Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon case counter

Dillon case counter

anyone use one? I just got a used one and tried to set it up on the crimp die. I dont like it at all

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs down Case Counter

Had the same experience with one. Just sits on shelf gathering dust now. My 2¢.Russ.

Boolit Master
    I use the primers to count my loads. Load 100 primers.....

My low primer alarm sits on the shelf too. The rod that sits on the primers I use as a gauge.

David

my alarm works well, I would run dry if not for it. The case counter sucks

Here are the counters I use. I attach them to the powder measure fail safe linkage, and they count every charge thrown. I've been using them on several presses since before I mentioned them to a tech at Dillon, and they came out with one, and have never had a problem. They're about $7 ea. from MSC or Enco. Look up "mechanical ratcheting counter"
    Morgan

Boolit Grand Master

Morgan... Nice setup !
    I guess I am like David R. I have 7 or more primer filler tubes for my 550 and just fill up how ever many I need. 500 rounds of this, 600 of that...
    I made a brass rod with bent end for a handle that always rides the primer colunm down so when the handle is getting close to touching the primer tube top I reload the primer tube.

Banned

probably quite a few of them collecting dust in a bin on the bench like mine does.

Boolit Master

I use one on my toolhead that has Dillon dies and use nothing on the one that has RCBS dies. It's always worked for me but it's not something I must have.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

The first press I set up using the counter was a Pacific progressive shotshell press, and it was impossible to estimate how many primers were in the tray, which held about two packs at a time.
    Now, shooting three cowboy action matches a month, I have several 100rd. plastic cartridge boxes with varying empty slots that have to be filled. I count them up, and load just enough rounds to fill all the boxes. Just a habit, I guess. All my rifle loads, with the exception of my .38-40's, are loaded on single stage presses, and primed with a hand primer, upstairs, watching TV.
    Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    Well, to be honest, I have a Dillon counter on each of my tool heads (3). I love it! It takes a bit of tweaking to get it to count right but I haven't had a problem with any of them. Now I won'
    t use the "spring clip fastener, I had to make sure I got the fastener that set under the die adjusting nut. But to this day they've worked very well for me...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Quote Originally Posted by WildmanJack View Post
    Well, to be honest, I have a Dillon counter on each of my tool heads (3). I love it! It takes a bit of tweaking to get it to count right but I haven't had a problem with any of them. Now I won'
    t use the "spring clip fastener, I had to make sure I got the fastener that set under the die adjusting nut. But to this day they've worked very well for me...
    Jack
    The angle just doesnt seem right on the spring bracket. I was going to bend and tweak, but then had clearance problems trying to tighten the locknut on the crimp die. That was the kicker, I took it off and threw it on the shelf. I am a electrical control guy by trade and can wire up any kind of prox switch and counter, but at times I just want to keep it simple.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Would like to have one for the reason that Morgan stated. I know that Jack is also in CAS. Have you seen the prices that they are selling for on evil-bay? I have started out bidding on about six of them in the last 8 months and then someone bids 65.00 and I think you have got to be kidding. Morgan I'm shooting 2 a month and just finished my first Frontier Cartridge match this past Saturday. I'm "HOOKED HARD" and can't wait for the next chance to shoot the soot and see the flames and smoke!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    The angle just doesnt seem right on the spring bracket. I was going to bend and tweak, but then had clearance problems trying to tighten the locknut on the crimp die. That was the kicker, I took it off and threw it on the shelf. I am a electrical control guy by trade and can wire up any kind of prox switch and counter, but at times I just want to keep it simple.
    I think the spring clip may have been either for an older model die or to be used on other makes of dies. I can't use them on any of my tool heads..
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

I will fiddle with it when I get more time, anyone have any?

Boolit Grand Master

Dillon Counter

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    probably quite a few of them collecting dust in a bin on the bench like mine does.
    They show up un E-Bay from time to time.
    There is one there now. I have a couple somewhere gathering dust like the rest of yu fella's. I wonder what this one will go for??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dillon-Precision...1%7C240%3A1318

Shiloh

Boolit Master

The angle just doesnt seem right on the spring bracket.
    Are you talking about the angle of the arm that goes down into the die? If so, you can change that by loosening the small screw and changing the angle.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

I'd never actually seen the Dillon counter, so I went on the evil-bay site to take a look. It looks like standard ratcheting counter, that's had a bracket attched, to link it to a die. If the arm moves without a lot of pressure, why don't you guys remove the bracket, add a small spring, and link it to the powder measure with a piece of wire, the way I did. The spring takes up a lot of slack, the wire only has to be short enough to operate the arm when the spring stretches, and long enough to allow it to reset when relaxed. There's probably about 1/2" variation that will work. As you can see from the photo, my "fine tuning" of the length, consists of crimping the soft steel wire between my thumb and forefinger. A piece of #14 copper wire should work also.
    Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    Nice job Morgan, That would be the cat in the hat for those square deals. use a 550b and it works on the lst seating die. when the booet comes up it pushes up on the adjustable arm and kicks over another number. I like the last stage position as soetimes I screw up a round before it get that far, adn this only counts the finished rounds.. But I just bought a 450 and think I'll use your invention on that. Thanks for the great picture...
    Jack

Last edited by WildmanJack; 11-24-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Astorbilt View Post
    I'd never actually seen the Dillon counter, so I went on the evil-bay site to take a look. It looks like standard ratcheting counter, that's had a bracket attched, to link it to a die. If the arm moves without a lot of pressure, why don't you guys remove the bracket, add a small spring, and link it to the powder measure with a piece of wire, the way I did. The spring takes up a lot of slack, the wire only has to be short enough to operate the arm when the spring stretches, and long enough to allow it to reset when relaxed. There's probably about 1/2" variation that will work. As you can see from the photo, my "fine tuning" of the length, consists of crimping the soft steel wire between my thumb and forefinger. A piece of #14 copper wire should work also.
    Morgan
    The reason it is in the crimp die is to count real boolits and not just cycles of the machine, but who wouldnt reset after setup is finished anyway? Most of all, I didnt like the way it crowded the space around the crimp die. You would almost have to use needle nose pliers to tighten the lock nut on the die.

Boolit Buddy
    ddeaton,
    Lets be honest, it's not just a little crowded, it is a total PITA to set it on the crimp die!!!!!!!!!!! I agree you really have a hard time tightening stuff down when your trying to mount one of them. Took some fiddilin but I finally got it tight and have no intent on changing it!!!!! LOL
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928