Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Swapping G23s.

Boolit Master

Swapping G23s.

I'm a big fan of .40 S&W so when Glock released the brand new Gen 5 G23, I had to have one. I had bought the Gen 5 G19, and it is a tack driver and gets 1" groups at 25 yards.

So when the G23 arrived, was hugely disappointed that it couldn't do better than 3" at 25 yards, and usually around 4" to 5". My $180 Taurus G2c is more accurate.

So, ordered a NIB Glock Gen 4 G23 last night and can't wait to see how it shoots. Other than the dismal accuracy, it is a great pistol that feels great and is very accurate up to 10 yards, so perfectly adequate for a defensive pistol. But, I like having a sidearm on me that I have complete confidence in that it will shoot sub-2" groups at 25 yards.

This is the new Glock. Not a fan of cerakote, but do like colored guns, and a NIB Gen 4 G23 is almost impossible to find these days.

Attachment 284234
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Hello Idaho 45 guy could you tell about what kind of ammunition you're using and what kind of rest you're using? If you're doing that off hand you are a fantastic pistol shot and I'd like to learn about what exercises you do for training.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I know what you mean about accuracy. I have a gen 2 19 that with Federal 9mm BPLE will do 1" at 25 yards. It's not even all that pretty! But, the downside (isn't there always one?) is that of course it's a nine and no, I don't think the nine is fine. How I would love to have a 23 that could shoot that well!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Hello Idaho 45 guy could you tell about what kind of ammunition you're using and what kind of rest you're using? If you're doing that off hand you are a fantastic pistol shot and I'd like to learn about what exercises you do for training.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Off-hand, my groups go up to around 3" around 25 yards with the same gun. I have to use a rest and reloads to get excellent groups. My Gen 4 G29 10mm will do an inch using Unique and 180 Hornady XTPs...

Attachment 284245

The G19 will do an inch with 115gr Hornady XTPs and Power Pistol...

Attachment 284246

Earlier, I was getting awful groups out of the G23 and not very good groups out of my other pistols. I figured out that it was my glasses and how they configured the progressive lenses. The target was clear, but the sights were blurry. Didn't even notice it until I could no longer shoot great groups. So yesterday, I got out my last pair of glasses, and lo and behold, the sights are again crystal clear and my other guns are shooting great, but the G23 is still not impressive.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

New pistol was picked up from my FFL today. Favorable so far. I was on my way to work a 12-hr shift and stopped by the Post Office and the Dawson sights I had ordered for it arrived. So I installed the front sight while sitting in my car in the parking lot at work. Will do the rear sight when I get home tomorrow.

Discovered that the factory front sight was not tightened down after they put the cerakote finish on, so that would have been bad for someone not realizing it and seeing their POI change randomly.

Trigger is very good for a Gen 4 with little creep and crisp let off. A bit heavy. But, already have a (-) connector that will get it down about a pound. Can't wait to shoot it!

Attachment 284773

Attachment 284774

Attachment 284775

Boolit Master

Got the Dawson sights installed, extended slide release installed, then polished the connector and installed it and the trigger is still too heavy, too gritty, and about 5.5 lbs.

I hate Glock triggers. They are witchcraft. Every one is just a little different and responds differently to mods. Tempted to just replace the whole assembly with an aftermarket one.

Attachment 284868

Boolit Buddy
    Do you think the cerakote could be responsible for the gritty heavy trigger?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    Do you think the cerakote could be responsible for the gritty heavy trigger?
    I believe the cerakote screwed up a couple of things...

Took it to the range today and shot it alongside my Gen 5 G23. First group, it got one shot on an 8" pie plate while the Gen 5 got a decent 3" group. Each group got better and better, then the last group had a flyer.

When I got it home and cleaned it, there were cerakote shavings everywhere. Most notably, it was built up in the barrel hood area where it locks to the slide. That likely affected accuracy.

I ended up ordering a Timney trigger group that they just came out with in February. They completely redesigned the Glock trigger system from the ground up and it is apparently amazing with 3 lb pulls as crisp as a 1911's.

So, can't wait to get that and try it out. If it's too light for carry, then I'll swap it into my Gen 4 G35 match gun, and put it's internals in the G23 since it has a nice 4.5 lb trigger.

Last groups of the day, and I got a flyer on both...

Attachment 284924

Attachment 284925

Boolit Master

Did a video series of the range day. No video editor, so they are crude compared to HR Funk's awesome videos.