Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lube Removal

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Boiling in water and skimming the melted lube floating on top is about easy as it gets.
    I agree, it's not "hard" but... It seems as if I'm faced with the lady or tiger decision all the time on lubed bullets. I moved here some 11 years ago and more than once I've found lead / lubed bullets I hurriedly stashed when I moved. Even though I REALLY hate the smoke and smell of shooting them, and really like the results of PC'ing them, the demon sloth in me has a hard time spending the effort re-cast, or to strip off the wax, then PC and size what was perfectly good bullets!

This last week in my continuing struggle to get order in my garage I discovered some lubricated 3,000 .45's and .40's. This is like being at a feast with my lips sewn shut
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy

I just boil them in water for about 10 minutes in the cast iron pot I use to melt wheel weights or range scrap on my turkey fryer. When done I shut down the fryer and slowly pour cold water into the pot until all the melted wax has all overflowed with the water out over the edge of the pot. I then pour out the rest of the water and dump out the boolits on a mat to dry. I don't use any soap, gas or acetone, just plain boiling water and the powder coat adheres to the boolits just fine; they pass the smash test.

Boolit Grand Master

Tried the boil, rinse and boil again but the lube of some type is hanging tough. Got the boolits at auction and they are lubed with something or other which I assume some type of alox but never assume I guess. I did try putting a few in a can of Berrymans parts solvent I found on a shelf for an hour or so and that partially worked. Maybe try that overnight and see what happens before the gasoline soak.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    This is exactly what I experienced back in 2012 when I first got into powder coating. I had several thousand lubed bullets from different sources that I wanted to PC. The boiling method was touted as the sure cure and I tried it. On some lubes it worked, on the lot it didn't. A club member said overnight soak in gasoline, it always works: and it did.

Quite frankly, if one can't safely handle a bit of flammable liquid in a can, should they be involved in a very hazardous hobby like casting bullets to begin with.

Boolit Mold
    The easiest way I've found is to spread them on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels, and bake in the oven at lowest setting (170 F) in my oven. I double up on the paper towels. Remove them from the oven after several minutes and wipe them back and forth with the paper towels. The wax melts and is collected by the paper towels when blotting the bullets with the towels after baking. You may need to replace the paper towels and do a second bake and repeat the wiping/blotting to remove all of the wax. Then powder coat as usual process (shake and bake) is what I do, no BB's. Worked well for me.
    Last edited by 30calshooter; 12-14-2022 at 09:40 AM. Reason: correct typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12