RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Smokes 4320 pc

Smokes 4320 pc

Got in some SMOKES 4320 powder toady. Orange /brown & John Deere green. My second attempt at coating. My first w ith SMoKES 4320. First attempt with Harbor Fright PC was not good. Put some SMOKES powder in an old cool whip tub ( about 1 1/2 tsp ) along with half of my 1000 Air Soft black BB's, 50 to 60 bullets . 44 cal bullet sized with GC. Swirled around for about 45 sec's. Bullets were well coated. Pre heated my oven to 375dg. Set for Air Fry, not bake. Made sure no bullets were touching. Bullets were handled with needle nose pliers only.Touching with bare fingers will remove the coating. Bhttps://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...raying-bulletsullets placed on non stick aluminum foil. After bullets had been in for 12min I looked thru the glass door & bullets were slick/shinny. Took them out & allowed to cool. Resized thru my .430 sizer. I did three batches of about 50 bullets per batch. Still had enough powder left in the tub to do at least 50 more. This is my second attempt & I am well satisfied. Will be a day or two before I can shoot, but all looks well.Attachment 284156

Boolit Master
    Those turned out nice. Nice write up also. I have some of smokes powder and BBs sitting here waiting to try, just need to find the time. After almost 50 years of lubrisizing its time to find out what you guys are doing.

Boolit Master
    Just curious.

Was the 375F and 12 min what Smoke said to use? Seems a lot short on time and too low in temp.

Usually the time starts when the bullets first look slick.

Vendor Sponsor

batch looks goot but Wrong time and temp
    400 degrees for 15 min MIN in a preheated oven..
    Bigger/heaver bullets may need 25 to 30 minutes at 400 to get a smooth flowed out finish otherwise you will get a lumpy finish
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Dom, aside from your temp n time issue. for what it’s worth I have found tweezers n such are not required. I have used nitrile gloves and even bare fingers. just get a little powder dust on your digits and then handle with gusto.

if your swirling has generated the needed negative charge, mild handling will not remove the powder. if the powder is falling off so easily that tweezers are required more swirl time may be needed. at least that is my initial experiences with smokes products.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Banned
    I 5 - 7 minutes, the powder will flow and look smooth/shiny BUT it is not CURED.

Most powders take 20-25 min in an oven preheated to 400° to reach full cure (some manufacturers spec. 15 minutes but this is mostly for thin steel and not thicker boolits)

I bake ALL my powders at 400° for 25 min to make sure I get a complete cure.

In reloading, I trim and seat to .001 load powder to .05 grains, I refuse to cut corners on my boolit coating.

My 2¢

Boolit Master

Looks good, But ?
    As said above, not enough heat or cure time.
    20min in an preheated oven at 400degrees.
    To test cure. Place bullet on concrete and WHACK hard with a 1lb sledge.
    Coating should NOT flake or chip off.
    And that oven has just softened your bullets.
    Dump bullets straight from oven into 5gal bucket of Cold water.
    From Personal experience, size After PC.

Smokes Powders are GREAT.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Same for me, 400 & 20 minutes, also drop into tub of cold water. Been using Smoke's clear for 38 & 44's for cowboy stuff. Really like how it covers. And makes cleaning SO much easier. Ordered more powder bout 3 hrs ago.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Attachment 284212Smacked a bullet hard. Flattened it some but no flaking of coating. Coating appears to be well attached ?? My bullets were Air Fry ed not baked. Does that make a difference ? Flattened bullet on left. Will try some shooting tomorrow or the next day. That will be proof one way or another. I guess I can re coat & bake again if needed.

Boolit Master
    Air fry is really no different than a convection oven when operated at the same temp.

Shoot them and see. If you can, recover some of the bullets and see what they look like.

Did some more casting * PC work today. Arsenal 44 cal 250gr PB & Saeco 45 cal 350gr GC. The Arsenal 44 250gr are PB, while the Saeco 45cal 350gr is GC. Placed the 44's in a well preheated ( Air Fry ) oven at 400dg for a solid 20 min. The 45 350gr, the same but for 25min. They seem to come out in good shape. For sure will get to shoot tomorrow.Attachment 284236 44's on left, 45's on right.
    Last edited by Dom; 06-09-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    This happens from time to time. Folks doing their first PC will try to coat using a lower temp for less time while those that have been doing it for thousands (many thousands) of bullets have gone up in time at 400°. It's a learning process and I've been there. I personally start with a preheated (and stabilized) non convection oven and bake for 30 minutes. Maybe I bake to long, but it works for me. The last part of the last sentence is the key. What works for you ....

Boolit Master

As long as the coating is Cured, whatever works.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Finally shot some . The 44's thru a handgun & the 45's thru a Marlin 45-70 with Marlins Ballard Grove rifling. Barrels looklead ( no streaks ) free. A few burnt powder pieces, but clean. This powder from Smokes 4320 seems to work. Even for a novice PC'er like me. What a hoot to shoot, lead free!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    batch looks goot but Wrong time and temp
    400 degrees for 15 min MIN in a preheated oven..
    Bigger/heaver bullets may need 25 to 30 minutes at 400 to get a smooth flowed out finish otherwise you will get a lumpy finish
    I'm glad Smoke chimed in with correct info. I remember a thread where folks were talking about much less time at lower temps. WRONG - just follow manuf's (and vendors) recommendations.

Vendor Sponsor

I personally do all my small bullets at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. over 150 grains get 25 minutes and 300 + get 30 minutes ..
    Just my process

Thanks. Shot a cylinder full thru my S&W 629, 44. 250gr PB. About 1250 fps. It had a few lead streaks from traditional cast/lubed bullets. After shooting the PC bullets the lead streaks were almost completely gone. Good centered group at 30yds. Very satisfied.

Vendor Sponsor

Always love to hear good results
    I have been working with a Airforce Texan 457 Airgun. Shooting a 335gr NOE 460-350 HP at 825
    Been able to get awesome groups and no leading at all . very happy

Boolit Master

Those look nice. I like the color. I too have evolved to hotter/longer times. Longer hurts nothing. In fact, when heat treating, I coat, cure, size, then back in the oven for an hour before quenching. PC works great! Smoke's powders are excellent!
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Those look nice. I like the color. I too have evolved to hotter/longer times. Longer hurts nothing. In fact, when heat treating, I coat, cure, size, then back in the oven for an hour before quenching. PC works great! Smoke's powders are excellent!
    I like that color, too! Since translucent copper is done, this looks like the closest thing. My next purchase will be this color. Maybe mix it with clear or silver???