Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Burn ring removal with Berryman's

Burn ring removal with Berryman's

The front of the 625 was pretty much solid black from the amount of shooting I've been doing lately. In the past I have used lead removal cloths or metal polish.

I got to thinking (a rare event for me so join my celebration) that burn rings are mostly carbon. Hmmm (my thinking noise); what do I have that will cut carbon.

Found a can of Berryman's B12 with a little left in it. Dampened a corner of a shop rag and began to rub the cylinder face. Burn rings dissolved. Just a bit of residue that I am sure will come with Berryman's and a brass brush or just more rubbing. No abrasive action involved.

Some caveats. This was a stainless gun. I have no idea what it would do on a blue gun. I would bet my bottom dollar that it will eat about any wood finish out there.

Remember; Berryman's is potent. WEAR GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION. IT WILL BURN YOUR SKIN (mine anyway). GOD HELP YOU IF YOU GET IT IN YOUR EYES. THIS STUFF IS NOT SOLD IN ALL STATES IT IS HUNGRY. RESPECT IT. DO NOT BREATH IT.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Berryman’s B12 great stuff, when I was growing up my dad had a 5 gallon can that was about 2/3 full he would soak carbs in it over night before he would re-build them.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    Something useful for those involved in the post we had not long ago about removing the carbon ring in 357 chambers when shooting a lot of 38 Specials in them.

I'd try it first in an out of sight place, but it's like super charged acetone and shouldn't mess with bluing.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I've used it on guns for decades and it does not hurt bluing. Keep it away from painted surfaces and stock finishes, though!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    How would it work on 22 suppressor baffles?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul105 View Post
    How would it work on 22 suppressor baffles?
    I’ve been using C4 carbon remover with good success. I usually soak it for a day then most of the remaining crud can be wiped with paper towel, very little brushing after that and baffles look like new.

I've never been obsessive about removing the carbon on the face of my cylinders. I figure it reduces the gap by some microscopic amount.

That ring inside from shooting .38 Specials in a .357 is another matter. But I've just soaked those in Hoppes and used a bronze brush.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kayala View Post
    I’ve been using C4 carbon remover with good success. I usually soak it for a day then most of the remaining crud can be wiped with paper towel, very little brushing after that and baffles look like new.
    Thanks, I think I have some of that.

Boolit Master
    I've never been obsessive about removing the carbon on the face of my cylinders.
    Me neither. I think of it as "patina", and it shows you love your guns enough to shoot them

Boolit Bub
    Ive used B12 on my Freedom Arms 454 Casull after shooting lots of 45 LC and I've used it on suppressors, works pretty good.