Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .350 Legend- Anyone have experience with Lee 158gr SWCGCs or Lee 200gr RFN?

Boolit Buddy

.350 Legend- Anyone have experience with Lee 158gr SWCGCs or Lee 200gr RFN?

I just picked up an upper in .350 Legend and my plan is to make it a cast boolit shooter. I'm planning to use RMR Core Lead (12BHN or so) gas checked and PC'ed. Sized to .356. I have the Lee 158gr SWCGC mold, the Lee 158gr RFNBB, and will soon have the Lee 200gr RFNGC. Not sure the SWCs will feed but I figured its worth a try. I have Lil Gun, W296, and AA1680 among others. Does anyone have any experience with any of these boolits in the .350L?

I also have a few j-words to try but, like I said, I'd really like to make this one a cast gas gun. I'm getting good performance on paper with this alloy w/PC. 2300fps in both 6.5 Grendel (126gr FN) and .308 (208gr FN) with no leading. I'm sure those will keep enough velocity to expand out past 250 yards (and you can't see that far where I hunt).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

John
    Last edited by Beaverhunter2; 12-11-2021 at 05:40 PM. Reason: 'Cuz I can't type.

Boolit Master

There is another thread running with use of the RCBS/lee/NOE 200/FN bullet a d YES ALL are good choices!

Ill add my FAVORITE, the MP 200/220 g Copies in HP guise.

I just cast up 250 LEE 359190 Ranch Dog bullets for use in my one Bolt 350.

For jacketed I rely upon two. The Hornady 165 FTX & a FURY 170 sp. (EXCELLENT BULLET!!!!)

I share the affection for the dandy lil 6.5 Grendel!! Took my best buck few years back 260# 9pt 150'' 25" wide.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't help you with cast, but the 165ftx and 300-mp powder and S&B SR primers gave me 1/2" groups @100yds out of my Ruger American Velocity was 2200fps.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Guys!

CW, Have you tried cast in your Grendel? I'm getting pretty good accuracy with the NOE 265-126 FN. CCI-400s and 26.0gr of IMR3031.

I have 5 bullets I'm going to try in my Legend. The 158gr SWCs, the 200gr RFNs, 147gr XTPs, 180gr XTPs and the Hornady 170gr SPs they developed for this cartridge. Unfortunately brass is hard to find. I did pick up 200 rounds of Winchester 145gr FMJs (the most factory ammo I've bought in 20 years. Now I need to get to a range so I can empty them for reloading purposes. They'll serve to break in the barrel at least.

I'll post my results.

John

Boolit Buddy
    Starline had brass a month ago. My buddy ordered 1000 pc of 350 brass about 7 or 8 months ago and it came last month.

I have found that swageing the primer pockets on once fired factory brass was necessary just like military 223. It is not needed on starline brass.

I have the Lee 200 gr mold. My groups powder coated were better with gas checks. I load 21 gr of H110 or Win 296 with that boolit and shoot it out of a Midway 18 in barrel in an ar-15.

My field experience with that load last fall was a 200 yd shot and a good buck down. Hi shoulder shot, and down right there, very little meat damage. Gonna try it again this fall.

All the best,
    Ray

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Ray! I'm used to swaging crimped primer pockets. Only have to do it once so NBD to me. I'll work my way up to 21.0gr of W296 and see how it goes. Congrats on your buck!

John

Boolit Buddy
    Started out with the Winchester 145 FMJs- I needed to clean out the brass. My rifle shot them pretty well for a new barrel. 1 1/2" - 5 shot groups

Shot the Hornady 170 SP and the Lee 200RFN with Lil' Gun and CCI-400s. Best load with the 170 was 24.0gr. Got about 2" at 100 yards. 2 1/2" - 3" with the Lee and 20.5gr. Going to switch over to W296 now.

BTW- no pressure signs on the Hornady 170 so I'm going to work that one up a little more. At 21.0gr of Lil' Gun with the Lee 200 I had flattened primers and one was pierced. Ended up with one blown primer pocket. This goes to show that we need to work up in our own guns. Others have posted much higher loads with this combination without problems. As they say, "YMMV"!
    Last edited by Beaverhunter2; 12-21-2021 at 12:10 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    Thanks, Guys!

CW, Have you tried cast in your Grendel? I'm getting pretty good accuracy with the NOE 265-126 FN. CCI-400s and 26.0gr of IMR3031.

I have 5 bullets I'm going to try in my Legend. The 158gr SWCs, the 200gr RFNs, 147gr XTPs, 180gr XTPs and the Hornady 170gr SPs they developed for this cartridge. Unfortunately brass is hard to find. I did pick up 200 rounds of Winchester 145gr FMJs (the most factory ammo I've bought in 20 years. Now I need to get to a range so I can empty them for reloading purposes. They'll serve to break in the barrel at least.

I'll post my results.

John
    Hello John,

Sorry I missed the question. No, I have not cast for the Grendel. I was just gifted some 140g bullets cast in zink that weigh much less. I want to try those.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    I used the Lee 200gr RFN, gas checked, and sized to .356. Shot great, and would probably make a great sub-sonic round, but I've since moved on to using j-word 147 grain 9mm projectiles as you can really zip them out.