Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Antlions... Hmm. That's odd

Boolit Master

Antlions... Hmm. That's odd

Last night we were on the porch and I noticed some funnel looking features in the dry loose dirt off to one side. After a quick bit of research, I found out that they are antlion lairs. I dug one up easily enough and they are odd creatures for sure.

I am interested in virtually everything and this is just another thing to satisfy my curiosity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210606_111223151.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	284064

ETA. I left it on the counter to make this post. When I went back, it was gone. How to break the news to the wife that an antlion is loose in the house... Luckily they are not know for their endurance running so I found it a couple of feet away.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    I'm not familiar with those! Pretty interesting critter!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Get a small, glass fishbowl, fill it about half way up with sand (or whatever dry, loose dirt you have), and drop him in.

In no time he'll have made a lair. Kind of cool watching them do it, they make circles under the sand, flipping sand out of the circle until they've made their funnel.

You can drop ants or any similar-sized insect in there (they shouldn't be able to climb the glass) and watch them fall to the center, and get pulled under by the antlion.

I used to keep them that way when I was a kid. When you get bored with feeding then, just put them back outside.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Common creatures that dig those little funnel traps in loose dirt or sand. Harmless unless you are an ant that happens to fall into the funnel! We have had them for years. Just part of Mother Nature's cycle of life.

Boolit Master

Doodlebugs!

Super Moderator

They are cool and highly specialized creatures! I can remember as a child taking a small twig and getting them to go after it when lightly touching it to the funnel. We would also catch ants and feed them to the "Lions".

Boolit Master
    We've all done things like that as kids. One of my friends son caught a borer bee a couple of weeks back and put it in the freezer. When it was cold and dormant, he tied a very small thread to it, took it outside and walked his bee.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Yes doodle bugs ! That’s what we called them , I didn’t know the correct name until after I was grown . Amazing little creatures.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    We've all done things like that as kids. One of my friends son caught a borer bee a couple of weeks back and put it in the freezer. When it was cold and dormant, he tied a very small thread to it, took it outside and walked his bee.

We used to do that with June bugs. No freezer involved.

Boolit Buddy
    What's really cool is to watch them work when a small bug falls in the funnel. My dad and I always called them "funnel bugs" for fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Part of our entertainment growing up was horned frogs and antlions. We'd catch ants, drop them into the antlions "funnel" and watch them disappear. We'd carry the horny toads for days before letting them loose.