RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cicadas

I've always thought it odd the way cicadas swarm in some areas, but not others. We have at least one species here in Florida, but they simply don't behave the way they do further north.

What we do get - twice a year - is lovebugs. They don't bite, they don't eat your plants, they don't do anything, but fly around and splat all over your car where they dry on so hard you have to be careful not to damage your paint getting them off again. In the bad years you can't hardly sit outside for so many of them crawling all over you.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

What would really be cool would be if God would send the seagulls to eat them. Gulls can range very far inland looking for food.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    So far, none in Northern MI and I hope it stays that way. Maybe I am confusing them with another bug but we do get "them" but not in swarms.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    We are in the yellow area for brood this year. Fortunately, none here (yet). 17 years ago it was deafening. 5 miles or so west it hits the high DB levels

Cicadas

Same here in Conroe Texas Pertnear. My six Rat Terriers dig 4 inch deep holes all under my white oak trees and it seems they are after cicadas. Copperhead snakes do feed heavily on emerging cicadas. Have had several snakebites {sister-in-law and dogs} Two years ago I learnded that the copperhead came out about 9 to 10 pm to get the emerging cicadas and would venture out with snakecatcher and best flashlights. Here is a picture of one nights catch. There were 12 snakes less in one month. I have posted it before on Cast Boolits Forum. It seems we only have a miniscule herd of cicadas here as compared to what is being reported on the other posts. Has anyone tried them for fish bait!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170518_213335.jpg  

Oh yes Lovebugs! We do have Lovebugs. One good thing is, they only last about six weeks and are gone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    took a little field trip to pigeon forge last week and pulled into the rest area on 40 and the dang things were so loud I think I would want good ear plugs if I were a trucker wanting to get some sleep. but there is barely a peep from any of them at my place. I found one brown husk on tree by my driveway but that's it, but, the fireflies are staring to come out here and folks come flocking in the area every year to watch the firefly show.
    Start up a thread on that.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Man
    Time to fish!!! Hula poppers mimick a cicada pretty well. If your in a spot where the swarm is approaching biblical proportion then the fish may already be full, but in other area NOW is the time to land a big mess of fish in a hurry.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I live in York County Pa in the Brood X area on the map.
    Haven't seen or heard a single cicada yet.
    My wife is visiting her sister in Ohio and sge says they are out around Columbus, Ohio.

Boolit Grand Master

I live in Baton Rouge , Louisiana ... all is quite on this front ... but upon closer inspection of the Cicada Map our area isn't do for a hatch until 2014 ... then we get hit with the dreaded cross fire double cicada hatche ...
    ... Brood XXII and Brood III are scheduled to both be in the multiple brood hatch ...2014 is going to be a doozy . I'm sure glad we now have central A/C ...sleeping with the windows open and the attic fan on during a hot humid Cicada double barrel cross fire hatch out summer just about drives you insane . At least now , close the windows , click on the unit and get some cool dry sleep .
    As a kid they gave us something to play around with ... but I got TV and Wife for that now .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WestKentucky View Post
    Time to fish!!! Hula poppers mimick a cicada pretty well. If your in a spot where the swarm is approaching biblical proportion then the fish may already be full, but in other area NOW is the time to land a big mess of fish in a hurry.
    Thanks WK ... I always wondered just what the heck a Hula-Popper was trying to mimic .
    Dad had several in his box and I had three or four . Came in many different colors most of them had fish or frog markings but they could have been anything .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

When I was a kid we use to tie a thread around their head & fly them around on a leash. When they got tired or we got tired we smash 'em! Dang cruel kids!...LOL
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I sorta miss cicadas. When I live in NJ we had them but not hordes of them. The few we had I liked to hear. Here in Maine we just don't have them.

I have not seen any in Muncie Indiana.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Boolit Buddy

They are out in force here in WV. I look on the bright side, while they are a small nuscence, the birds here are concentrating on the bugs, and leaving the service berries for me.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    None in WA state, but we do have other problems

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I live in Baton Rouge , Louisiana ... all is quite on this front ... but upon closer inspection of the Cicada Map our area isn't do for a hatch until 2014 ... then we get hit with the dreaded cross fire double cicada hatche ...
    ... Brood XXII and Brood III are scheduled to both be in the multiple brood hatch ...2014 is going to be a doozy . I'm sure glad we now have central A/C ...sleeping with the windows open and the attic fan on during a hot humid Cicada double barrel cross fire hatch out summer just about drives you insane . At least now , close the windows , click on the unit and get some cool dry sleep .
    As a kid they gave us something to play around with ... but I got TV and Wife for that now .
    Gary
    I'm pretty sure ours cross-bred with Killer Hornets, I'm sure we are in for a real treat?
    Would you us shrimp,crab or crawfish boil to cook a few up ?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    gwpercle, I keep forgetting to ask, did you mean 2024 there? Thinking 2014 is done and over with

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Same here in Conroe Texas Pertnear. My six Rat Terriers dig 4 inch deep holes all under my white oak trees and it seems they are after cicadas. Copperhead snakes do feed heavily on emerging cicadas. Have had several snakebites {sister-in-law and dogs} Two years ago I learnded that the copperhead came out about 9 to 10 pm to get the emerging cicadas and would venture out with snakecatcher and best flashlights. Here is a picture of one nights catch. There were 12 snakes less in one month. I have posted it before on Cast Boolits Forum. It seems we only have a miniscule herd of cicadas here as compared to what is being reported on the other posts. Has anyone tried them for fish bait!
    Thanks for the heads-up OldBearHair! I live on lake LBJ & have never seen a copperhead, but now I'll be on the look out, especially at night. I have several big oak trees around.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was a teenager I snagged one that was just able to fly and flying by me. As I was catfishing, I stuck it on a hook and tossed it out. Turned to get a soda out of the cooler and my rod was headed for the lake. Ran and grabbed it, but whatever struck it was gone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast