Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GMC extended warranty

Boolit Master
    I called a few other GM dealers and so far, only one has spoken to me. And this dealer offers a 3rd party warranty. not the GMPP.
    Maybe the others will call me back.

NO. Don't spend that kind of money on ANY extended warranties. Never Worth it. If you are worried about the truck or car failing, put that $3800. in the bank. And then use it to buy another vehicle later. Don't flush it down the toilet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Oh, and unless it stated that it will use only gm parts specifically in the warrant IN WRITING, don't believe the sheister selling the warranty.
    They will say anything to sell you the warranty. 99% of the people buying the warranty will get Nothing out of it. Too many ways to avoid paying out.

Boolit Master
    Avoid 3rd party at all costs... IMHO
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Keep us posted on how this works out for you Battis. I dropped GM long ago, 1981 Chevy Malibu with the 3.8 L - V6 that had the soft cam lobe issues. With only 38k it was making lots noise and the dealer would not cover us because we had NO Proof of the frequency of oil changes and back then I always changed our oils at 3k miles, didn’t know I had to have the dealer do my changes at the much inflated prices back then in NY. Didn’t have the money or time to fight it.

I’m at the same spot now with my vehicle and I’m thinking about the Extended Warranty.
    I’m going to start an F-150 thread.

Mike

Boolit Master
    An extended warranty is like home insurance, car insurance, cripes it's like having a gun. Hopefully, you'll never need any of them, but if you do it's good to have them. That's if they do what they're supposed to do. I got royally screwed by the 3rd party warranty on the Lincoln. If I do the GM warranty I'll do the 4 yr 60,000 miles, not the 5 yr 75,000 miles. Hopefully, whatever goes wrong with the car will be covered. Hopefully is the key word...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    NO. Don't spend that kind of money on ANY extended warranties. Never Worth it. If you are worried about the truck or car failing, put that $3800. in the bank. And then use it to buy another vehicle later. Don't flush it down the toilet.

That was my thought. Either profit from keeping your own $3800 or even if you have to do a substantial repair, you probably won't be out $3800.

If they couldn't profit on these warranties, they wouldn't be selling them to you.

Boolit Master
    If they couldn't profit on these warranties, they wouldn't be selling them to you.
    I get it and I agree. But, the same could be said for home owners insurance, car insurance, etc.
    It's $3200. Doesn't take much to eat up that amount.

Boolit Master
    There are requirements for homeowners and car insurance. Banks require that you have home owners insurance if you have a mortgage. Lenders require full coverage for auto loans otherwise the state has their minimums to cover damage from accidents. Dealers sell these warranties because of fear.

If I thought there was a even a slight chance a 2018 vehicle was going to need that much in repairs in the next 4 years I'd buy something more reliable. I've never bought a car that was less than 5 years old and have never needed that much in repairs in a 4 year span. I've owned Ford, Nissan, Chevy, BMW, Dodge and my current daily driver is a 2006 Mercedes.

It sounds like you already had a bad experience with your last warranty. Now you're going to get a more expensive one. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Boolit Master
    I wasn't fooled the first time- I was lied to, and basically screwed. And, it was more money.
    Car insurance is not mandatory in New Hampshire, and I live on the MA/NH border. We got hit a few years ago in the Lincoln by an uninsured NH driver. I carry extra insurance because of that, and it paid off.
    Believe me, I do not trust car dealers. I do not want to buy an extended warranty. Buy a more reliable vehicle? Like what? How do you ever know?
    It's basically an insurance policy against expensive repairs. If I never need it, will I be ticked of? Naw.

Boolit Master
    Battis,
    Try to find a forum where owners of the same vehicle meet. There is always a group of owners who know about the extended warrantys and generally they recommend a dealer or two who offer the best price. They are easy to purchase, pay for it by telephone and they enter your VIN in the GM computer data base.
    East Tennessee

Moderator Emeritus

You need to decide if it would be a hardship or an inconvenience to walk away from the vehicle, or trade it at a loss if needed.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Yes, I pay roughly $2k a year for home insurance. Way to easy to have a loss that eats that or a lot more quickly in a home. Auto REPAIR insurance along with the new home REPAIR insurance are both more scam than real. Truly, if you think a car won't go 100k miles without a $4k repair, you SHOULD find another vehicle. I've owned a lot of cars and trucks, some real lemons, but not a one has cost me $4000 that would be covered by any warranty. But it is your money to spend. I still say take that $100 a month you will be paying and put it in the bank.... But that is the REAL issue, saving that $100 rather than just writing a check including that money each month...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I do not want to buy an extended warranty. Buy a more reliable vehicle? Like what? How do you ever know?
    There are numerous websites that give reviews and ratings on cars. It used to be consumer reports magazine or other similar automotive publications. You can get a real good idea on what cars will have a variety of problems versus the ones that are typically trouble free. Any manufacturer can have a lemon once in a while but an hour or two of research will help weed out the cars that most likely to need serious repairs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I get it and I agree. But, the same could be said for home owners insurance, car insurance, etc.
    It's $3200. Doesn't take much to eat up that amount.
    Yeah, but these cost a tiny fraction of what the loss could be. He's paying for an engine replacement before the engine even throws a rod, knowing that the possibility of it doing so is extremely small.

I'd save the money and put it aside for potential repairs.

One trip back to the dealership for your diesel will be no less than $5G’s if it goes kaput. Get the factory extended warranty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12