Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger Bisley update

Boolit Mold

Ruger Bisley update

A while back I posted about a Ruger Bisley Flattop .44 Spl. I was trying to get running, and I got a lot of great advice. I was trying .431 commercial hard cast bullets and getting lots of leading. I ordered an Accurate 43-250J mold, which drops bullets at .434 and 160 grains from 20-1 alloy. Life interfered and I finally got time to work with it again.

I tried tumble lubing with 45-45-10 and sizing to .432, the chamber throat sizes. I got a lot of leading in the cylinders and barrel. So I tried pan lubing with homemade Emmerts, and that did the trick. No leading at all. My best load so far is 6.5 gr Unique for about 800 fps, plenty for what I want to do, mostly punch holes and ring steel. Accuracy isn't what some others say they can get with this revolver, but I'm pleased so far - if the loose nut on the grips doesn't mess it up I can get consistent 2" or a bit less 25 yd groups. When I measured the barrel using gauge pins, I found the muzzle for a couple inches back was about .001 larger than the rest. Maybe I'll try firelapping some day, but I'll work on my shooting technique more first. Thanks for the help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bisley.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	284155

Boolit Master
    Good on you. Revolvers have been my most challenging pieces to get shooting with cast boolits.

Boolit Master

Maybe the cylinder needs to visit DougGuy! Look him up on this site, he does good work.

Boolit Master
    Good shootin!! Why is the grip loose?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    cwtebay,,, his comment was a reference to his own personal abilities. We usually call it the "loose nut on the trigger" around here.

Quite often, the individual is the biggest limiting factor in good accurate shooting!

And as for getting the gun to shooting w/o leading & all. EXCELLENT! I agree that working on your abilities can & will help you improve. But do not discount firelapping. Fermin Garza has an excellent article about it on the web. Well written & understandable.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, and for the explanation of my poorly worded humor attempt. I have read Garza's article as well and may go that route at some point.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    cwtebay,,, his comment was a reference to his own personal abilities. We usually call it the "loose nut on the trigger" around here.

Quite often, the individual is the biggest limiting factor in good accurate shooting!

And as for getting the gun to shooting w/o leading & all. EXCELLENT! I agree that working on your abilities can & will help you improve. But do not discount firelapping. Fermin Garza has an excellent article about it on the web. Well written & understandable.
    Hahaha!!! I shouldn't reply when I am on no sleep! Thank you for your (far too kind) reply!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master