Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Molds Like This for the 35?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    The problem you are having with feeding from your x military 98 Mauser has to do with the inside measurements of the magazine box. The cartridges are crowded due to the width at the shoulder of the Whelen cartridge. The box is the correct measurement for the 8 mm most likely. Find a competent smith to alter the box. If he says he will work on the feed rails, politely leave with your rifle in hand and seek help elsewhere.
    Good to know. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    I have not put my hands on that old Lyman mold yet, but 358430 just might be it. gotta find that bag of old 38 moulds. ive got several for 35 whelen, 35 rem, 357mag but my classic Remington 700 in 35 whelen shoots real well with NOE COPY OF RCBS 35-200 , checked and lube sized at .360.
    I had big plans to work up new loads with some old camp Perry powder, AA2520, with RCBS 35-250 but too many other projects have gotten in the way.

Banner Sponsor

ChristopherO, I'm wondering if your test with the LFN-ish bullets were maybe just going too fast?
    If it were me, I'd try starting around 1400-1500fps and work up 50 fps at a time until the groups opened up to find your top end velocity. Another thought would be to play with the seating depth to make sure you're engaging the lands with the nose.
    Just some random thoughts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    Good to know. Thank you.
    You are welcome! I ran into the same problem when building a .338-06 AI on a 1909 Mauser. I found the solution in one of the Mauser books, I think it was the one by Ludwig Olsen. There is a formula to calculate the dimension at the shoulder. Each model of the Mauser is sized for the cartridge it comes in, in this (my) case it was the 7.65x53 Argentine.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    chris ,, I have a older Lyman # 2660315 ,, 358315 , 204gr., RN GC , 35 cal. ck. out this # and see if it would work for you.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    ChristopherO, I'm wondering if your test with the LFN-ish bullets were maybe just going too fast?
    If it were me, I'd try starting around 1400-1500fps and work up 50 fps at a time until the groups opened up to find your top end velocity. Another thought would be to play with the seating depth to make sure you're engaging the lands with the nose.
    Just some random thoughts.
    Hello lar45, that grouping was from the old Lyman RN boolit. But, to let you know, from the generosity of a member on this site I have recently tried the 190 RD FN boolit and it functioned very well, glad to say. I also had the opportunity to try out the NOE 182 FNGC and they, too, cycled quite well. I believe my search has been satisfied by either of these two boolit styles. I am ready to place an order tonight. Thank you, ChristopherO

Boolit Master

Additional Testing

More testing yesterday. With all the major mold suppliers back ordered out so long I decided to modify 10 of the 358318 RN PC on hand. With a quick jig I cut them to length on the bandsaw.
    Attachment 285954

A crude beveling the nose on the belt sander provided 175 grain (+/-) boolits of .70" in length.
    Attachment 285955

Cast from Range Scrap and aimed at 6 water jugs at 75 yards didn't quite confine any of the test rounds in the medium at approximately 1,750 fps, but this one was found on the back stop about 10 feet behind the line of jugs:
    Attachment 285956

Could this work for plinking and fairly matching the ballistics of the 350 Legion on a deer? If these were more precisely modified, then I believe it would make accuracy more acceptable. Why is the 350 L mentioned? I live in a straight wall only state that won't allow the 35 Whelen to be utilized, but that doesn't mean a fellow can't play to see if the itch needs to be scratched at some point. Plus, this is fun and a new shooter, as well as myself, can enjoy shooting plenty of these with little powder burnt in these times of scarcity.

Boolit Master

I live in a "Shotgun state". But on private with enough acreage. A HP rifle is allowed 243 to 501 is allowed. But we are well Populated and carting a 308/30-06 just seemed wrong. So I turned to my 45 Colt and then in late 1980's went to the 357 Maximum when I got one mistakenly. (Ordered a 375 Win) Its about perfect for my kinda hunting deer here. Then when this "Legend" was announced I was elated. Then JUST AS DEPRESSED when I learned of Winchesters STUPIDITY.
    BUT, as we are casters and re loaders...I justified it as I can make any dia I choose and bought one!! I do like it! Now I have two.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12