of it, serial numbers etc. Then I forgot about it. Imagine my surprise when 18months later it arrived at my home in PL . It still have it and it wasn't damaged in transit.

Long story short - if you're buying from US use a PO box. Many companies will charge you and arm and a leg for direct International shipping because they have an exclusive shipping deal with FedEx or ups etc.

Also, just so no one gets an idea we're picking on US's shipping services. I have to say from all European countries I ordered various items from I have had ridiculously long transit times only from two Russia (far east so fair enough I guess) and Italy (sorry). Maybe I was just unlucky, but it happened twice!

Anyway, I hope no one is offended.

I think that the wads are sized to fit tightly bellow the bullet seating area in the case. This would be where the case starts to taper and the inner diameter increases. Just a thought....

Boolit Master
    Do the wads work? Too loose is no good too. Flynth, you say use a po box but where? In the US then it gets forwarded overseas? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Do the wads work?
    The wrong size wads I received should work, but they are too tight to be inserted in the case without wearing your fingers.
    The poly wads listed at BACO are .463", this should be the right size for 45-70 rifle cartridges:
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/45-calib...63060poly.html

In the attached photo you can see the wrong size that Walters sent me, also they have a strange irregular shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1623417936386-DESKTOP-0LPTGFO.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	284330
    Last edited by Claudius; 06-11-2021 at 09:29 AM.

I just ordered 1000 of these for .45-70. I will let you know how it works out when I get them. The order ticket says .462 dia
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Banned

That would be like me ordering wads from Italy and expecting good customer service! Lost in translation!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Do the wads work? Too loose is no good too. Flynth, you say use a po box but where? In the US then it gets forwarded overseas? Thanks
    Yes, exactly. The PO box is in Las Vegas (no sales tax in Nevada).It is not an actual box, just an address. It looks like a normal residential address. I never had issues ordering bulky items. Then once I have enough stuff there I ask the company to pack everything into one big box and ship it together to Poland. As it is basically my address they put my name as the sender. I'm responsible for all the paperwork etc. It makes things a lot easier regarding local customs. As you can imagine it costs far less than shipping individual items. Also, every single direct purchase I would make in US I would have to pay VAT on top (22%) inclusive of shipping costs. We have an exception for personal (not for resale) items that cost less than 20eur or so (I don't remember the exact amount), but including the shipping cost in the calculation basically ensures you always end up paying it if you buy anything directly from US.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    That is an ignorant post. I suppose you will not order molds from MP Molds and only order form US manufacturers so you do not get screwed?????

Claudius, you are correct in not being pleased that the incorrect size was shipped. I doubt you issue was caused by your foreign location or a language issue as you write well. Some suppliers are poor and we should know about them.
    Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Some suppliers are poor and we should know about them.
    I am NOT going to be so quick to join those that condemn. Listing Mr. John Walters good side of the balance sheet would take a book to complete. I would like to hear a little more, or as Paul Harvey used to say, "the rest of the story". There may be a few key facts that we don't know or maybe even Claudius does not know yet.
    The John Walters I know does not operate this way if he is aware of a problem, and that is for sure.

Just saying....
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I am NOT going to be so quick to join those that condemn. Listing Mr. John Walters good side of the balance sheet would take a book to complete. I would like to hear a little more, or as Paul Harvey used to say, "the rest of the story". There may be a few key facts that we don't know or maybe even Claudius does not know yet.
    The John Walters I know does not operate this way if he is aware of a problem, and that is for sure.

Just saying....
    Gotta agree here... haven't had a bad experience with the man yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry you had a bad experience. Check your spam folders for messages. Anyway, John Walters is one of the best ive ever known....cant imagine whats happened

Boolit Master
    Claudius, I had the same problem with oversized wads. I bought this set of forged wad punches in a yard sale for $5. Of course they would be many times that if you bought them new. You can buy much cheaper sets that work just as well. You can use these to punch wads from milk cartons are whatever.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    That is an ignorant post. I suppose you will not order molds from MP Molds and only order form US manufacturers so you do not get screwed?????

Claudius, you are correct in not being pleased that the incorrect size was shipped. I doubt you issue was caused by your foreign location or a language issue as you write well. Some suppliers are poor and we should know about them.
    Not ignorant just an opinion based on fact ,and I own several MP molds one I purchased here (a 4 cav brass 9mm). poster is known to spout (stuff) on other forums too !/Ed T

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Another, something's gone seriously wrong here, because the John Walters that I've done business with over the years doesn't even come close to the description made in this thread.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast