Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Need advice on alloy for 350 legend

Boolit Bub

Need advice on alloy for 350 legend

I just bit the bullet and ordered an ar-pdw in 350 Legend. I plan to try the mp360-640 bullet cast as solids and hp. I will powder coat these. The pdw has a 10.5" barrel and is select fire, but, I was trained to use semiautomatic and will probably rarely use the full automatic for more than a few fun bursts.
    What alloy should I try? I do intend on trying deer and hogs with it eventually so I need something that can handle the higher velocity but still perform well in the hp when impacting bone.

Boolit Master

Wow, select fire?? Where do ya live?

I use the NOE 357-190-RF or the NOE ELCO.

You might have problems getting the 640 to feed with that big flat meplat.

Are you going to lube or coat?
    NRA Benefactor.

I am using COWW with a gas check, in an NOE 358-190 mold

FWIW I am loading a .357 MAX rifle with the Lee 200 gr gascheck. I am using both COWW metal and Lyman #2 alloy. Lubing with Carnauba Red and sizing to .358". The rifle is a Henry single shot that started llife as a .357 Mag.. I have had high velocities with W296 but vertical stringing at 100 yds - an inch or so wide and 3-4 inches tall for 3 shots. The solution seems to be to use small rifle magnum primers with ball powder. If I use extruded single base powder I don't have the stringing. I have had good luck with 5744, VV N-110, and 4227 and standard small rifle primers. Right now I'm experimenting with Lil'Gun. I have yet to discover any evidence of leading in the barrel with either alloy so am concentrating on COWW's. The guys here sicced me onto Red Carnauba and they were right. I have yet to discover signs of excessive pressure.

I don't know about a 10.5" barrel. Might have to stick to faster powders.

4% Sb with 0.5% Cu. Heat treat. Don't want any dings that will jam. I use in AR10 308W full power. I use 170 gr RD style in 10" BO @ 1500 fps, lots of fun.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post

I use the NOE 357-190-RF or the NOE ELCO.
    Burnt Fingers, do you plan on hunting with that bullet profile, or just target practice? I ask because I am looking for a good bullet that will feed but still have a good capacity to take a deer down quick. Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    Burnt Fingers, do you plan on hunting with that bullet profile, or just target practice? I ask because I am looking for a good bullet that will feed but still have a good capacity to take a deer down quick. Thanks
    I'm too old and crippled to hunt any more. But I would use that boolit if I were going to hunt.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    If the 360-640 won't reliably feed, the for hunting I will try a swc-hp before a round nose design

Boolit Buddy
    I use the 35-140T I had Tom at Accurate Mold do for me. It’s a tuble lube plain base design that I powder coat. I use 50/50 ww/pure with a 50/50 solder tossed in.

I’ve had excellent results(great accuracy & NO leading) with a AR 9mm and Marlin ‘94 in 357.

I’ve taken a few coyotes and a few med sized hogs with it in the AR9 and Marlin. I haven’t recovered any bullets to see what they looked like after.

I’ve also had great luck with it in S&W revolvers, Ruger 357 Vaquero, Colt Detective Special, Browning Hi-Powers, Beretta 92s, Ruger EC9, S&W Shield, and 1911s in 9mm and 38 super.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...bullet=35-140T
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad