WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester Model 64

Boolit Master
    I have a pre 64 32 special 64. Pretty good shape. Never intended to shoot it. Its part of a small collection I have. Its construction is not like the long barreled or carbines. 64 it has nice rounded edges unlike the standard line rifles. "A sportsman rifle for that time."

Boolit Grand Master
    Talked my buddy into sending a beater Marlin 336 to JES for a .38-55 rebore and also to have the mag tube shortened in the fashion of the 64. ! What a handy little carbine ! Shoots great and more than enough gun to hunt with.

About 70 years ago, Marlin introduced their take on the Winchester 64, their first chambering for the .35 Remington - the 336SC Sporting Carbine, with a 20" bbl (like the short barrel version of the Winchester 64)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Thank you - that's exactly why I bought it.

FWIW, ANY Winchester 94 in .30-30 or .32 Special is easily rebored/rechambered to .38-55 - in fact there's a few outfits that specialize in just that, like Jess Ocumpaugh ( www.35caliber.com ) for about $250USD.

The EASY button for converting a straight-gripped Winchester 94 to a pistol grip would be to obtain a PG buttstock & curved lever - both drop-in's (the stock may need fitting) - yes, there will be a void between the top of the lever loop and the lower tang, but it's invisible with the lever/action closed.

Or, obtain a Winchester Big Bore 94 in .450 Marlin and swap out the barrel.

After visiting JES reboring I see that the $250 price is for a three groove barrel. Four grooves are more. Is there any trouble with three? I remember some '03 Springfields were built with two groove barrels. Anyone have any experience?

Jim

AFAIK, most of Jess' customers are perfectly happy with a 3-groove barrel - you could check the difference in performance with him.

Boolit Grand Master
    I got the 3 groove and love it.

Boolit Mold
    Beautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing

Even JES says there’s not much difference between 3,4 or 5 grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Even JES says there’s not much difference between 3,4 or 5 grooves.
    Thanks, all,

After visiting the JES website I decided the best way to contact him was snail mail so I wrote him a letter. He doesn't give an email address and says to call, leave a message, and he'll call back. For those who have dealt with him what is the best way to correspond?

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

My model 64 was my first big game rifle, I bought it in 1965 for the grand sum of $35.00 (used of course). I made the mistake of letting my brother borrow it and when he returned it the once pristine 30 caliber barrel was TOAST! It sat unused for a few years until I heard about JES rebore, a quick call and it was on it's way. I had it rechambered to 35-30/30 and was ecstatic with the performance and accuracy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3530 64.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	286225

With 200gr SAECO's ahead of 16.0 grains of Unique it drops hogs with authority too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20200528_183402 (2).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	286226
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post

After visiting the JES website I decided the best way to contact him was snail mail so I wrote him a letter.

He doesn't give an email address and says to call, leave a message, and he'll call back.

For those who have dealt with him what is the best way to correspond?
    Bad decision, Jim - Jess is very busy, and often doesn't respond well because he gets many, many tire-kickers that waste his time, so there's two ways to go:

1) Telephone him early AM, his time, and the chances are that he'll pick up the call

2) Alternately, you can disassemble your rifle and send him the barreled action, with the action internals so he can headspace it (no wood, magazine, or sights) - include a check or M.O. for the job & a note with what you want along with your personal information for return shipment.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

About 70 years ago, Marlin introduced their take on the Winchester 64, their first chambering for the .35 Remington - the 336SC Sporting Carbine, with a 20" bbl (like the short barrel version of the Winchester 64)

Yep, I have that waffle top SC 35 rem. 336 Marlin. That’s why I don’t need to add a 64 Win. to my lever collection. Anyway, in my experience, pistol grip lever guns handle recoil much better. They are just sweeter shooting. The 1/2 magazine tube is more handy as well. 4 plus 1 for hunting is plenty.

If you can’t find a 64 Winchester ( either pre or post 1964) for a good price, just buy a common Marlin 336 with a pistol grip and don’t look back. Just my .02.

I think the 64 was the only way to get a 219 zipper, Winchester trying to get away from custom stuff with the 94 by saying, "here it is, no customizations" and for the most part stuck to it. Also the 65 is to the 92 as the 64 is to the 94. 218 bee!!!

I found that if you called and left a message, he would call back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12