Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Exploding Shotgun Shells OUTSIDE the barrel. Slow Motion. Trap,Buckshot and Slug. !!!

Banned

Exploding Shotgun Shells OUTSIDE the barrel. Slow Motion. Trap,Buckshot and Slug. !!!

Exploding Shotgun Shells OUTSIDE the barrel. Slow Motion. Trap,Buckshot and Slug. !!! EXPERIMENT !!!

!!! Warning !!! Read Before Playing Video !!!

This video was made under very controlled conditions, under the supervision of the shooting range administrator - do not reproduce it yourself !!!

This video serves as a demonstration of shooting, not the production of a weapon !!! (Experimental- Do not recreate)
    I hope you enjoy the video. Thank you.

In this video you will see three different shotgun shells exploding outside the barrel. Trap,Buckshot and Slug.
    What Happens? What powerful?
    I used a Gopro Hero 9 camera for slow motion. 240 fps.

WARNING !!! This video is intended for scientific and entertaining purposes only. Any actions in this video shall not be a call to repeat them ! Do not try to do this at home, the author shall not be hold liable for any of your actions performed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-thbgj1nps0

Boolit Master

Interesting. Points to there should be little worry about shotgun shells cooking off in a house fire etc.

I was surprised the shot wasn’t more powerful than it was. I liked the video, well put together.

Boolit Master
    Several years ago one of the home fire experimental labs did a lot of testing with detonation of different rounds in different scenarios. The end result? There is very little chance of serious injury if ammunition explodes in the case of a house fire or similar.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Buddy
    I'm curious about coca-cola can saying "original" in Ukrainian

Boolit Grand Master

SAAMI did extensive testing. Hundreds of pounds of various ammunition, shot shell and bulleted. The conclusion, there was no danger to firemen in standard turn out gear.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Very entertaining Jimbo...already saw the one about exploding ammo in a fire so I knew what to expect.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Many years back we did a similar demonstration for the Fire Department. It consisted of ammunition being placed on a pile of firewood which was set ablaze. It showed them that the biggest threat from burning ammunition was the brass cases. When (and if) the powder ignited, the (lighter) case became the "projectile" travelling further that the (heavier) bullet(s) in 99% of the cases.
    Ref the video, it is informative for what it is. Showing these detonations without the retention device would likely show similar results to the testing I mentioned......the (now) empty hull would go one direction while the heavier shot/slug load would likely stay fairly close to its original position.....
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master
    My computer doesn't like following youtube links in this browser for some unknown reason.

I have unintentionally set off a 12 gauge round with a riding lawnmower, (it must have fell out of the floorboard of the car or truck I was driving at the time). All it did was make a loud noise, nothing came out from under the deck. It does make me a bit leery of the new style decks with the discharge chute that covers a large section of the rightmost blade.

Not that I recommend anyone from doing this on purpose.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't seen it done since the mid 70's but taping a marble or ball bearing on the primer and throwing it down on a hard surface would set it off. The shot normally stayed in the case and base would split open or the shot would basically stay put and the case would eject it's self off the shot and wad column. Same for shooting the primer with a pellet rifle.

The mass of the clamp holding the case to the firing mechanism not a very realistic scenario

Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-08-2021 at 08:08 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Interesting video. I’m surprised YouTube allowed it.

In my staring into the campfire days of my youth, .22 ammo and shotgun shells occasionally chunked into the flames provided excitement but luckily no injuries. My best friend tossed in a .270 shell once and we all retreated and watched- the brass blew out of there fast enough to put it into bad idea category!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

No surprises there at all. Of course the powder needs to be contained in a pressure vessel. The shell or cartridge (if metallic) is nothing more than a jig that holds everything in the proper relationship.

Boolit Master

Very quickly it could be predicted what the buck and trap loads would not do. The wad was traveling pretty fast though. Seeing every shell cocked was repetitive, though bare handed, a slip might be a bad day.

My son had a shotgun shell of #4 steel go off out of battery while partially chambered in a Win Model 1300. The Breech Bolt Slide locked up in mid-stroke. The metal tang of the Slide Arm Bridge had "jumped" forward of its intended groove. Following a gunsmith's evaluation, Winchester Warranty Service was contacted and they repaired/replaced several bent parts.

.......... ..........
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Great and interesting video!

400,000 rounds...

*SOB*
    Last edited by kevin c; 06-09-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    The gravel surface on our bays is full of unfired rounds. On cold days when a burn barrel helps keep the range officers warm you can always tell the newbies from the grizzled old hands huddled around the barrel when a round lights off:

WHUMMMPHH!!!!

Newbie, jumping back ten feet,"OHMYGAWD!! What was that?".

Old timer, still warming his hands without even flinching, "Yeah, how 'bout them 'Niners?".

Boolit Buddy
    Very interesting!

Boolit Master

I saw a similar video by a company that makes an alarm gun it had grooves like a shot shell press to slide shell in but worked the same . Pretty much same results except they had a couple black powder shells added in and they would do a bit more damage .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

This must be a fake video. I have seen lots of movies where Bullets where thrown into a fire and they went off like a machine gun.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

Very interesting. It mirrors reports of ammunition cooking off in a fire unable to penetrate sheetrock
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum