Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Liquid lube

Boolit Buddy

Liquid lube

Hi I want to make some liquid lube Alox is not available in New Zealand including the Lee stuff
    I use The White Label Carunuba Red sticks in my Lube sizers, but a few guys I sell cast bullets to
    also cast their own and want to tumble lube them and asked if I could make a tumble lube for them,
    I was wondering if it would be possible to use the Carunuba Red as a base for such a lube any
    would be helpfull , Robert.

Boolit Master
    I believe while label sells liquid alox .
    Liquid Xlox
    Last edited by toallmy; 06-12-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Alox 'not available' because? Not legal or simply not carried? There are several sources for mail order, if it can be legally delivered.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    This is the product that you are seeking. As an alternative to a tumble lube, some have warmed bullets, placed them in a bag with a small amount of soft stick lube and massaged the bag while wearing gloves to disburse the lube onto the bullets in the bag. But you are not going to make Liquid Alox from commercial bullet lubes.

https://www.thegearboxguys.com/data/ALOX606-55pds.pdf

It is possible that New Zealand laws are the problem, not the source of the material.

You might also consider searching the sticky on bullet lubes in that part of the forum. Much great information and perhaps there is something in all those files that might help these guys out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I believe while label sells liquid alox .
    Liquid Xlox
    Yes, they do, or at least they did a few years ago last time I ordered some from them.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Hi I want to make some liquid lube Alox is not available in New Zealand including the Lee stuff
    I use The White Label Carunuba Red sticks in my Lube sizers, but a few guys I sell cast bullets to
    also cast their own and want to tumble lube them and asked if I could make a tumble lube for them,
    I was wondering if it would be possible to use the Carunuba Red as a base for such a lube any
    would be helpfull , Robert.
    Robert, why dont you go straight to powder coat. Its real easy.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

If it is legal check this place out:

https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...fgnhqtabm20o15

They sell xlox by th 16 and 32 oz bottles
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver man View Post
    Robert, why dont you go straight to powder coat. Its real easy.
    It's not for me just a few guys that I sell bullets to, Not interested in powder coating to set up for the number of bullets I make
    is not feasible I prefer to lube and size in one go,
    The problem with Lee Alox is Lee does not export it to NZ anymore it appears to be a carrier thing there are a number of companies
    that stock Lee products none of them can get the liquid Alox, Getting the JPW and Mineral spirit to make 45 45 10 is not a problem
    Just wondering if using Carunuba Red as a base instead of Alox would work.

Boolit Buddy
    Try using 4 parts by volume JPW to one part Carnauba Red(or just use beeswax in place of the Carnauba Red).

Heat until they mix. Putting a tin can in a boiling water bath is a safe way to heat this mix up.

Then apply this lube to your bullets in another tin can using a hairdryer/heat gun. Warm the bullets first then add a pea to almond sized dollop of lube. Swirl and dump out on wax paper to dry.

It has been reported that the 4:1 JPW/Beeswax version works at top 30-30 velocities of around 2300fps with a properly sized bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post
    Try using 4 parts by volume JPW to one part Carnauba Red(or just use beeswax in place of the Carnauba Red).

Heat until they mix. Putting a tin can in a boiling water bath is a safe way to heat this mix up.

Then apply this lube to your bullets in another tin can using a hairdryer/heat gun. Warm the bullets first then add a pea to almond sized dollop of lube. Swirl and dump out on wax paper to dry.

It has been reported that the 4:1 JPW/Beeswax version works at top 30-30 velocities of around 2300fps with a properly sized bullet.
    Thanks, Thats want I wanted to know I have a good supply of Carnauba Red, Will have ago whipping some up.

Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post

Even without Kiwi's availability issues this seems like an easy to source, mix, and use lube worth knowing about and trying. Thanks.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

"Just wondering if using Carunuba Red as a base instead of Alox would work."

Sorry no not same thing