MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationPBcastcoLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different results seating GC’s

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs44 View Post
    I seated my first gas checks today and of course had my share of not square checks,
    To eliminate that, put the check on the bench, push the base onto the check, and leave the boolit standing up on the bench.
    You can see it its off of being seated flat. Ones that are- I push 'em down a little harder.
    If they're still 'difficult', I lay that flat wrench for the sizer on top of the die, and push it down square with the press.

There's a little tool for doing that, but I never felt the need for it.
    Also, you can't find a picture of it--- that probably means it would be real simple to make.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    To eliminate that, put the check on the bench, push the base onto the check, and leave the boolit standing up on the bench.
    You can see it its off of being seated flat. Ones that are- I push 'em down a little harder.
    If they're still 'difficult', I lay that flat wrench for the sizer on top of the die, and push it down square with the press.

There's a little tool for doing that, but I never felt the need for it.
    Also, you can't find a picture of it--- that probably means it would be real simple to make.
    Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try too. I figured it was probably procedural error on my part. I was pretty much chucking the check in the 4500 and sticking the base to it. Most were ok ish for playing around, but it'll be better next round.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Sully

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    If the GC is seated square, I don't think the dome will make any difference.

The old Ideal handbooks told you to use a flat-face bottom punch for plain lead, a slightly concave one for gas checks. Purpose being to keep lube from getting between the bottom punch and the bullet. Lyman dies at least come with a concave bottom punch. The other end is flat, though. Try flipping yours over to see what happens. The chamfer won't be any problem since you're sizing a powder-coated bullet.
    This is correct ... my old Lyman 450 H & I dies have concave bottom punchs .
    I always assumed the slight dome was correct . I've been seating gas checks with the concave surface for about 50 years now and don't see a problem ... in fact I thought it was "domed" to help the gas checks seat square on the shank .
    If it feels better flat , flip the punch over and use the flat end .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

OP question - the 'dome' is due to die pulling the sides of the GC down. Only problem is the GC MUST enter the die correctly. If bullet first, the bullet tends to align the GC better. The dome itself won't decrease accuracy but the is AIR under it. It will get flat on firing.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs44 View Post
    I was pretty much chucking the check in the 4500 and sticking the base to it.
    That only works for me if the check doesn't sort of make a snap when I put it on.
    If I pick up a boolit, and the check falls off-- then it'll do OK by putting it in the sizer, then run the boolit down.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooper003 View Post
    Tried something today, I cast 300 200 gr. 358 boolits & gas checks were not going on easily. I put the last 50 boolits in the freezer for 1/2 hour, while keeping checks warm.checks went on much easier & squared. Checks should be tighter when temp is equalized. Warmed everything up & powder coated.
    Outstanding! This is a great idea! I'm gonna try it tonight, and report my findings. See ya,

Scotty

Boolit Buddy
    Squarely seated checks are my preference. I confess to manipulating them into "square" position before they go thru die. In my case , everything is through sized so I like to get them on squarely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12