RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Has anyone ?

Boolit Bub

Has anyone ?

#1 Question - Has anyone reloaded cast for 300 win mag ? I'm thinking 230 gr with Unique but the book only goes to 190 gr boolit with 18 gr of Unique. The Lee 309-230 mold is still unavailable even now.
    #2 Question - I also came across Berry's 220 gr jacketed bullets (500 ct) with max fps 1300-1600 ? Could that jacketed bullet be used as replacement if the Lee Mold isn't available ?

Boolit Master
    You might look up Ken Waters Pet loads info on that cartridge. The older Speer manuals have listings for reduced velocity loads using jacketed bullets too.

Boolit Master
    I can't say 300 WM, but 308 Norma. I used cast at 192gr +/- in that with success up to 1400ish. The Berry's idea is intriguing but I didn't think they made .308 jacketed bullets, only plated? I've shot a ton of them from pistols, and don't see why it wouldn't work.
    I was successful as far as accuracy goes, but then I questioned my motives - getting mild 30 WCF performance from such a large case seemed counterproductive, and I did struggle with positional issues in regards to the powder charge. I'm the first one to advocate for loading down (think auxiliary cartridges with pistol rounds) but I realized that I need to pick "horses for courses" (as my British friends say)
    I kind of gave up on casting for my rifles intended for long range though.

Edit: my 308 Norma (30-338) is a sporterized Eddystone.
    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 06-06-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the Lee 200 gr bullet with a gas check. no luck, kinda gave up.
    I have shot lots of jacketed 220 silver tips and they worked great but my 300 WM Parker Hale did not like cast. Not say there isn't something that will work. May be the twist rate was the factor. Anyway never got back to it.

Boolit Master

Loaded a bunch of .30/338s in a converted Springfield I had. Did pretty well with the Lyman 311284. Like has been mentioned. Not a good cast caliber./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Bub
    Cwtebay - Your correct on the being plated bullet.

Boolit Bub
    Mr Peabody - Thanks, I'll definitely look that up.

The magnums below the .338s are a real challenge with cast and I suspect plated. Maybe, Trailboss powder using its generic base of the bullet down to 60% of that load formula, where you load down to what you want, would work.

I've yet to try that, and yet to be happy with cast in .264WM, 7mmRM, or .300WM; but .35 and up magnums love cast - powder capacity to bullet base area seems to be the issue with twist rates, sometimes, exacerbating an, already, difficult situation.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Years ago I loaded some 311291s in my MKV Weatherby in 300 Weatherby Magnum.
    They were loaded with23 gr 2400 and 1 gr dacron.
    As I recall they shot pretty well.

Boolit Master

You can always go volumetric with trail boss.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have that 230 Lee mold. I’ve loaded some 30.06 rounds for a friend to hunt hogs with and for another who was was trying to shoot an M1A subsonic. I PCed the Boolits. They seemed to work ok, but I’ve always wondered about the boat tail design. Supposedly, you don’t gain anything from a boat tail until you are going out past a few hundred yards and the shape would enable gas cutting. I wouldn’t shoot them if they weren’t PCed. It is a sexy looking boolit though.

Boolit Master
    I gave up loading cast in my 300 win mag and my 308 norma mag now just load full bore jacketed , have other 30 cal. that shoot cast just fine. My 300 win mag is a p-17 eddystone and my 308 norma is a p-17 remington