WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Advice

Alright, I have found a T/C Seneca rifle, I have not laid eyes on it yet. My LGS called me today to let me know they have it on consignment. I have a 30+year history with this shop. They tell me it’s an 85-90% rifle. It is a 45, which is what I want. They have a price of $540 for the rifle. I wanted to buy it sight unseen instantly, I have grown to trust the opinions here, I am in Northern California, this isn’t Muzzleloading territory, from my last several months of research I’m not worried about the price, what I’m asking for is what should I be looking for, They don’t open back up till Tuesday, so I’m hoping to get there to view, I just want to know what I should be looking for, I Will shoot and hunt with this rifle. I’m not looking for a collection piece. It will be my first muzzleloader.

Look down the barrel with a strong light it should be real clean for that price, and make sure that you can remove the Nipple, and check the stock for cracks at the bolt that holds the Lock in to the stock. Those are nice rifles, they are lighter than the Hawken but a little more delicate also.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you’re buying from a gun shop, especially one you’ve dealt with for all that time, they should be able to assure you that it is in good working order. I’ve learned over the years, that’s is best to pay a little more for a gun, if it’s in really good condition.

Boolit Master
    Make sure you pull the lock 1st , if neglected that and the bore using a bore light will tell the condition . If you lack a bore light pick up a archery( lighted nock) and use it ,check trigger for function .Other than that appearance will tell how it was maintained/Ed

When you go to look at it ask if the shop has an endoscope so you can check the barrel. Plus 1 on the lock. Pull it and make sure there is no sign of corrosion.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Yes! to all of the above, but shoulder it before you buy as the T/C stock doesn't fit everyone. Also, .440" T/C RB moulds are plentiful and reasonably priced (or were, pre-pandemic) because they are anodized aluminum vs. "iron." Btw, I owned a ca. 1977 version that was beautifully made and a tack driver.

Boolit Master
    Loosen screw of cocked lock about two to three turns, VERY gently tap/bump to dislodge lock. Pull screw and then remove lock STRAIGHT out, using the hammer as a handle can blow wood around lock if not very careful. I would also pull rod and run a patch for feel along with visual, pop pin and remove barrel for visual under wood line. For that amount it should be pretty nice! If that is what you are really looking for you will enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I would also pull rod and run a patch for feel along with visual,
    Just a small note here. If you use this method make sure to put a little lube of some kind on the patch. I did this at a pawn shop with a dry patch and we were lucky to finally get the rod out.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    If I want to inspect the innards of a gun at a gun shop I ask the shop person to disassemble it for me. That way if something breaks (or falls out) I don't have to buy it.

FWIW, I have two Seneca's ( .36 & .45) and a .45 Cherokee - and have owned/sold several others (one was a .32 from T/C's Fox River Custom Shop that was hard to load due to my fat fingers).

If the exterior looks OK, and the bore's rust-free, the only thing to check is for a cracked stock - other than that, you should be good to go.

The Cherokee/Seneca is much smaller than the larger Hawken/Renegade, and will readily crack the stock if it was shot with Hawken type/approved loads.

The Cherokee/Patriot/Seneca also uses a smaller nipple (Track of the Wolf has them) - so if there's a removal issue, it's not a big deal to drill out the old nipple, pick the threads & install a new nipple with an anti-seize compound on the threads.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Well I looked at the Seneca, what a light comfortable rifle. The bore was rusted, along with everything else important, I politely passed. I am having a hard time making up my mind. I have two choices, the Pedersoli 45 scout and the new version of the Lyman Great Plains by Pedersoli, in .50 cal. Both seem like a good choice, what do you fellas have to say?

Banned
    I have the Lyman Great Plains in 54 cal. The one with the slow twist for round ball. It is not as light as a Seneca but it is accurate ad dependable.

It has a patent breech which takes a little time to get used to when it comes to cleaning but not a big deal.

Mine was built before the Pedersoli days.

Steve in N CA

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    Well I looked at the Seneca, what a light comfortable rifle. The bore was rusted, along with everything else important, I politely passed. I am having a hard time making up my mind. I have two choices, the Pedersoli 45 scout and the new version of the Lyman Great Plains by Pedersoli, in .50 cal. Both seem like a good choice, what do you fellas have to say?
    Rock Island auction has a sale going on right now. You may want to check there, but do it quick. As said it is going on right now.

Well I looked at the Seneca, what a light comfortable rifle, I politely passed.

I am having a hard time making up my mind.

I have two choices, the Pedersoli 45 scout and the new version of the Lyman Great Plains by Pedersoli, in .50 cal.

Both seem like a good choice, what do you fellas have to say ?
    Nobody can make your mind up for you...…

However, IME there's no comparison of either to a Seneca, in either weight or handiness.

Here's a nice .45 Seneca F/S: https://www.armslist.com/posts/11397...al---nice-one-

Here's a nice/plainer .45 Cherokee F/S: https://www.armslist.com/posts/10556...herokee-45-cal

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

What is your opinion on the investarms Hawken? I can’t find any information on the sights, do any of you have one ?

Boolit Master
    What is your opinion on the investarms Hawken? I can’t find any information on the sights, do any of you have one ?
    Had one years ago(.54). Very reliable, sturdy and accurate with conicals. The stock layout beat the pieces out of me, I wouldn't get another because of that.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one. It's a Cabelas model. Their guns use to be made by Investarms. Bought mine used about 30 years ago. Mine has two barrels, 50 & 58. I like it very much, it's one of the better guns I own of all the more than a dz BP guns. It's accurate and has no issues,
    Aim small, miss small!

Well I ordered the Investarms Bridger Hawken in 45 cal.

Boolit Master
    I have two choices, the Pedersoli 45 scout and the new version of the Lyman Great Plains by Pedersoli, in .50 cal. Both seem like a good choice, what do you fellas have to say?
    I personally don't like guns with a drum like the Pedersoli Lyman. I have had one CVA rifle with a drum that the drum blew out. I have heard of several others that have.

Well the rifle was delivered today, it’s a very good looking rifle, it will definitely be hanging on the wall in the living room. I hope to shoot it on Wednesday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast