MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Molds Like This for the 35?

Boolit Master

Any Molds Like This for the 35?

My 98 Mauser that was sporterized is finicky on loading cast boolets. I've been using the Lyman/Ideal 358318 RN to feed from the magazine for this 35 Whelen rifle, but can't say I am enamored with that particular slug. FN boolits will not load from the magazine at all if they are full length, a common malady with these.
    The other day found in my kit some 158 Hornaday Hollow point jacketed SMC's I loaded 20 years ago for fun. Shot a few for old times sake and it was very pleasing. They are short enough to load flawlessly from the magazine well. With a hacksaw, drill and a couple files I took the 358318 and turned it into a 180 grain LFN boolit, which is the weight I was looking for:
    Attachment 284225

This matches the hp swc for length perfectly:
    Attachment 284226

If I keep the exposed portion of this wide flat nose (.250" meplat) to .30" then this, too, cycles perfectly in the rifle.
    Attachment 284227

Problem, I can't find a current mold maker that makes something akin to this with a gas check design. I want to potentially spit these out from 1,800 to 2,100 fps.
    Have any suggestions on where to find what I am looking for?

Boolit Master
    Tom at Accurate may be able to make what you want.

Boolit Master

Also recommend Accurate.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...avity-gc-rcbs/
    My rifle does not allow the 250 Gr, boolit to chamber so this boolit is where I went to for the solation

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dh2 View Post
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...avity-gc-rcbs/
    My rifle does not allow the 250 Gr, boolit to chamber so this boolit is where I went to for the solation
    Dh2, that is over a .5" nose from the crimp groove to the nose. I doubt it will feed in my Mauser straight from the magazine as flat nose boolits bind on the edge of the meplat and edge of the chamber, which really buggers their profiles up ugly. The round nose style just feeds in, while the SP will slide in nicely. Without trying a few of those for fit and function I don't think paying for that mold will be my answer. Plus, they are out of stock, as much of everything is right now. Thank you, though, for the suggestion, I do appreciate it.

Banner Sponsor

Have you looked at the Ranch Dog 35-190? It has a little bit longer nose, but should work well for your Whelen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rd35-190.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	284266

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rd35-190-2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	284267

Moderator Emeritus

No location listed but the rifle might be improperly throated, I would start with cerrosafe or a pound cast and see about having the throat reamed.

A barrel should be able to fit the factory cartridges it is chambered for including the 250 gr Whelen cartridges. I had an A&B barrel installed and have not experienced problems at all, nor have I heard of "A common malady with these".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    lar45, those are pretty. MT Gianni, the rifle does chamber factory cartridges, including 250 gr Whelen SP's and RN. The problem I am having is that the longer flat nose lead bullets won't feed without cutting in on the chamber edge. I'm not the only Military action Mauser shooter that has this problem from my research. That isn't to say that this chamber can't use an expert eye, but any normal jacketed bullet feeds and shoot just fine. But I want to enjoy shooting many cast boolits from this rifle. Thus my trials to make this work out.

The cost of a new custom mold get steep if this won't actually work so the hacksaw, file, sandpaper and drill was employed again. This time the 358318 was cut to length (.67) once again but with the full nose width left in tact. Would it chamber? Yes, surprisingly, it did with the bullet nose extended out of the case mouth by .30". The .250" compared to the .330" nose cross section:
    Attachment 284271

But it did snag on the edge a bit:
    Attachment 284272 Still, that was promising.

Noe makes this 182 gr WFN GC .360 mold that could do the trick, if it feeds smoothly:
    Attachment 284273

Chucked up in the drill the meplat was reduced to .280" to mimic the NOE offering:
    Attachment 284274
    It cycled beautifully and repeatedly. I believe the dilemma has been solved. If NOE can produce one of these molds (everything is sold out except one aluminum non GC mold) then I know what to do to enjoy playing with this Mauser more often.

Maybe the next test will be to reshape a 358318 to resemble the dimensions of the 360-214 FN that dh2 recommended to see if it will chamber.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Have you looked at the lee 358 200 flat nose bullet?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My suggestion is a RCBS OR SAECO 180 bullet.

But Lar is right that ol Ranch Dog 190 osis a great one and if hunting its a much better bullet.

I have all three if you would like a few to try PM me and pay shipping.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Tom at Accurate may be able to make what you want.
    can't beat Tom for getting what you want
    just ask him he will probably do it for you
    a man of many talents
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    This is the lee bullet. I load them in 38 special brass, shoot them in a rotary magazine 357 magnum rifle. Over all length is 1.62 inches and they feed perfect. They might work for what you are trying to do.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A bit more tinkering this evening. With the good things said about the RD 190, NOE 214, the Saeco and RCBS 180's another 358318 was sacrificed for research, creating a fair facsimile of the NOE 214 grain boolit taken from the website (please keep in mind that this is only for finding out what works, not to infringe on NOE's designs. I'm using a hacksaw, file, sand paper and a battery drill to cobble these up).
    With a meplat of .221 +/-", a nose length of .5" this is the result:
    Attachment 284306

Kinda pretty, but will it function with half an inch protruding from the case mouth? It did......when I only loaded it one at a time. Having played this game before I loaded all three experimental dummies in the magazine. If the NOE copy was first in line or third down in the magazine well then, yes, it would chamber quite well. BUT, if it were second in the stagger the flat grabbed the chamber entrance every time. Notice the nick on the meplat:
    Attachment 284307

Did you happen to see the black line on the circumference of the boolit? That was a predetermined measure of .40" nose protrusion out of the case mouth. Setting the bullet deeper into the case to meet that line again I sought to see if this shorter boolit would load any better from any position in the magazine stagger. Surprisingly enough, it did. Multiple times from top, middle or bottom of the three dummies tested this NOE 214 copy at .40" sticking out was the winner over the other two stubbies, by far. After a bit one of the stubby boolits, mainly the one with the broader meplat, would catch the chamber edge. Glad to say the NOE 214 copy did not bind up one time when loaded .10" shorter than designed. Whether cycled slow, medium or fast, from port arms or butt on the shoulder the NOE copy feed freely every time, and there were a couple dozen times.
    Attachment 284310

The 358318 boolit used in this test had plenty of forward band to accommodate setting the boolit into the case mouth further. I am not sure if the actual projectiles from the molds you gentlemen suggested allows that or not. This, too, will need to be looked into. I appreciate all you suggestions as I find the conclusion of this search for the perfect target and hunting boolit for this particular rifle.
    Last edited by ChristopherO; 06-10-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a very old no longer made Lyman 190 grain or could be closer to 200 round nose mold that supposedly is the same bullet that law enforcement used to use long ago in 38spl. it was famous for key holing into bad guys. I'm not sure where I put the mold have not used it but I'll dig it out in next couple days if you interested and someone else doesn't know the number. it just might work for what you need

Boolit Master
    farmbif, thank you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I have a very old no longer made Lyman 190 grain or could be closer to 200 round nose mold that supposedly is the same bullet that law enforcement used to use long ago in 38spl. it was famous for key holing into bad guys. I'm not sure where I put the mold have not used it but I'll dig it out in next couple days if you interested and someone else doesn't know the number. it just might work for what you need
    Sounds like a 358430. I have that mold, drops at 193gr with clip on wheel weights. I use it in my model 14 Remington, and it works well.

Boolit Master
    Had some time to do load work up today. One more try with the Lyman/Ideal 358318 RNGC design. Lubed with 2500+ and BLL loaded over 28 gr of IMR 4227, tuff of Dacron and CCI 300 LP (I estimate this to be in the 1,920fps area). 100 yards. Try as I might I can't seem to get these and this Mauser to put it together like I want it to
    Attachment 284664

In case you think the rifle, or I, can't shoot, this is what 7 grains of Bullseye with a SAECO 175 gr PB can do at 60 yards in the same outing
    Attachment 284665
    At least this 5 shot string makes a heart glad.

Boolit Master
    I like the look of the Noe 360-228-FN (35XCB)

I plan on using it for my 35 Whelen ... Just have to cast some up

Boolit Master
    The problem you are having with feeding from your x military 98 Mauser has to do with the inside measurements of the magazine box. The cartridges are crowded due to the width at the shoulder of the Whelen cartridge. The box is the correct measurement for the 8 mm most likely. Find a competent smith to alter the box. If he says he will work on the feed rails, politely leave with your rifle in hand and seek help elsewhere.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 06-18-2021 at 01:58 AM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    I like the look of the Noe 360-228-FN (35XCB)

I plan on using it for my 35 Whelen ... Just have to cast some up
    I agree, that looks intriguing to me, also, but I want to hunt with cast and that tiny meplat concerns me for that purpose. If there were documented tests done that show it expands adequately with a certain alloy mix, then it could get my nod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast