Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-'64 Model 70s

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    As FYI Winchester Model 70 prior to 1942 in 30Govt06 had clip slot receiver whereas postwar only had clip slot on Match rifles. The Model 54 in '06 had clip slot receiver.
    Model 54 with clip slot. This happens to be a 30Gov't06 but all except the 30-30 which had a different receiver had the slots. It was designed in because of the large amount of 03 loaded clips available and the popularity of the '06 cartridge at the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	284132

So many of us grew up spoiled by scopes, and have forgotten what they knew then about the great utility of a rifle with a good receiver sight easily fed by stripper clips. Outpost and NEKVT, thanks for the nice reminder of another reason to like old M70s.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by NEKVT View Post
    Model 54 with clip slot. This happens to be a 30Gov't06 but all except the 30-30 which had a different receiver had the slots. It was designed in because of the large amount of 03 loaded clips available and the popularity of the '06 cartridge at the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	284132
    I like the Winchester 54. Here is mine:Attachment 284172

Attachment 284170Attachment 284171
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Picked this up earlier this week
    WINCHESTER 30-06 MODEL 70 PRE-64 FEATHERWEIGHT - MADE in 1957

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    So many of us grew up spoiled by scopes, and have forgotten what they knew then about the great utility of a rifle with a good receiver sight easily fed by stripper clips. Outpost and NEKVT, thanks for the nice reminder of another reason to like old M70s.
    I owned a pre-war M70 '06 with a Lyman, and the stripper slot. Later I owned a Rem 30S Express '06, same setup, Lyman and stripper clip slot.

Now I own a Persian/Brno 98 .257 Roberts with, you guessed it, a Lyman and a stripper clip slot. Also has a very early Timney.

The Winchester was more refined, but I liked the Remington a lot. It was a cock on opening one. Those M1917 receivers are bigger and bulkier than the M70 and it would probably be better to use them for bigger cartridges. Let the M70 be your 7x57 and the M30 be your .375 HH or .416 Rigby.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1951 Mod 70 in 06 and a 1976 Mod 70 in 06, both tack drivers.

I was at a local shop today they had a few pre 64 Model 70,s I had to check them out the 30-06 and 270 Win. was at about $500 and what really got my attention was one in 375 H&H Mag, it was priced at $2,200 a bit much for me I will have to stick with my Remington 798 in 375 H&H Mag it has been paid for for years, but to me I would like to have a pre 64 model 70 in one of the true go to Africa calibers, I will just have to let my budget grow up to the size of my dreams.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dh2 View Post
    I was at a local shop today they had a few pre 64 Model 70,s I had to check them out the 30-06 and 270 Win. was at about $500 and what really got my attention was one in 375 H&H Mag, it was priced at $2,200 a bit much for me I will have to stick with my Remington 798 in 375 H&H Mag it has been paid for for years, but to me I would like to have a pre 64 model 70 in one of the true go to Africa calibers, I will just have to let my budget grow up to the size of my dreams.
    Mind mentioning the shop? I have a brother at Bragg who might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Mind mentioning the shop? I have a brother at Bragg who might be interested.
    Midsouth guns at Wagram NC a bit south of Reaford, it is worth he has things in stock that I have seen no where else

Boolit Master
    I picked up a pre 64 made in 1952 about 20 years ago in 300 magnum for very good price. It doesn't have the clip slots nor does it have rear scope base holes in the top of the receiver. Bubba mounted a side mount tip off scope base on it and then remounted it slightly so it has lost any of it's "collector" value. It was used by an Eskimo for years as his hunting rifle and has plenty of nicks and scars but it doesn't appear to have been shot a lot. It has become my go to hunting rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    A little-admitted fact is that Sears Roebuck contracted with Winchester to make a version of the M70 with better gas blocking at the rear of the action/bolt. Since they are branded either JC Higgins or Ted Williams, pawn shops often sell them at a bargain price. A member of our shooting range searches for them. The quality is very high, and the rifles often show little use.
    . I was gifted one of those by an old, very good friend who no longer shoots but didn't want to pawn preferring it go to a good home where it would be used like it should. It is a 270 with beautiful wood and loves CB's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12