Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: MEC Grabber

Boolit Master

MEC Grabber

I just acquired a MEC 762R Grabber .410. It's pretty old but it seems to work fine.
    I've never used a shotshell loader but by reading the manual, I'm figuring it out.
    So, what sort of stripping and cleaning should I do? I don't want to start removing things that don't need removing, but it could use some cleaning and lube.

Boolit Buddy
    Read the instructions - station by station. I bought a used one and just used WD40 to clean all the junk off. Then lubed as per instruction with real oil as directed. Moly grease for the collet.

Mineral spirits work well.

Did I mention reading the instructions?

Also, I bout an older 76 grabber. Old enough that it had metal parts - dies and wad finger holder. I did upgrade thos to current parts from MEC.

Boolit Master
    I've read them several times (online manual) but the pics are faded and hard to see. I found a video online of a similar MEC loader - exactly the same, only different.

Boolit Master

try youtube. They still have some good video's

Boolit Master
    I searched YouTube. Like I said, they had some similar loaders but not mine. I was thinking that maybe someone would say something like, "Yeah, I have one, watch out for....", or make sure you adjust this..." that kind of thing.
    Anyhoo, it works, no issues yet. I also got hundreds of .410 hulls, wads, lots of shot, hundreds of primers, questionable powder that I dumped, so I'll just have at it.

Boolit Buddy

Moderator Emeritus

I don't have that model of .410 but don't over think it. MEC's are almost bullet proof and operate the same within a series.
    Here is another pdf link
    https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/...ts/grabber.pdf

Boolit Master
    Those are the links and manuals I've been using. It does look bullet proof. It sat in a damp basement for years, with powder in the cannister (I dumped it in the garden). I was loading a dummy round and it dropped a shot charge when it shouldn't have. User error, I'm sure. I'd like to clean it all up but I know I shouldn't start taking it apart.
    It also came with hundreds of loaded rounds, age unknown. I'm going to test fire some of them.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Those are the links and manuals I've been using. It does look bullet proof. It sat in a damp basement for years, with powder in the cannister (I dumped it in the garden). I was loading a dummy round and it dropped a shot charge when it shouldn't have. User error, I'm sure. I'd like to clean it all up but I know I shouldn't start taking it apart.
    It also came with hundreds of loaded rounds, age unknown. I'm going to test fire some of them.
    Just as easy to reclaim the shot and primer. I would be very leery of shooting them. FYI pressing out a live primer is no big deal on a MEC. I have done plenty just go slow with even pressure.

Boolit Master
    I use my 762R 12 gauge the most. The collet sizer on all the MEC's is the same of that model. It requires the most attention. I'd disassemble and clean it. I use a PTFE based grease for lube. Either Super Lube or Rock n Roll Super Web grease. The rest I use my zoom spout CLP. As long as parts are working, I'd hold off disassembly. If something is gummed up and not plastic, I'd clean it in place with Brakleen. I use lock dry lube on the powder bar. That chrome plating on the housing is prone to rust easily and the rust needs to be removed and slicked up. Be aware of the brass and neoprene washers that contact the charge bar/bushing.

If you have a problem with your MEC don't hesitate to call tech support and they'll walk you right through it. Great Folks. There's a member on Shotgunworld.com called "curly no hair" that knows his stuff and has pictorials and advice with the rookie in mind. Good Luck and welcome to the most frustrating part of reloading.

Boolit Master
    Good info. I'm tempted to do a thorough cleaning, which means some level of disassembly, but I think I'll leave it for now. It does work well. I'll check out Shotgunworld.com.
    I passed on a 12 ga and 20 ga MEC loaders.