RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just can't stop...

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    What kind of pot do you use?
    I really want a small dutch oven with lid, and to pair it with more consistent heat source, I think the gas regulation on my coleman is faulty. I am unable to find a 1-2 quart cast iron dutch oven that is not made of gold. I alternate between the small lyman cast iron for hollow points and a bigger one quart stainless sauce pan for the plain keith bullets. I want a bigger ladle for casting the plain semiwadcutters, the mold is eight cavity and the rcbs ladle barely has capacity. Plus the bottom pour ladle idea intrigues me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I saw something in the news the other day saying that people are starting to eat them. It went on to say that people with shellfish allergies should not eat them.

I wouldn’t flux them, fearing the moisture in them may invite the tinsel fairy!
    Read something this morning about the high mercury content in Cicadas. Unverified but I'll used that as the big reason to not eat bugs, beside the thought of it grosses me out and I have eaten from food venders on the streets of Manila.
    Mind you I did have a smoked octopus as a topping on a pizza in Ecuador that was remarkably good.

Some of the cicadas are infected with a fungus called massaspora. I think it's gross and don't want to touch the sick ones. It consumes their organs and turns the abdomen into a chalky off white or yellow color crumbly sickness, eventually killing them. Produces chemicals similar to amphetamine and psycybin to painkill and increase movement ability and sex drive, they get fungus mind controlled (similar to cordyceps) and for example males will flick the wings identical as receptive females to lure uninfected males to mate and spread the spores. I cannot make this stuff up. I wonder, if they are trying to eat the bugs , with the intent being intoxication?
    P.s. I am so glad they don't jump into the lead pot, flap their wings like dummies, scattering melt everywhere before they die an awful death, I hate getting lead burns, plus would probably smell like burning hair, hopefully not mine. I'll just try to tolerate the casting buddies until they are finished. I prefer beeswax and parrafin for flux.

Boolit Master

For four cavity molds I use a rawhide hammer to open the sprue plate.

If you're trying to open it by hand then you are going to have problems if you wait for it to properly cool.

Where are ya located??? If you're close by to me I might have a spare bottom pour pot for ya.

Two cavity molds I open by hand. But there's no way these 60 year old hands can open a properly cooled four cavity mold.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    To cost everyone more money, I have to add that in addition to the two molds you show, everyone should try the 360-180fp and his 360-640 in both light and heavy versions. I love Miha's molds.

Boolit Buddy
    As long as you like the way they look and shoot well is all that matters. I'm from Va also.

Boolit Master

Which would I prefer to load and shoot? Definitively, the Keith HP SWC boolits. Nothing against the rounded ogive, I use similar profiles for 45 ACP (Devastator) and Colt (RN). I just viscerally like SWC Keith-style boolits in my 357 Ruger SP101. Keith's are so much like full WC's, which are ALWAYS a hoot to shoot. There is something about launching a "flying ash can" down range.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I want to test these through the 77/357. Already tested the 172 grain keith bullets with 14 grains 4227 and they shot great.

I have a bunch of the hollow pointed keiths made up, some with 296, some with Red Dot, some with 4227. Most are clear coated, some are Eastwood ford light blue.

The magnums loaded with 296 shot to the sights at 20 yards in the Smith and Wesson model 60 snub. The red dot and 4227 special loaded shot to the sights in the Taurus 82. Both revolvers have fixed sights.

Has any of y'all tried putting aperature sights on the ruger 77/357? I really like how light and handy the rifle is. I don't like the sights as they come from the factory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12