Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Hornady Lock-N-Load or Lee Breech Lock Update Kit to Convert An Old Rock Chucker?

Hornady Lock-N-Load or Lee Breech Lock Update Kit to Convert An Old Rock Chucker?

After acquiring a 500 S&W Mag, used brass, a set of used RCBS 500 Mag carbide dies and a new Lee Factory Crimp Die, I just received a supply of 350 grain Hornady XTP Mag JHP (item number 50100) and some Cast Performance Gas Checked hard cast 440 grain clear coated bullets.

Not gonna load on my Dillon 550, so it's back to my ancient original RCBS Rock Chucker press. My initial work-up loads with Trail Boss and Lil'Gun were fun to load. Beautiful ammo. I'm really enjoying the slower process of reloading like it's 1979.

Problem: I forgot how long it takes to screw four dies into and out of the single stage press.

Questions:

1. Is it a good idea to convert the Rock Chucker to a quick-change die system?

2. If you guys think the quick-change system is a good idea, should I buy the Hornady Lock-N-Load system? $23 plus an extra adapter for the fourth die; but they're out of stock, naturally. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012999418?pid=858110

or

3. Should I buy the Lee Breech Lock Update Kit system? https://leeprecision.com/1-1-4-12-bl-update-kit.html and https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021759892

Pretty sure the old Rock Chucker has a 1 1/4-12 steel bushing installed that brings the iron down to 7/8-14.

The Hornady set appears to be steel. The Lee seems to be aluminum.

Cost is not prohibitive either way.

Which, in your opinion, is the superior system?

Boolit Master

I have both and the Hornady system is the better of the to.

Boolit Master
    I just use the dies as originally intended. Single stage and progressive.....
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 4 hole turret

Boolit Bub
    This is my first post on this site. So jumping in, I have the Lee Breach Lock press and have owned it for probable ten years now. The only thing I use my RCBS Rock Chucker press for is to size my brass. I have never used the Hornady quick change system and have not used the conversion collet in my RCBS Rock Chucker press even though I own two of the Hornady collets to convert it.
    Price wise the Lee wins since it is currently 8.99 to buy a pack that comes with two quick change collets. The Hornady sells in sets of four or ten or 24 only as fare as I have seen on sites.
    The only draw back of the Lee press compared to the RCBS Rock Chucker press is the strength of the ram. I am guessing that the Hornady will have a stronger ram to it then the Lee does.
    With my Lee Breach Lock press using the quick change collets i load the following calibers. 223rem, 22-250rem, 243win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 25-06rem, 7mm-08rem, 35rem, 30-30WCF, 38-55WCF, 44-40WCF, 45-70gmvt, 30-06sprg, 30M1, 38spl, 357mag, 44spl, 44mag, 45AUTO, 45colt, 380auto, 9mm with out any problems from the Lee press as long as I do the sizing on the RCBS press.
    I hope this helps.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Boolit Master
    FWIW I got one of the Lee upgrade kits for my Classic Cast Single Stage press when the first came out. The 1 - 1/4 12 thread to breechlock bushing is plastic not aluminum. I haven't used mine much but I haven't seen any reports where this adapter has failed either.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Bub
    I have thought of doing the same but then realized that I use the Rockchucker far more for other cartridges and I would need a couple dozen sets of either to make it possible. Possible but not PRACTICAL!
    So I will save the cost and ENJOY making loads, etc. with my press the old fashion way and loving every bit of it!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Finding a Hornady conversion kit is impossible. Looks like everything else Fauci and his Health Directors have shut down as "non-essential" -- the Hornady conversion adapter that screws into the Rock Chucker is backordered everywhere, even if the die-adapters are available. Midway, Natchez, eBay -- nobody has them.

Simply not available.

Apparently the entire nation has discovered reloading at the same time. Can't find primers to save my life. Good thing I laid in a supply a couple of years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Renofish View Post
    I have thought of doing the same but then realized that I use the Rockchucker far more for other cartridges and I would need a couple dozen sets of either to make it possible. [snip]
    So I will save the cost and ENJOY making loads, etc. with my press the old fashion way and loving every bit of it!

I can't say I disagree with you. All I can say is that loading .357 and .45ACP by the hundreds got really tedious. My first Dillon RL 450 progressive (with screw-in dies -- no tool block) was revolutionary. Now it's upgraded to a 550 with removable tool heads.

My Rock Chucker is still on the bench, though. Bullet pulling, decapping, push-through sizing after casting, swaging .40 brass into .44 bullets (see Manny CA at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC2Ad3k3kgg ) -- it's always there, and has been a reliable team member since about 1978. I'd never get rid of it.

Boolit Master
    I have no experience with the Breech lock but do with Hornady system on a LNL progressive.

I have some unlocking issues on the powder charging station. I know there is a shim kit that is supposed to fix that. I thought of a thicker O-ring.

My .02 worth

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I like the Hornady quick change. if they ever get loose or just to be sure, call Hornady and they will send you free shims or at least they did when I called.
    new o rings in bulk bags of 100 can be found for cheap at mscdirect. I had not thought of trying oversize o ring but might just be an option.
    ive got a newer breach lock single stage lee press but those bushing have been impossible to find. so the few times ive used it just screwed dies in and out like in the good ole days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    2. If you guys think the quick-change system is a good idea, should I buy the Hornady Lock-N-Load system? $23 plus an extra adapter for the fourth die;
    Well, you asked:

I can exchange individual screwed-in dies in a bit less than a minute. I can exchange quick gadget dies in about 6-8 seconds each, making total quicky-swaps in something under a minute. Screwed in dies take me a total of about four minutes so time saved by the gimmics would be about three minutes per loading session.

I usually load handgun ammo for about two hours at a time. Any half twist gadgets would cut my total bench time from about 120 minutes down to only 117 minutes of doing something I enjoy anyway and it would only require I first buy about twenty sets of bushings at $25 each to accomplish it.

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Renofish View Post
    I use the Rockchucker far more for other cartridges

I thought this too, then realized I could unscrew the Lee or Hornady adapter and re-insert the original Rock Chucker steel adapter, returning the press to original strength and functionality.

Boolit Bub
    Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings (2 Pack)
    006-90600 | Lee
    $8.77

At MidSouth.com in stock this very moment.

I like the Lee Quick Change collet system because it saves components since you set the seat die once for a particular bullet and you can remove the collet with the seat die in it and return it at a later date and OAL will be the same. Guaranteed that the OAL will be the same AS LONG AS YOU USE THE SAME shell holder as you did when you set it up. I always write on my mould box what brand of shell holder I used in permanent marker.
    In these current times I think saving components is more important then saving time. Having to adjust the seat die every time you put it in the press risks a short OAL which is waisted components.