RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot the ccw requalification

Shot the ccw requalification

Illinois requires a requalification for ccw holders every 5 years. I shot the course today. There is also 3 hours of classroom required.

The course of fire is 10 shots at 5 yards, 10 shots at 7 yards, and 10 shots at 10 yards. I used my 625 model of 1989. I highly recommend the Rimz plastic clips with .45 acp ammo.

I was the only revolver shooter. One of the instructors is a retired leo with lots of training experience. I placed my revolver on the bench with the cylinder open and 4 loaded clips on the bench. Then I stepped back. The instructor looked at my revolver and smiled.

10 shots at 5 yards. Unload and step back. Instructor scored our targets. 10 shots at 7 yards. Unload and step back. Instructor scored targets. The instructor had a helper to watch the firing line. The helper also teaches a shoot no shoot course. The helper asked me (kidding) if I was a first time shooter. I told him yeah but I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and played Call of Duty. He said he didn't get to see shooting like this very often.

Final 10 shots at (gasp) 10 yards. Shoot 5 reload shoot 5 clear and step back. Instructor comes to my target and says " how am I supposed to score this?"

Some points. There was no time limit so I shot single action. (I had practiced double action just in case). I looked at my front sight. I was shooting a handload. Lyman 452460 sized .452 over 5.8 of 231 with CCI 300 primers. Finally the furthest we shot was 30 FEET. Not yards. A couple of times I finished last time wise. The rest of the line was mostly mag dumping.

I'm pleased with my target but I really think that MANY folks on this forum would do just as well. I mean I was trying hard and I have been practicing and dry firing but still we are talking about 30 feet.

So there it is. FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Super Moderator

Nice shooting, congrats on that target Sir! S&W really got it right with the 625 model of 1989. Here's a couple pics of mine: Altamont Roper style round to square butt conversion grips in Olivewood, fits my hands perfectly. Another pic with the El Paso Saddlery "Tom Threepersons" holster with "Frontier Floral" engraving. It's my Sunday "Go to Meeting Gun". It's one of my all time favorites for sure, and it shoots extremely well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	625.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	284030
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eps.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	284031

Beautiful grips!

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Better not 'mess' with that Guy!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Illinois requires a requalification for ccw holders every 5 years. I shot the course today. There is also 3 hours of classroom required.

The course of fire is 10 shots at 5 yards, 10 shots at 7 yards, and 10 shots at 10 yards. I used my 625 model of 1989. I highly recommend the Rimz plastic clips with .45 acp ammo.

I was the only revolver shooter. One of the instructors is a retired leo with lots of training experience. I placed my revolver on the bench with the cylinder open and 4 loaded clips on the bench. Then I stepped back. The instructor looked at my revolver and smiled.

10 shots at 5 yards. Unload and step back. Instructor scored our targets. 10 shots at 7 yards. Unload and step back. Instructor scored targets. The instructor had a helper to watch the firing line. The helper also teaches a shoot no shoot course. The helper asked me (kidding) if I was a first time shooter. I told him yeah but I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and played Call of Duty. He said he didn't get to see shooting like this very often.

Final 10 shots at (gasp) 10 yards. Shoot 5 reload shoot 5 clear and step back. Instructor comes to my target and says " how am I supposed to score this?"

Some points. There was no time limit so I shot single action. (I had practiced double action just in case). I looked at my front sight. I was shooting a handload. Lyman 452460 sized .452 over 5.8 of 231 with CCI 300 primers. Finally the furthest we shot was 30 FEET. Not yards. A couple of times I finished last time wise. The rest of the line was mostly mag dumping.

I'm pleased with my target but I really think that MANY folks on this forum would do just as well. I mean I was trying hard and I have been practicing and dry firing but still we are talking about 30 feet.

I believe the technical term for that is DRT. (Dead Right There!) I shot my 1st-time CCW qual with a Ruger Mark II. I think everything we shot was at 7 yards. Not quite that good a group, but unless he was a meth head, he wasn't going very far. I'm going to have to do it again, as I couldn't scrape up the cash for the license, but that's ok. I like to shoot.

Bill

Boolit Master

Lol!! Congratulations. That'll give'm something to talk about.
    I would have shot that exact procedure. There are some folks that shoot, there are shooters, then, "there are shooters". Yourself being in the latter class. Great shootin.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

LoL I did that exactly the same thing with my 686 when it was time to score our target my instructor just smiled
    It was really hard not to just do head shots put properly wouldn't look to good if i ever had to defend myself and went back and looked at my target
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Ain"t braggin when you shoot groups like that/Ed

Boolit Master
    We have to qualify on the max caliber we want to carry, revolver and semi-auto. Many of us shoot two quals so we can carry either one. Minimum is .32cal. Mine are .45acp and .357mag. 15rnds from 3yds and 10rnds from 7yds, 12x18 target and any hits count (yes, I have seen people miss the target at 3yds).

