RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Area Prep for a Lee 4-20 Electric Bottom Pour Pot?

Area Prep for a Lee 4-20 Electric Bottom Pour Pot?

I've yet to give my new Lee 4-20 Electric Bottom Pour Pot, but I believe that I have everything that I need to get started.
    I've got Gulf Wax whittled with a knife into a sandwich bag as a flux, some dollar store aluminum pans from a dollar store to deposit sprues and boolits, and sacrificial towels to provide extra heat insulation for the cooling lead. I have some flat wood chunks I could use in case more insulation is needed. I also have a box fan to promote airflow out of my work area.

My work surface is most likely going to be a sturdy plastic folding table in the middle of my garage, more than 20 feet away from anything flammable.

Would this be adequate for my first cast? I now have in total about 100 lbs of lead. 60lbs hardball and 40lbs pure lead. Not enough to go crazy on it, but it's going to be enough that I won't have to worry about acquiring boolits for my loads for probably a year or so. If anything, I hope that it will allow me to get to the range more often.

The great thing is, even with the inflated prices of materials these days, I'm still paying about half-price for lead compared to manufactured cast boolits. I just have to get through the effort of doing it myself.

Boolit Buddy
    A good thermometer or better yet get a PID which would control the temperature of your alloy automatically.

Perhaps you are going to do this but putting the Lee Pot on top of a rectangular pan (18" x 24" or thereabouts) will catch any "drips" from the pot and will keep things neat.

A cheap (Walmart) hot plate to warm up your mold before casting would be advisable.

Perhaps a wooden stick to tap the mold if all of the bullets do not drop from your mold.

I use a paint roller pan and put an old towel over it to dump the bullets in from the mold.
    And....and.......(smile).

Good luck to you on your casting. It is fun, but can also be frustrating.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    What Rizzo said, especially a thermometer.

And I'd be careful with that plastic table. A little bit of hot lead dripped on it is liable to cause some drama.

Maybe put a 2'x2' sheet of plywood or something under the pot.

Don't underestimate just how hot 650+ degree molten lead is.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    A good thermometer or better yet get a PID which would control the temperature of your alloy automatically.

Perhaps you are going to do this but putting the Lee Pot on top of a rectangular pan (18" x 24" or thereabouts) will catch any "drips" from the pot and will keep things neat.

A cheap (Walmart) hot plate to warm up your mold before casting would be advisable.

Good luck to you on your casting. It is fun, but can also be frustrating.
    I do have a rubber mallet for bonking the sprue plate loose, and I'm planning on getting more of those shallow rectangular pans from Dollar General since they are cheap and I can always grab more if I need them.

I don't have a spare hot plate, but all but one of my molds are made of aluminum, so they should be able to change temperatures fairly quickly.

I don't have a Thermometer or PID, so I guess I'll just have to play by eye, which is not exactly ideal. Got any leads on a cheap, generally accurate one?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    What Rizzo said, especially a thermometer.

And I'd be careful with that plastic table. A little bit of hot lead dripped on it is liable to cause some drama.

Maybe put a 2'x2' sheet of plywood or something under the pot.

Don't underestimate just how hot 650+ degree molten lead is.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    The table is question is one of those Champion Folding tables, something like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091D2R8ZJ...mcd_asin_0_img

I don't think it's very Lead droplet friendly, so I'll have to make sure that nothing bad happens.

Boolit Master

I set my whole pot in a cake pan so that if it ever "dumps" its contained, use the same pan for sprues.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I use a large aluminum cookie sheet that has edges 1/2" high. It has contained all the leaks and small dumps in the last 20 years.
    Sometimes while heating, the valve at the bottom will start dripping. It may drip slowly or much more quickly. Always a good idea to have a pan of some sort under the pot to contain this.
    I would also suggest a folded towel underneath the pan to protect the table from the heat of a "dump".

Boolit Grand Master

Let me suggest placing an old pizza pan under your pot . If the pot drips everything will be contained in the pan and you have a place to lay hot moulds and stirring/skimming spoons .
    It needs to have a 1" side . Mine is like the New Star Foodservice #51032 pizza pan , baking tray , coupe style ...it is 14 1/2" in diameter and 1" deep ... the 1" sides are the important part .
    I had the pot heating , was looking through some moulds ...and all the lead leaked out , but the deep dish aluminum pan caught everything .
    I think this "coupe" style of pan might mean it has sides or is deep dish .
    Look at the ones on Amazon , they run from small 8" dia. to a large 20" dia. , measure your pot base area and add at least 4" or 5" . My pot is a Lee Magnum Melter and 14 " pan works fine... but a 16" wouldn't hurt . I bought mine years ago at some discount store .
    The metal pan might help protect your table top from drips and spatters that sometimes happen .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I've yet to give my new Lee 4-20 Electric Bottom Pour Pot, but I believe that I have everything that I need to get started.
    I've got Gulf Wax whittled with a knife into a sandwich bag as a flux, some dollar store aluminum pans from a dollar store to deposit sprues and boolits, and sacrificial towels to provide extra heat insulation for the cooling lead. I have some flat wood chunks I could use in case more insulation is needed. I also have a box fan to promote airflow out of my work area.

My work surface is most likely going to be a sturdy plastic folding table in the middle of my garage, more than 20 feet away from anything flammable.

Would this be adequate for my first cast? I now have in total about 100 lbs of lead. 60lbs hardball and 40lbs pure lead. Not enough to go crazy on it, but it's going to be enough that I won't have to worry about acquiring boolits for my loads for probably a year or so. If anything, I hope that it will allow me to get to the range more often.

The great thing is, even with the inflated prices of materials these days, I'm still paying about half-price for lead compared to manufactured cast boolits. I just have to get through the effort of doing it myself.
    1) Safety glasses
    2) Jeans and shoes that fit in the jeans (clothing needs to be cotton or leather)
    3) lightweight leather gloves
    4) Make sure your pot can't get tipped over on you or someone (people recommend clamping your pot to the work surface)
    5) make sure your towel is 100% cotton hot lead will melt blends (I use a cotton towel in a sheet pan to drop my boolits on) my pot is in a smaller sheet pan.
    6) make sure your mold is clean of ALL oils most of the time dawn and a toothbrush get it done but occasionally acetone/brake cleaner/carb cleaner is needed

when you put wax (for fluxing) in your pot be prepared for it to burst into flame (don't jerk and knock your pot over) Fluxing will generate a lot of smoke, Put the fan so it sucks the smoke instead of blows it otherwise you will cool the spout and it will freeze up on you

there is a lot to be said about controlling the temperature or even knowing what the temperature is.

You can dip the corner of aluminum molds in the lead until the lead doesn't stick to warm them up.

Make sure you lube the mold synthetic 2-stroke oil fuel additive works great, a little bottle will last a lifetime (and keep the lube out of the cavities)

Please make sure your lead is clean, dirt will foul the spout. Keep an "L" shaped sturdy wire (I use #12 copper) to clear the spout with the help of needle nosed plyers. I added weight to the handle to help apply downward pressure, helps seal the spout. Temp control helps to alleviate temp issues, the lower the melt is in the pot, the hotter it gets. Take it easy and eliminate issues one step at a time.

And please wear protective clothing and eyewear.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Please make sure your lead is clean, dirt will foul the spout. Keep an "L" shaped sturdy wire (I use #12 copper) to clear the spout with the help of needle nosed plyers. I added weight to the handle to help apply downward pressure, helps seal the spout. Temp control helps to alleviate temp issues, the lower the melt is in the pot, the hotter it gets. Take it easy and eliminate issues one step at a time.

And please wear protective clothing and eyewear.

Slim
    I plan on it! I've got safety glasses and medium thickness leather gloves. I'm thinking one of those face shields might be useful too.

Boolit Master
    I'd also suggest a couple pairs of pliers: a needle nose set for picking up hot sprues and rejects, and a stronger set, maybe even vice grips, for heavier items like hot ingots and ingot (NOT boolit!) molds.

For spill containment, a half or full sized hotel sheet pan with a 1" all around lip works, sometimes found cheap in thrift stores. Even cheaper is a small oil leak tray, the type put under cars to protect garage floors.

Boolit Master
    No animals, kids, or unnecessary movement around the area with ventilation and focus on your pot of lava.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I'd also suggest a couple pairs of pliers: a needle nose set for picking up hot sprues and rejects, and a stronger set, maybe even vice grips, for heavier items like hot ingots and ingot (NOT boolit!) molds.

For spill containment, a half or full sized hotel sheet pan with a 1" all around lip works, sometimes found cheap in thrift stores. Even cheaper is a small oil leak tray, the type put under cars to protect garage floors.
    I do have ingot molds, but no handles on them, so most likely vice grips will have to do there. I've got needle-nose pliers as well. All that remains is a good time window (and patience from my folks) and I can replenish my boolit supplies.

Boolit Master
    I would suggest putting a sheet of 1/2" plywood or (OSB)to cover the entire plastic table top. A good Terry cloth towel folded to drop your hot boolits on and to let cool. I'm not sure what you are trying to insulate unless you are trying to protect the plastic table, a folded towel will do that by it's self. The plywood will protect the entire table top. It will take you a short time to learn the does and don'ts. Experience is the best teacher.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 06-10-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My 2 cents, No distractions, no booze, no food. Tie up your power cord to prevent tripping over it.
    Have fun and report how it went.

Boolit Master

Area Prep for a Lee 4-20 Electric Bottom Pour Pot?

I plan on it! I've got safety glasses and medium thickness leather gloves. I'm thinking one of those face shields might be useful too.
    Highly advise the face shield. My first melt the tinsel fairy paid me a visit and if I didn’t have a scruffy beard I’d be wearing a scar today. Worn a face shield ever since.

Also advise a respirator if you have one. By no means required but helps keep you from breathing those toxic fumes. I’ve been casting for years now and never had a blood test above 0 on the lead blood scale (I request they run it every time I have a physical just to be on the safe side) partially thanks to respirator.

Have fun, post photos of what your setup and your results look like.

Boolit Master
    This is not a slam aginst anyone. I have been casting for 50 years and have never worn a respirator and my blood lead level always comes up 0. At the temps we cast at you will never have lead particle in the air. If you are worried about it a simple shop mask will do. As far as nasty smelling fumes are concerned a fan behind you will keep it away.

Boolit Master
    The table is question is one of those Champion Folding tables, something like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091D2R8ZJ...mcd_asin_0_img

I don't think it's very Lead droplet friendly, so I'll have to make sure that nothing bad happens.
    YMMV, but I would not put anything with molten metal in it on a plastic table like that. I've got several, here, and have worn out a few more. One thing you can count on, some day, something is going to go wrong, and you WILL get molten lead spilling onto that table. Murphy is alive and well, and he wants to come see you! Do not give him a chance to show you the error of your ways!

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There’s been a lot of good advice posted. I would add that I always flux the alloy with sawdust first and then wax. A respirator is the most safe, but if you are outside make sure the breeze is blowing the fumes away from you and maybe consider a fan. I’ve been casting for a few years now and still don’t have a thermometer. I heat the alloy until the boolits start to frost and then turn down the pot some. I would like to have a PID, but it hasn’t worked it’s way to the top of my wish list yet. Don’t forget that lead gets heavy fast and be sure your table can take the weight.

Good luck! I’m sure you will have fun. If you have any questions, this is a great place to ask them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast