WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest 9mm decapping tool

Boolit Buddy

Fastest 9mm decapping tool

I'm contemplating going to the wet tumble method as a means of getting new-looking, shiny brass. Yeah, my pretty shiny dry tumbled stuff looks good and functions perfectly but it's not a bright as factory new stuff. There are several different tools for depriming prior to wet tumbling and I am looking for advice on which is fastest and easiest. I have a Lee APP that I might try after placing my Dillon case feeder above it. Frankford Arsenal makes a hand tool that does the job for some guys I know. This sounds too slow for my purposes. I don't like the idea of just depriming on a 650. What are your thoughts for a high volume operation?

Boolit Buddy
    I just purchased a Lee APP press for brass processing. A case collator kit should help speed up the process. I am waiting for mine to arrive.
    YouTube had a video of a Dillon case feeder on a LEE App press, but I forget who made the video.
    Les

Boolit Master

I use a Pro-1000 with a universal decapping die and case collator/feeder. Works real fast and easy to change the shell plate for different calibers.

I do not resize before tumbling, just remove primers.
    Last edited by Finster101; 06-10-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lesharris View Post
    I just purchased a Lee APP press for brass processing. A case collator kit should help speed up the process. I am waiting for mine to arrive.
    YouTube had a video of a Dillon case feeder on a LEE App press, but I forget who made the video.
    Les
    I bought one as well.

I wish I hadn't. I have been a long time Lee customer. I started with a Lee single stage and then moved to a Lee 1000 and on to a Classic progressive. They took a little tinkering but it did serve me very well.

The customer service from Lee has always been beyond stellar. I do own an RCBS Rock Chucker but aside from that I have been a Lee fan since the late 70's......

Until I had a problem with my APP.

After 40 years of loyalty, I may never buy a Lee product again.

In fact I am removing the broken APP today and replacing it with a single stage press with a proper swage kit.

It makes me sad......

Boolit Grand Master
    Try to get feedback from heavy users of the APP. It just looks a bit chintzy to me. I nearly bought one but decided against it. I wanted it for primer pocket swaging but it might be great for your use.

I hate when folks who process a couple of thousand cases a year give rave reviews because that does not tell me much.

It is like guys who shoot MOA with cast "if they do their part", and post a three shot group from 5 years ago.
    Don Verna

I tumble my brass before sizing to help keep dirt out of my decamping dies.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    I use the APP for de-capping and it has been a big time saver I use the 4tube case feeder and collator .
    Not perfect but very fast and well worth the modest cost imho.

Boolit Buddy
    I do a couple hour tumble in my dry tumbler with corn cob. Run them through my decapper/sizing die. Then put them all in my Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler with SS pins. I likem shiny too.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    To keep the primer pocket residue out of my RCBS press the primers are removed prior to resizing.

Another user of the Lee APP - suggest you clean up the cases a bit first. I've been doing a light corn cob media bowl cycle, keeps the dust and dirt out. Have run 9mm and .223's, my stepson was filling the supply tubes and had a hard time keeping up.

Took just a touch to dial it in but works great.

I still dry tumble, I just change my media a little more often than I used to. It's not completely black.

Harbor Freight special walnut media charged with NuFinish auto polish, capful or 2 every time I run the polisher.

Usually a minimum of 4 hours, polisher is on a timer, I run it when I'm not in the shed when I'm not there.

I think it comes out looking better than factory.

And I don't have to wait for the brass to dry.

That's the nicest part of dry tumbling.

Fastest one I have is a 1050 with a rotary drive, runs about 4000/hr.

Boolit Master

Everything else gets done BEFORE the bathtub! I want shiny new cases, not full of fingerprints from sizing, trimming etc. If I suspect any "grit" or "dirt" I swish em around in a big cheese ball container with Dawn and water and rinse, dry, process then the suds for 3 hours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7522.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	284315
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

That said, if it’s automated and fed by a collator, it doesn’t really matter how fast the cycle time is, as long as it’s faster than you can maintain a loading rate.

I threw this thing together for less than any case fed press costs.

Boolit Master
    I've been working with the APP for the past couple of months. It took me quite a while to get the issues worked out, and now it seems to work well. Once set up, it is very fast for depriming 9mm before wet tumbling. The main issue, using the Lee collator setup, relates to the taper of the case. The "penny" modification works well with both 9mm and .32 H&r/.327 Mag. (drill hole in the exact center of a penny big enough to hold a fired .22 case. Use the penny centered in the collator tray to keep cases from flipping over- there is a good video out there somewhere.) another issue- never ever ever get a .40 case with your 9mm cases, or vice-versa- makes a real mess. Hang in there, it may take a while.
    Loren

I use the FA Hand Depriming tool I can deprime 300 to 500 non swaged 45 acp (LPP) in an hour It comes with collets forsmallerand largerr cases.

Love the automated stuff every time I see one! Wish I had the know how or better yet wish I was your neighbor! Dad always said the 8th deadly sin was dirty primer pockets. Not sure about speed of decapping but you’ll be pleased with SS pin cleaning. And as far as drying…..make a “towel tunnel” with the hair dryer on the end and brass will be dry in 2 min or less. There should be no “waiting” for brass to dry. Best of luck!

I have the Frankford arsenal and it generally works well. I don't know if it is something specific to mine or if they all have this problem, but every so often a case gets stuck and I have to use a pair of plyers to pull it out. It is not something where I have to use a lot of force, just a lite twist and pull. I am not sure, but I think it has to do with either the size or the centering of the flash hole.

Other then that I like it a lot. Also I lost one of the small plastic collets and they sent me a new one free of charge, including postage, and no other questions asked.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I have the Frankford arsenal and it generally works well. I don't know if it is something specific to mine or if they all have this problem, but every so often a case gets stuck and I have to use a pair of plyers to pull it out. It is not something where I have to use a lot of force, just a lite twist and pull. I am not sure, but I think it has to do with either the size or the centering of the flash hole.

Other then that I like it a lot. Also I lost one of the small plastic collets and they sent me a new one free of charge, including postage, and no other questions asked.
    I have one as well, decapped maybe 10k with it. Keep a pair of pliers handy because some brass does hang up on the pin. Even so, the thing is reasonably fast in use if you have the hand strength to stay on it. I do wear a glove now since it was giving me blisters. Did break the return spring, haven’t replaced it. When I have a large batch of brass, say a 5 gal bucket, I’ll rotate between using this tool and using the single stage with a universal decapping die.

I have a spare case collator, keep thinking about the Lee APP.

I also have an APP, it works well but it's a PITA to get it figured out and setup. Different sized tubes, gotta fabricate a bushing for smaller cases, gotta get a 4 tube case feeder and figure out how to make it work, gotta drill and tap to insert a tiny set screw to hold the bushing in - a real PITA. It should COME with all the parts to do it, but it doesn't even suggest what other parts to buy.

But now that I've got it set up, it'll feed 9mm's and .223's quite well.

Boolit Master
    I use a loadmaster with that cheap case feeder to knock the caps out of all my handgun brass with a universal depriming die & proper shell plate - as long as I keep the case slide working smoothly - it doesn't take long to knock the primers out .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast