MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cicadas

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Cicadas

A friend of mine living in Maryland just told me about the terrible cicada problem. She says there are so many dead ones piled up in her yard that everything is starting to smell like rotten meat.

What are others experiencing where you are? Is the problem that bad all along the East Coast?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in northern NJ, Have not seen or heard a cicada yet this year.

Moderator Emeritus

Gotten lucky on my mountain. Sounds like a UFO space ship is landing , especially when they started surrounding us. Only seen maybe two dozen yesterday which was our first major day of them. Down into town about 30 mins away and it is like an invasion. Rrally messes up your windshield. UPS driver said he even got them in his boot while driving. Did see where news stated if you have shellfish allergies, don't eat them.

+1 on this. I am in the Eastern Pan Handle area of WV. Drove to the range the other day and now I can barely see out my windshield. In my neighborhood it is not too bad due to the fact that most of the land in the area has been developed since the last time the cicadas were out.

My mother in law, who lives in Rockville, Md., Says the noise is driving her batty. Although some entrepreneur in Montgomery cty md. started selling Chocolate covered cicadas.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Gotten lucky on my mountain. Sounds like a UFO space ship is landing , especially when they started surrounding us. Only seen maybe two dozen yesterday which was our first major day of them. Down into town about 30 mins away and it is like an invasion.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    There are several broods of them. Ours is different than Illinois which is likely different than Maryland.

Maryland has the same brood as Indiana. Anyone in Indiana have them yet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	activebroods.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	284220
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    My mother in law, who lives in Rockville, Md., Says the noise is driving her batty. Although some entrepreneur in Montgomery cty md. started selling Chocolate covered cicadas.[/QUOTE]

A co-worker of mine was from Laos, when cicadas came out I remember him telling us that they are very good. Can’t remember how or if they cooked them or ate as is.
    He said “ Cicada good ! No taste like chicken” !
    Here in southern middle Tenn, I’ve not heard or see any yet.
    Back couple year ago when we had chickens, they would jump and go up and snatch them out of the air. Quite a show with 32 free range chickens in your back yard and a swarm of screaming cicadas.

Mike

Mike

Boolit Master
    We've got patches of them around indianapolis, none around my neighborhood, though. I remember from the last 17 year peak, the distribution of the brood is spotty. I've heard stories about the carcasses being 2 or 3 inches deep in some areas! My wife, who is a hospice nurse and travels all over central Indiana, ran across a batch of them and recorded it with her phone...it sounds like the glitter rockets on forth of July!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Chickens "are vegetarians", some claim. Tell that to the mice and bugs they assault on sight! Chickens are brutal on 'em.

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't seen any yet.

Boolit Grand Master

None here yet, we had them last year.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I wonder what restrictions our demon-crat politicians will come up with because of these bugs... They say 20 miles south of me they're getting bad, but here, we haven't seen any yet. We had em last time, so I'm sure they'll be here again.

If these are pic's of what you're talking about we have them here in Central Texas but not in epidemic numbers. Folks around here incorrectly call them locusts. They're a soothing sound to compliment a cool evening ("cool" is relative term in Texas). I see the husks attached here & there & my dog likes to eat them.
    Attachment 284221Attachment 284222
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    took a little field trip to pigeon forge last week and pulled into the rest area on 40 and the dang things were so loud I think I would want good ear plugs if I were a trucker wanting to get some sleep. but there is barely a peep from any of them at my place. I found one brown husk on tree by my driveway but that's it, but, the fireflies are staring to come out here and folks come flocking in the area every year to watch the firefly show.

Boolit Grand Master

Be careful driving when they are heavy like this they are worse than ice on the roads

Boolit Master
    Farmbif, which state are you in if it’s ok to ask ?

Boolit Master
    I'm in east Tennessee on the edge of the smokies

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    There are several broods of them. Ours is different than Illinois which is likely different than Maryland.

Maryland has the same brood as Indiana. Anyone in Indiana have them yet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	activebroods.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	284220
    Oh God can't breath for them ...one county over ...none.

Boolit Master
    They are really bad here in SE PA. They are everywhere. The newspaper reported their noise is at the 100 DB level. The noise reminds me of phaser fire from Star Trek. Their noise is constant, dawn to dusk. I mowed the lawn yesterday, and wearing ear plugs, I could hear them, over the sound of the lawn mower. Supposedly they are relatively harmless. They don't bite or sting, and they don't eat foliage. They mate, lay their eggs and die. The noise they make, is in effort to attract a mate. They are a great food source for creatures of the forest. I hear that Copperhead snakes are especially fond of them.

I grew up seeing cicadas (we called them locusts) every year! We didn’t seem to see the massive hatch that many areas are experiencing. Seeing cicadas (locusts) was just another day growing up in Louisiana! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Quote from GBertolet.....I hear that Copperhead snakes are especially fond of them.

As are some of the CNN “talking heads”! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast