RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cosmoline as an undercoat for my truck?

Banned

Bar and chain lube thinned and sprayed onto underside at least every other year.

Boolit Buddy
    got to ask........what are you thinning the bar and chain lube with ?????

Banned

Kerosene or mineral spirits, ATF. Whatever is on hand.

Cast Boolits Owner

For a period of time I rebuilt (catapult) water brakes, spears, grabs, shuttles, and strip guides for Naval Inventory Control Point (NAVICP). Preservation and packaging was more important than the part itself. Cosmoline was alway specified for raw machined surfaces. We used many different versions with consistencies from very thick to very thin - some had to be warmed in order to be applied.

I believe based on my experience that Cosmoline will survive the elements for small period of time but is best used for preserving items stored in an atmosphere such as a warehouse that will protect the preserved item from direct contact with the elements.
    Last edited by No_1; 06-11-2021 at 06:12 AM.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Longevity is a concern, as is heat. I read regular mil-spec Cosmoline has a melting point of around 135 degrees, (which ain't very promising anywhere near an exhaust system). They advertise their RP-342 as a vehicle undercoating, Marine shaft and propeller coating, lawn mower blades, off shore drilling platforms and equipment, Military Specifications: MIL-PRF-16173, Grade 4 and MIL-C-83933.

Sort of like tomme boy's post with the bar oil coating I know of folks using various oil mixtures sprayed on or painted on to prevent rust under their vehicles. My idea came almost as a joke seeing a bunch of M-1 Carbines coated with a thick mess of Cosmoline on a guy's table at a gun show, ''Gee, only $1,800.00 and a pound of free Cosmoline! I could undercoat my truck with that stuff!'' Then I got to thinking that maybe it's not so crazy after all. They advertise it as, * Vehicle undercarriage / undercoating (cars, buses, trucks, etc.) - Quite possibly the most effective, longest-lasting aerosol undercoating on the face of the Earth. At $84.00 a gallon I may try tomme boy's recipe though. The price isn't bad compared to rubberized undercoating though.

Cast Boolits Owner

Cosmoline is very effective as well as resilient when used correctly. Properly applied and protected it will last indefinitely as witness by the condition of surplus guns being sold now which were rebuilt then preserved during or after a war.

Will it do for your undercarriage? Most likely yes Is it the proper product for the protection you need? Most likely no.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

For cheaper and probably just as good, I think I'll go with something on the line of tomme boy's bar oil idea. It also gives me an excuse to buy one of those large pump oil cans that I'm some-how missing in my life for the application.

Cast Boolits Owner

Years ago the “oil rack” was out back of the gas station. Once they finished the oil change they would coat with used motor oil (by spraying) the underside of your vehicle if ask. It worked well. The GOV stopped that practice in late 60’s / early 70’s.
    - Albert Camus -

Banned
    Something to think about when your spraying any sort of goop around the underside of your vehicles.
    Always ask yourself this question ... is this something I am going to want to deal with when it comes time to do suspension repairs or brake and gas line repairs.

Ask yourself that even if you do not work on your vehicles because at some point someone will have to do it .
    Dealing with half an inch of rubberized undercoating can add to your bill substantially

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    There used to be an undercoating called Zeibart smelled just like Alox 2138f. Maybe find out what dealers are using for an undercoat today and what the ingreidents are. Frank
    Ziebart was a major selling point for used cars where I came from.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Undercoating is not specifically designed to "prevent" rust. It is mainly used on underneath surfaces like floorboards, wheelhouses and such. It deadens sound, seals small crevices and provides some protection.

There is a rust prevention material sprayed inside panels such as fenders, fronts of hoods, quarter panels and doors. This product is designed to prevent rust as it stays flexible .

I worked on cars for many years and I cringe when people have many home remedies to fix and solve problems. Use the product designed for the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12