Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: top punch replacement

Boolit Buddy

top punch replacement

I have been sizing some bullets I casted with a mold from Accurate mold. It came with a aluminum top punch that is .300 across its face. The punch was almost impossible to remove after using it for about 300 bullets. I buggered getting it removed. I want to replace it with a flat faced steel punch. Anyone know which Lyman that would be? Or are there other alternatives?

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a one inch long section of ¼" rod as a top punch for about 99% of my lubing and sizing. It even works on RN boolits, but I generally use wheel weights as my main alloy.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

I used a 1/4 hex bolt with shoulder for a DIY flat top punch...I faced the head and reduced the diameter with my cheapo china drill press.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I have been sizing some bullets I casted with a mold from Accurate mold. It came with a aluminum top punch that is .300 across its face. The punch was almost impossible to remove after using it for about 300 bullets. I buggered getting it removed. I want to replace it with a flat faced steel punch. Anyone know which Lyman that would be? Or are there other alternatives?
    If you have a Lyman top punch you don't use , just fill the existing cavity with epoxy putty , JB Weld or any Epoxy , let cure then sand / file dead flat ... there you have a flat top punch .
    I usually do this to RN punches because I use SWC and WC mostly ...and in a pinch you can seat RN boolits with a flat punch ... doesn't hurt a thing!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Seems strange that the punch would have become stuck in the ram. Did you over tighten the hex screw?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Moderator Emeritus

If you don't want to turn down a 1/4" bolt try a #8 punch for 3118 or 311008. It should be close.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Seems strange that the punch would have become stuck in the ram. Did you over tighten the hex screw?
    Mine do on occasion on both Ly and RCBS sizers. I grab them with a pair of pliers around the edge and raise the ram to the top. They eject easily.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    It's a shame that vendors don't describe the contours of these in their catalogs. It turns out it's perhaps the most trivial piece of casting equipment on a lathe, but that's only useful if you have a lathe, I know. I have no idea why someone would make these of aluminum.

I would look for a mold that has the same approximate nose dimension as yours, and look up the top punch for that mold. Steel punches from RCBS, Lyman, et.al., are a $10 item these days, it seems. (Overpriced, in my opinion.) For cheapest including shipping see used items on eBay.

Boolit Buddy
    Hollowpoint mold has flat top punches for sale $5. It’s been on my list for some time but the shipping alone is what has stopped me from ordering. I’m going to send two molds in for Erik to HP soon, I’ll have it shipped with them on their return trip.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    This was a top punch that came with a Accurate mold. I finally got it out and had to take a file to it to reduce the diameter a bit. This thing would be a bear to remove without doing that. Maybe I did over tighten the hex screw. But I dont think so. Never had a problem with opther top punches. My Lymans go in and out no problem.
    I already have replacements coming from Grafs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    This was a top punch that came with a Accurate mold. I finally got it out and had to take a file to it to reduce the diameter a bit. This thing would be a bear to remove without doing that. Maybe I did over tighten the hex screw. But I dont think so. Never had a problem with opther top punches. My Lymans go in and out no problem.
    I already have replacements coming from Grafs.
    I got a flat top set coming from Accurate. Will report when I use them.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Mine do on occasion on both Ly and RCBS sizers. I grab them with a pair of pliers around the edge and raise the ram to the top. They eject easily.
    Same here ... I have one that was used and left in a 450 for years ... I didn't think I was ever going to get that sap-sucker out ... it still bears the scars of the pliers teeth ...
    The lesson should be ... lube and remove them every so often ... they will get stuck !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Hi Doulos,
    To answer your question, SAECO makes a line of top punches that fit the Lyman/RCBS lubesizers. They are steel, and the flat nosed versions are designated by the suffix 200, preceded by the caliber, e.g. 35200, which would fit a 35 caliber bullet. Like I say, the punches are flat across the nose and can be used for any bullet with a flat meplat. I got mine from MidwayUSA, ranging in sizes from 22 to 45 cal.
    Ozonebob

Boolit Master
    I use the Accurate top punch. You can watch the bullets auto-center.

https://youtu.be/IxR3hzUOonM
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 06-25-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Have a friend with lathe make you one. Don't ask how I know.