WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Pedersoli Sharps Question

Boolit Man

Pedersoli Sharps Question

My Pedersoli model 74 Sharps 45-70 was built in 1997. My dad bought it new at a gun show, and I inherited it from him when he passed. I have put about 2000 rounds through it while enjoying the learning process involved handloading BPCR.

This morning the action suddenly became greasy smooth. The trigger guard, which normally snaps hard closed after the cartridge is loaded, acted like it didn't want to stay closed. When opening the action to retract the spent case, which normally requires the effort you would expect when overcoming an over-center lock, the breechblock just fell open with almost no effort. Is there a spring in there somewhere I broke?

Load info: 56.0 grains by weight of sifted Goex FFFg, zero compression. Hoch nose pour 459-500 bullet, 20 to 1 lead to tin, 514 grains. Rifle was fired comfortably at 200 yards from a bench with better than average results for me. Nothing exploded, but I quit when I noticed the loosy-goosy trigger guard. Who would I go to if a repair or a replacement part is necessary? Lee Shaver?

Thanks for any input.

Boolit Master
    I’d call Lee Shaver and ask him about it. He is (or was) Pedersoli’s N. American authorized gun warranty/repair station. He might be able to tell you what broke in the gun and fix you up with a replacement part if you can “do it yourself “. He’s a pretty good guy to talk to and about as fair as anyone can be.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a broken lever spring. Take the forend off and it’s the t-shaped thing with the wide end bearing on the lever and the narrow end screwed into a lug or base dovetailed into the barrel.

Usually they crack through the screw hole. Call VTI Gun Parts and see if they have a replacement.

It is one of those parts that can be expected to conk out sooner or later. Buying an extra, “just in case,” often ensures that you never get another broken one.

Boolit Man
    Replied to Bent Ramrod a few minutes ago but I do not believe it went through. Thanks, Bent, that lever spring was the problem. It was cracked ahead of the screw hole. I have contacted VTI Gun Parts and requested they check their inventory for a couple of them for me. The crack had to have been there a while, but must have reached the point where it could not take the load just recently. Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Always put the hammer in safe before dropping the lever in the future
    Regards
    John

Boolit Man
    John Boy: You are quite right. And, you are probably right in what you imply: No doubt I cracked that lever spring by forgetting to go to half cock before opening the action. Probably many times. But it won't happen ever again.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had several break on an original Sharps. Not from forgetting to half cock, they were just poor quality cast springs. I made a spring for it from good steel, and never had it break again.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Sounds like a broken lever spring. Take the forend off and it’s the t-shaped thing with the wide end bearing on the lever and the narrow end screwed into a lug or base dovetailed into the barrel.

Usually they crack through the screw hole. Call VTI Gun Parts and see if they have a replacement.

It is one of those parts that can be expected to conk out sooner or later. Buying an extra, “just in case,” often ensures that you never get another broken one.
    I have a Pedersoli Sharps "Q" made in the year 1998, I had the lever spring broken few months ago. Pedersoli sent me a replacement and the rifle was ready to fire in minutes, it needed just a small adjustment to set the right tension. Just in case, order a new percussion block too.