RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Surprise!

Boolit Master

Surprise!

I thought it was about time the cabin air filter in my 2012 Nissan was changed. I bought the filter, watched the u -tube video. Piece of cake I thought. To gain access to the filter you must remove the glove box. Watching the video it looked simple enough. I started removing screws, lots of screws and more screws. Some I saw no way to get to. I gave up and took it to a garage. Sixty bucks the man side, have at I said. I sat in the driver.s seat and watched as the man began taking out even more screws. Must have been fifteen. The mechanic got the glove box out and stopped. I told him there was a clip at the bottom you had to bush to release the holder. He held up the bracket that retains the filter and said here it is but there is no filter. 1001526 miles without a filter. He installed the new filter and I was on the road. Hopefully not for another 100 thou without a filter. Do you think the dealer would believe that story? I doubt it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Do you think the dealer would believe that story? I doubt it.
    My guess is they'd nod & smile.
    Then, after you left, it'd take them about 8 seconds to forget they ever saw ya.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I just did mine on a new used car. Removing the glove box was no problem but the filter cover was designed to deter the owner. I think the engineers get extra points for difficulty.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I thought it was about time the cabin air filter in my 2012 Nissan was changed. I bought the filter, watched the u -tube video. Piece of cake I thought. To gain access to the filter you must remove the glove box. Watching the video it looked simple enough. I started removing screws, lots of screws and more screws. Some I saw no way to get to. I gave up and took it to a garage. Sixty bucks the man side, have at I said. I sat in the driver.s seat and watched as the man began taking out even more screws. Must have been fifteen. The mechanic got the glove box out and stopped. I told him there was a clip at the bottom you had to bush to release the holder. He held up the bracket that retains the filter and said here it is but there is no filter. 1001526 miles without a filter. He installed the new filter and I was on the road. Hopefully not for another 100 thou without a filter. Do you think the dealer would believe that story? I doubt it.
    I would definitely get the mechanic's notes and give your dealer a call!!! I have had it with poor assembly and poorer quality control with any and all manufacturers!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

so the cabin filter is supposed to keep the junk from plugging the heater/ac core, what do you suppose your core looks like now.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    so the cabin filter is supposed to keep the junk from plugging the heater/ac core, what do you suppose your core looks like now.
    I have replaced many heater cores and A/C units. ALL in the days before we knew what a cabin air filter even was. NEVER found a heater core that was plugged up with dust,dirt, or any other debris, and most of those cars belonged to farmers that lived on dusty, gravel roads.

Boolit Master

In my almost 40 years as a tech the only cores I found plugged up were mostly pet owners. I don't know how some folks do not notice the odor inside their vehicle.

I park under a sycamore tree at home. I don't know if that seed fluff would plug my heater core, but it sure does a number on cabin air filters! Come my next oil change I'll have my mechanic change it out. Made an immediately noticeable difference in my wife's RAV.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

ADMIN

I just replaced the cabin air filter on my 2011 Sentra. It is located under the stereo.
    You access it from a panel in the drivers feet.
    Pain in the ass.
    You have to bend the filter to remove it and install it.
    It was the original part with 140k miles on it
    I ran the ac fan on high with no filter to blow out leaves prior to putting new one back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I have replaced many heater cores and A/C units. ALL in the days before we knew what a cabin air filter even was. NEVER found a heater core that was plugged up with dust,dirt, or any other debris, and most of those cars belonged to farmers that lived on dusty, gravel roads.
    thats the old style that had big enough openings to not be a problem, they were designed to NOT need a filter. the current models were designed to need a filter, dont you suppose there would be a reason for it.

Boolit Master
    If the filter is difficult to access and change, it is quite possible that the vehicle was not designed to even HAVE an air filter. It was an afterthought, and the engineers placed it where it would fit with no thoughts of it ever needing changed.

Boolit Master

they make things difficult to do so the average joe has to take it to a shop and pay. so your saying the vehicle was not designed to need it and they just put it in for the heck of it, gotcha.