Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMC extended warranty

Boolit Master

GMC extended warranty

The vehicle: 2018
    miles now: 49,500
    Current bumper to bumper runs out at 62,000 miles
    Powertrain Certified Pre-owned warranty good to 100,000 miles
    Now they dangle the GMC extended warranty (GMC, not a 3rd party). Have to decide before 50,000 miles
    4 yrs or 60,000 miles $3200
    5 yrs or 75,000 miles $4100

Covers everything but maintenance
    loaner car during repairs, roadside assistance, etc.
    no deductible
    I once got ripped off by a 3rd party warranty but this is GMC. Tempting.
    Any experiences with GMC warranties?

Boolit Master
    I have a 2018 Ford F-150 bumping 11,000 miles. The B2B warranty was 36 months or 36K miles which is pathetic IMHO.
    I'm looking at a 4 year 48K extended warranty for around $1,600. It is a Ford warranty and not some junk warranty which bit me once before.

Is that 4 years and another 60,000 miles making it good to 110,000 miles or just another 10,000 miles? If it is 4 years and up to 60,000 miles, that is not a good deal IMHO. I'd go talk to the dealership to get something better or let them know that a trade in on a new Nissan will give you 5 years 100K B2B.

It is a sellers market right now though.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

little off topic but how sad is it that a new car warranty does not even last the length of the loan to buy it.

we bought an extended warranty at the dealer when we bought a new toyota a few years ago, the ac went out and it was over 3 grand, the main warranty was gone but the extended warranty covered the repair, more than paid us back for the cost of the extra warranty. mostly I am not a fan of extended warranties but it seems new cars almost are guaranteed to need them.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    I will just say that extended warranties are one of the biggest cash cows for dealerships. When I worked for the G* company, they were trying to get a portion of that through the G*Certified program. The question is whether or not you are going to get your money's worth out of the $3000 or $4000 that you are going to put into it. Statistically, you won't...just like Vegas, the house always wins in the end.

Boolit Master

What is the vehicle. Acadia, Sierra? I just retired from a GM dealership. I have been working as a tech for 40 years and I can tell you that I would get it if it's a GMPP policy. Just the cost of parts if something were to fail can add up quickly. I had my Dad buy it on his 08 Silverado even though I was working at the dealership. He got his moneys worth out of it.

Boolit Master
    It's a Buick. 4 yrs or 60,000 miles would bring it up to 110,000 miles, 5 yrs would be 125,000 miles.
    If I wait until the bumper to bumper runs out at 62,000 miles, the price will be alot higher.
    We keep cars a long time. My other car is a 2005 Lincoln Towncar.
    If I break it down, it's approx. $800 per year, $65 per month. All GM parts.
    When I look at those numbers, and hear from a GM tech who says it's good, it does make sense.

Moderator Emeritus
    If you plan to keep the car that long, it’s probably a good deal. Almost any major repair will be in the thousands, so if you use it once, you got your money’s worth.

Boolit Master
    Buy the 5 year and breathe. 125000 miles driven, sell it and be happy.

Boolit Master
    I gotta call the dealer tomorrow and ask what happens if I don't make it that long...

Boolit Master
    I’d pass.

How much have you spent on that Lincoln in the last 4 years?

I’ve got a couple of cars all older than 2018 -2006 SLK280, 2006 Sprinter, 2002 Astro, 2016 Fiat 500L, 2008 Sportster and I haven’t spent $3,200 in repairs in the last 4 years.

Boolit Master
    The Lincoln (107,000 miles) has been pricey. Example: it has air bag suspension in the rear. One of the posts that holds the airbag broke. A dealer wanted $3400 to fix it. A local mechanic welded a new one on for $1400. Looking back - yeah, it's been pricey.

It's one of those things that, if we do use it, we'll be glad we did buy it. If we don't, I'll moan about wasting the money.

Boolit Master

You still didn't say what vehicle it was. They make several models in the Buick line. All platforms have common failures. I'm not saying all will fail but you tend to see the same things often enough. Why do you think dealership techs can do a six hour job in two hours? The first one probably took him seven to do, by them time he's done 10 or 20 he gotten pretty good at it and maybe bought special tools just for that job. If yu have a convertible anything, get the warranty.

Boolit Master
    It's a 2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence. They only made them for two years (in Germany).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    It's a 2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence. They only made them for two years (in Germany).
    Okay, the wagon. Didn't see a lot of them. Just in general any kind of module failure, window motor, or seat motor can add up quickly if you are paying out of pocket.

Boolit Master
    It's a great car, a real crowd pleaser. A guy came up to me once and asked if he could take a pic of it. People tailgate me on the highway for a minute or two until they figure out what it is, then they back off.
    I'm thinking 4 yrs, 60,000 miles makes sense.

Boolit Master
    $68.00 a month for the long term coverage isn't too bad. Especially if something catastrophic happens.
    I don't put many miles on a vehicle a year which kind of irritates me that it'll take me 9 years to reach 36K miles yet the B2B is done in 3.
    If you (GM, Ford, FCA, etc...) cannot make a vehicle last for 36K miles without a major failure, then something is wrong.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

Shop around. You don't have to buy the extended warranty from the local dealer. There are dealers that specialize in selling these things.

You can probably cut the stated amount in half.

For instance. When I bought my Ram 2500 with the Cummins in 2014 I paid $1700 for the extended warranty.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I bought a used car extended warranty from the Lincoln dealer when I bought the Towncar (33,000 miles on it at the time). But, it was a 3rd party warranty. I pointed out that the air bag suspension post had some rust on it. Don't worry - if it goes, we'll cover it. Well, it went. Did they cover it? No. Why not? It was rusty.
    I could shop around but cutting the price in half? That'd be nice, but I don't see that happening.

Boolit Buddy
    First verify that they will use "New GM" parts. This is important because most likely in case of a catastrophic failure they will use a rebuilt engine or transmission not new. Bringing this to their attention could reduce the coverage cost greatly. Also shop around for other warranty business's. Armed with an hour of knowledge could save you easily $1000-1500. I know at my age with my tools I can't work on the newer computer driven cars/trucks. Good luck with your course of action.

Boolit Master

If it is GMPP they are required to use new GM parts. The one he describes is basically an extension of the bumper to bumper warranty. Reaching 3 years before 36k has good and bad points. Some things like electric motors and seals do not like not being used. I am not defending any auto company, just stating what I have seen in many, many years in a dealership garage.

There are few if any aftermarket warranties that I would recommend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast