Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Mount Screws

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Scope Mount Screws

I have a rifle from the eighties that has a scope mount where the forward scope ring bayonets into the mount and the back ring is held in place by two special purposes screws. I hope my description is adequate. These were very popular in the day, before everything went to rails. Anyway, I need two of these special purpose screws. Where can I find them on the internet? Is there a specific name for them?

Thanks

Redfield mounts? Does the front ring twist into place and the rear ring is held from the side by two coin slotted screws?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

If it is the redfield style mount ( I believe Lepould also had a version) You may have to contact redfield for them. The reason they were are so popular is rough windage can be made in the base instead of the scope. They also were quick and easy to swap to the irons if needed, and they did repeat pretty good

Any gunsmith shop should have some in their odds & ends bowl on the workbench.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Redfield mounts? Does the front ring twist into place and the rear ring is held from the side by two coin slotted screws?

I’m sure they are Redfield or Leopold. That was over forty years ago. Sure it was one or the other.

Boolit Grand Master

I just found the Redfield base complete with screws for $18 bucks. If need be I’ll by the whole thing to get the screws. However, how can I be sure mine is a Redfield? Did Léopold make similar ones?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m sure they are Redfield or Leopold. That was over forty years ago. Sure it was one or the other.

Redfield was the first to market with that turn-in scope ring system, but it became so popular that, after Redfield's patent expired, several other makers offered the identical set-up - but all parts are interchangeable between maker's turn-in rings.

In that way, they became generic, just like Weaver's rail mount did.

If one of the windage screws in the rear base is undisturbed after zeroing, the scope can be R&R'd w/o losing zero - handy if the need arises to replace a damaged scope on a hunting trip with a pre-zeroed unit.

Just beware that all makers offered ring heights of the buyer's choice.

Last edited by pietro; 07-03-2021 at 09:39 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

That’s great to know. It makes it a lot easier to find the screws. I hope they always keep the same threads.

What model rifle is it?
    Edit: Is this the type of screw you're looking for?
    BTW, the Buehler windage screws will thread into this Redfield base, but I'm not sure if the cup seat will match Redfield rings.
    Last edited by Texas by God; 06-08-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buehler also had scope mounts that were similar, but not identical to Redfield bases. Now that I think about it, they were mostly gone by the 1980's though.

Redfield, Leupold, and Millett are three that I can think of that used interchangeable rings. There may be others.

I always seemed to like the Millett bases best, they tended to be sculpted and not look like a brick.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Burris also makes a similar mount, the windage screws have been interchangeable from Leupold, Burris, Redfield and Millet, at least thread size, haven't closely checkeded the fit of the windage screw into the grooved rear ring, but have used different mixed brands of rings and bases without difficulty. Brownell's used to have screws by B-Square that also fit the bases. Finding the windage screws should not be too difficult. The 'Redfield style' mounts were popular before factory drill and tapped receivers became common, 1950's-1960's into the 80's when military rifles were sporterized. Very forgiving for errors in D/T placement.

Boolit Master
    If they are s mine are they have a circular groove cut on inside of bolt head which grips the scope rings. If I needed to replace then I a sure I could get the basic screw forma bolt supplier and turn a groove on inside head if all else fails. Regards Stehen

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    What model rifle is it?
    Edit: Is this the type of screw you're looking for?
    BTW, the Buehler windage screws will thread into this Redfield base, but I'm not sure if the cup seat will match Redfield rings.
    That’s the type screw I’m looking for. Can anyone give me a website where I could buy a couple?

Boolit Grand Master

I contacted Leupold and they no longer stock the screws. They did say that if I sent them the mount they would replace it with a new one. That’s a nice gesture, but I sort of want to keep the gun original and certainly don’t want to get into drilling and tapping new holes.

I'll dig in the catacombs and let you know if I find two of them. In the 70s I bought Conetrol mounts when I could afford them, Redfield when I couldn't and Weaver when Redfield was out of reach......all good gear.

Boolit Grand Master

That would be great!
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    If Texas by God doesn't find them. Brownells stocks them, different lengths, different threads, Torx, stainless etc. I hope posting a link is OK: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-393-1766.aspx

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cuzinbruce View Post
    If Texas by God doesn't find them. Brownells stocks them, different lengths, different threads, Torx, stainless etc. I hope posting a link is OK: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-393-1766.aspx
    Wrong screw. Brownells does not have the scres that the OP wants.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Yikes I must be a fossil! No less than 5 rifles in my rack with those mounts. Sadly I have no extra screws in my parts bin.

Boolit Master
    might try Popperts Gun Parts in Pennsylvania. they have website, huge stock of old parts from what I understand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast