Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Internal shape of sizing dies

Boolit Buddy

Internal shape of sizing dies

I´ve been playing with a new .22 slug swaging die for my .22 condor, I ended up with .222 - .224 " slugs, my FWB 127 and my Benjamin are .221, but the condor is smaller, .218 for what I´ve read. I dont want to make another die so I would like to try with a sizing die, problem is I´ve never seen one, only photos. I have the monster swaging press and a Lee Classic Cast that should be able to handle the task, just need some info on how the internals of the die look like, is it a simple hollowed cylinder? a stepped cylinder? Thanks in advance for your advice
    Last edited by kimoleto; 06-10-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've made several and bought several from RCE. He probably hardens his which I didn't do. Essentially, the internal shape has a lead in angle of around 10 degrees (if I remember) to align the bullet and a straight cylinder of the proper size. The punch needs to be close to the bore size to avoid a fin at the base. Mine worked for resizing .406 to .401 and .315 to .312 but Richard's worked better due to the better fit of his punches.

Boolit Buddy
    Great, I'll try to resize them tomorrow

Boolit Buddy
    I tried to make a resizing die and ended up at .2035, goal was .2175.... first attempt but I´ll get better