Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Model 64

Winchester Model 64

I have wondered for a long time about Winchester's model 64 rifle. Same action as the model 94 but with a longer 24" barrel and a pistol grip stock. Most I've seen also had half magazines. I am sure they were made in several calibers - .25-35, .30-30, and .32 Special. I see there are a few on the market - used - and they bring pretty prices. Does anyone have any experience with one? If I remember right Winchster offerred the '94 with pistol grip plastic stocks about 20 years ago. My research says the 64 was discontinued in 1955.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win64.jpeg 
Views:	1122 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	284140

Boolit Master

The 64 was also made in the early 1970s too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Not exactly a Model 64, but I have handled a few 26" barreled Model 1894 Winchester's. I did not buy one because they had collector price tags on them and I still had a kid at home that wanted to eat more than once a week.

That said, the rifles felt lighter and livelier in my hands than a Marlin 336A, their version of a 24" half magtube rifle. I don't go deer hunting anymore so my search for a 64 kind of dwindled since a 336A in .35 Remington lives at my house.

If I were still into still hunting whitetail deer, I think I would look a lot harder to find one of the Model 64's. The Whelen style stock may make it handle more like a Marlin, I do not know for sure.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

Win 64 and 1894

The Winchester 64 and 1894 that I have seam so quick to put on target and shoot and smooth to rechamber another round both are keepers and they love cast bullets .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1360.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    The Winchester 64 and 1894 that I have seam so quick to put on target and shoot and smooth to rechamber another round both are keepers and they love cast bullets .
    That is a nice looking 64. Looks like what Winchester called the 'Deer Rifle' but are often called 'Deluxe'. Either name fits. I like the better wood, the full forearm, and the checkering. They bring a premium price. Not as much as a '64 carbine with the 20" barrel but it's the 24" barrel combined with the other features that lure me. I once had a 1950's 1894 carbine in .30-30 that I inherited. That was when I lived in Alaska. I sold it because it wasn't a moose rifle. Even so I now live in the lower 48 and don't need a moose rifle. The traditionalist in me covets a deer rifle, not a saddle carbine. I hate horses.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought this Winchester Model 64A several years ago and it is a very fine shooter:

5 rounds at 100 yards.

The 64A is a re issuance of the original model 64 that was brought out in the 70’s and is probably the best $600 levergun I’ve ever purchased.

It is light weight and handles and balances extremely well for a “long” barreled levergun.

It is one of my favorite 30/30’s to shoot offhand at 100+ yards because it makes me look like a good shot.

Last edited by ATCDoktor; 06-07-2021 at 08:34 PM.

Boolit Bub
    The Winchester came in rifle and carbine versions. All had pistol grip stocks with half magazine. They also came in standard with plain stocks and deluxe model with checkering on the forearm and pistol grip along with sling swivels installed at the factory. I bought one for my daughter to deer hunt with that is from the forties. It has the tang drilled and tapped for a tang sight the ones made after 1950 had the receiver drilled and tapped for a receiver sights only. They are very fine rifles and yes they do bring plenty of money these days like all older Winchesters do that are pre '64. The 64's made in the 1970's are usually cheaper because they are not pre 1964. Most folks feel the Winchester's made after 1964 are cheaper looking guns. This is true to some extent because they had to cut much of the hand fitting to compete with other manufacturers of the day. The later guns shoot well they just don't have the fit and finish like the earlier ones have.

Boolit Master
    I have a 20" octagon barreled Canadian Centennial I bought some years back fairly cheap because one side of the receiver had scratches on it. For one of my birthdays which I don't bother to count anymore, bought the 26" octagon barreled one in the same series. That long barrel just hangs out there. Try Cherry's Fine guns as they do seem to have a few left. Or at least until the current crazyness started. Frank

I always wanted a Model 64 Deer Gun (model), but they were out of my financial reach, so I bought the next best thing - A 1971 Winchester 94 NRA Centennial .30-30.

I figured, where else can I get a like-new/new rifle in the configuration I wanted for less that half the cost of a gennie….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    The model 64 was also chambered in 219 Zipper (26 inch barrel). I've got one in 30-30 and I'm eager to try some cast bullets in her.

my 64 was made in 1938 in 32 spl and is a fine hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I always wanted a Model 64 Deer Gun (model), but they were out of my financial reach, so I bought the next best thing - A 1971 Winchester 94 NRA Centennial .30-30.

I figured, where else can I get a like-new/new rifle in the configuration I wanted for less that half the cost of a gennie….

That is a handsome rifle. It seems to me, and has been said by others o this forum, that the longer barrel and the pistol grip stock help make the rifle just 'Hang There' making hits easier. The 24" barrel makes more sense to me. Besides, I have some short barreled rifles that I don't like to hunt with without ear protection. The 18" barrel of my Marlin 1894C in .357 is a good example. For some reason moving the muzzle 6-8" further from my ears seems to make a difference.

My mind is fooling with me. I like the aeesthetics and the practicality of the Model 64. I'd also like to have a .38-55. I know they were never put together by Winchester but someone suggested finding a cheap Model 94 and rebarreling it. I don't see any problem with putting a 24" barrel in .38-55 on it. Are pistol grip stocks available as aftermarket items? I know the finger lever and prolly the lower tang would need to be changed but...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post

That is a handsome rifle.

My mind is fooling with me. I like the aeesthetics and the practicality of the Model 64. I'd also like to have a .38-55.

know they were never put together by Winchester but someone suggested finding a cheap Model 94 and rebarreling it.

Thank you - that's exactly why I bought it.

FWIW, ANY Winchester 94 in .30-30 or .32 Special is easily rebored/rechambered to .38-55 - in fact there's a few outfits that specialize in just that, like Jess Ocumpaugh ( www.35caliber.com ) for about $250USD.

The EASY button for converting a straight-gripped Winchester 94 to a pistol grip would be to obtain a PG buttstock & curved lever - both drop-in's (the stock may need fitting) - yes, there will be a void between the top of the lever loop and the lower tang, but it's invisible with the lever/action closed.

Or, obtain a Winchester Big Bore 94 in .450 Marlin and swap out the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe the rifle version is inherently more accurate than the carbine model with the barrel band

Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    I believe the rifle version is inherently more accurate than the carbine model with the barrel band
    That maybe, but not enough to make a difference when hunting - remember, these are not target rifles.

FWIW, ANY Winchester 94 in .30-30 or .32 Special is easily rebored/rechambered to .38-55 - in fact there's a few outfits that specialize in just that, like Jess Ocumpaugh ( www.35caliber.com ) for about $250USD.

The EASY button for converting a straight-gripped Winchester 94 to a pistol grip would be to obtain a PG buttstock & curved lever - both drop-in's (the stock may need fitting) - yes, there will be a void between the top of the lever loop and the lower tang, but it's invisible with the lever/action closed.
    Thank you. I bookmarked JES reboring. Now to try to find a 94 or a 64 with a bad bore.
    Jim

Edit:

I just surfed through some online brokers and found a couple 64's that were priced well below a grand. One has a bad bore but doesn't look bad outside. Before I mail order I think I'll check my local and not-so-local gun stores.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim22; 06-29-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Or, obtain a Winchester Big Bore 94 in .450 Marlin and swap out the barrel.

That .450 Marlin looks an awful lot like the .458x2" American. I once had a hankering for one of those when I lived in Alaska. While there I experimented with a couple of .458 Win Mags and a .416 Rem.. Then a .400 belted whelen. I was younger then and recoil didn't bother me because arthritis had not yet found me. Most of my hunting was done with a Sako .338 Win Mag in a Sako Finnbear. 225 gr Hornady ahead of 70.0 grs IMR 4350 if I remember right.

I Googled the .450 Marlin and it was developed from the .458 American. The case was lengthened 0.10 inch. I no longer need or want power at that level. A nice .38-55 with 250 gr cast boolits at 1300-1500 fps will do anything I want.

Jim

my winchester timber carbine is in 444 marlin, a light weight easy toting woods rifle with enough power to handle any thing incountered in the lower 48.

That 94 Timber is neat. 45-70+P power (or-P)....
    In the 94 Winchester!
    In high school in FFA; if one sold enough magazine subscriptions one could win a number of different guns. The Winchester NRA 64 rifle and 94 Musket were the Holy Grail.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

The 64 is a cool version of the 94. They always reminded me of the 71’s little brother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast