RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Filament Breaking

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Filament Breaking

I’m new to 3D printing and am on my first role of filament that came with my printer. I’ve been running into problems with the filament breaking while printing. Or at least I think so. It could be the spool is made up of pieces of filament. I don’t want to unroll it to find out.

It will be printing fine and I’ll start working on something else. When I check, the build up has stopped and the filament is broken, with a small piece hanging off the spool. The spool seems to rotate easily and it worked for several hour or so projects before. Now this has happened three times in a row. Any ideas?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m new to 3D printing and am on my first role of filament that came with my printer. I’ve been running into problems with the filament breaking while printing. Or at least I think so. It could be the spool is made up of pieces of filament. I don’t want to unroll it to find out.

It will be printing fine and I’ll start working on something else. When I check, the build up has stopped and the filament is broken, with a small piece hanging off the spool. The spool seems to rotate easily and it worked for several hour or so projects before. Now this has happened three times in a row. Any ideas?
    It could be absorbing moisture from the air. If so, you would need an "oven" to dry the filament. Insulated box with a heat source that is controllable, or a food dehydrator, or similar. https://3dprintbeginner.com/how-to-d...d_snaps_easily

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    It could be absorbing moisture from the air. If so, you would need an "oven" to dry the filament. Insulated box with a heat source that is controllable, or a food dehydrator, or similar. https://3dprintbeginner.com/how-to-d...d_snaps_easily

Bill
    I was wondering about humidity and almost mentioned it in my post. I’m sure that’s the problem if humidity can cause the filament to break. I hope I can fit the spool into my PC oven to dry it out. What temperature and how long would be best?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I was wondering about humidity and almost mentioned it in my post. I’m sure that’s the problem if humidity can cause the filament to break. I hope I can fit the spool into my PC oven to dry it out. What temperature and how long would be best?
    Couldn't give you a proper answer, since I haven't had the problem yet myself, but some folks store their filament in a hotbox. The link I included earlier specifies recommended temperatures and times for various materials. He also uses degrees C, so I have to use my calculator to convert. Lacking any other experience, I'd try his recommendations.

I have only used PLA & ABS so far, and the printer has been buried under a pile of other stuff I haven't gotten to play with for a couple of years now. I have been juggling stuff in the shop pretty hard the past few days, may actually get to start playing with my tools sometime this century if I can keep it up. Two lathes and a mill are where I can reach them now. 3D printer is a little deeper in the pile.

Bill

Moderator Emeritus

Could also be that your spool is binding after a bit. Had it happen where the spool was actually pulled off a set of printed spool bearings and luckily I happened to have heard it. Have to switch to the original spool holder when it gets to low. No idea if there is an increased tension causing your filament to snap. Like Bill, I haven't been able to play with printer in awhile now. I was just starting to fight with PETG filament which was being a royal pain. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What material is your filament?

Best to keep filament that is not in use, in a dry box, some materials have worse issues, IIRC PLA can absorb moisture and once it's absorbed your filament basically cannot be used for high quality prints?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    What material is your filament?

Best to keep filament that is not in use, in a dry box, some materials have worse issues, IIRC PLA can absorb moisture and once it's absorbed your filament basically cannot be used for high quality prints?
    I was just getting started with ABS filament when I had to pack up and move the printer into another room, which has subsequently filled up. Had to drag more stuff in there last night, as the AC system started dumping condensate on the bookcase where a bunch of my new stuff has been landing the last few months. Taking a break from the back kinking up in the other part of the shop, and back at it soon. ABS needs an enclosure to print well. It may wind up with a cardboard box, the way things are going right now. PLA is supposedly bad for breaking when the humidity is high, ABS not so much so. PETG & Nylon are other filaments I want to play with. Among other things I want to print, metric transposition gears for my assortment of lathes. And I NEED to be able to use the workshop as more than a storage area.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Was asking GregLaROCHE really Knew that ABS likes an enclosure, I like ABS a lot (great for custom enclosures for electronics.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Was asking GregLaROCHE really Knew that ABS likes an enclosure, I like ABS a lot (great for custom enclosures for electronics.)
    I'm widely known for telling too much. At least this was a "safe" subject. And I did it in only one moderate paragraph!

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

I’m using PLA that came with the unit. I have no idea what brand it is. In checking the spool, it seems to turn freely. I’ve thought about spraying a bit of silicone on the surfaces that touch, however, I’m pretty sure the problem lies with humidity and will try to dry my filament in my PC oven.

Sorry about taking so long to reply, but my iPad was in the shop getting a cracked screen replaced.