When I qualify I usually have my tweaked 1911 and the Python. They are both better than I am. Most of the time no one questions the targets as the classes are small and instructors observe the shooting.

One time the class was larger and the instructor did not witness each shot and had to count the holes. Two of us were asked to shoot a fresh target and to 'spread the rounds out enough to count'. He said the state rejected a couple of targets with one large hole in them.

So, I fired a 'smiley face'

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    We have to qualify on the max caliber we want to carry, revolver and semi-auto. Many of us shoot two quals so we can carry either one. Minimum is .32cal. Mine are .45acp and .357mag. 15rnds from 3yds and 10rnds from 7yds, 12x18 target and any hits count (yes, I have seen people miss the target at 3yds).

When I qualify I usually have my tweaked 1911 and the Python. They are both better than I am. Most of the time no one questions the targets as the classes are small and instructors observe the shooting.

One time the class was larger and the instructor did not witness each shot and had to count the holes. Two of us were asked to shoot a fresh target and to 'spread the rounds out enough to count'. He said the state rejected a couple of targets with one large hole in them.

I love it.

Boolit Grand Master
    We only have to do it the one time if we renew when required. I figured if they were gonna make it so easy I would make the smallest hole possible. Two targets fifty shot aggregate. Yes ours was max 30 feet as well.

The instructor looked at mine and said “Novice huh? Could you have shot a smaller group?”

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Good shooting sir!! Great pistol. I’ve been using rimz plastic moon clips for years and I absolutely love them.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

First time I shot for my CCW with my son's 9 m, the first ten shots were close to each other in center mass and countable. The instructor was pretty busy with two young ladies whom were shooting for the first time. He looked at my target and I told him that the one right between eyes wasn't my shot. Sure enough there were 11 holes. Only nine holes in the fellows target on my right and they were scattered all over. LOL Way to go Thumcocker Great Shooting at any distance. I suppose your group doesn't open up much at greater distances.
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 06-05-2021 at 08:55 PM. Reason: add words

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

Here, if you shoot a revolver to qualify, you can only carry a revolver. If you shoot an automatic, you can carry either. There are a bunch of things about Oklahoma firearms law that don't make sense to me, but this was a Progressive state in 1907. You may not use a bullet over .45cal for self defense. No Smith 500's for me. And Constitutional Carry was passed recently, so I guess I won't be doing any complaining just yet.

Bill-

Boolit Master
    The different laws are certainly interesting. At least reciprocity is getting better.

Boolit Master
    My wife and I both qualified for a ND Class 1 CCW twice. Weak hand shooting is done at around 10 yards (I forget the state requirement) and the longest distance is 15 yards. There is a kneeling stage, and I was always surprised that everyone but me dropped to both knees. I dropped to my right knee, using the left leg and elbow to support my off hand (2-handed grip). The test administrator asked if I had ever hunted with a handgun, and I admitted to 3 whitetails with a SBH. He said all handgun hunters use a braced kneeling position at 45 feet, non hunters don't think of it. Yup, the first time I made one large hole using my S&W 45ACP M1955 Target revolver. Wheel guns are real guns! ;<)

Boolit Buddy
    Nice shooting. Revolvers still get it done. I've got several speed loaders coming and will be practicing reloads with the revolver soon.

Boolit Master

A few months back, when I shot my IL re-certification, I used my 'everyday, a SIG 365XL with my 'carry' ammo: +P 124 gr JHPs. At that time I'd only had the gun a little over a month and was still getting used to the factory-installed 'Romeo-Zero' red dot but did keep 28 of 30 inside the 10-ring. Shooter on my left shot something reminded me of a 25-yard buckshot pattern, guy on my right was a former Navy Shore Patrol shooting a Beretta 92 and his target was just a bit better than mine. He and I were the last two on the line and the instructor - retired LEO training officer - got down to our end and didn't even bother to score our targets, just grinned and said: "Looks like you guys done this before" and told us to secure our weapons and return to the classroom.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    When we had our little fun league to shoot PPC style matches, the first leg included 12 shots at 7 1/2 yd with the necessary reload, accomplished with a single draw from the holster and a time limit of about 30 seconds, IIRC. If any of your shots strayed outside of the ten ring under those criteria, the rest of the match was a catch up exercise. I usually shot a full house PPC gun for this, but could duplicate this leg with a tuned but otherwise stock Model 66 with 4” barrel. I say all of this to say that our current generation of shooters just don’t know how well the old revolvers and their shooters, with preparation and practice, could do. Ten yards as the “hard part”? NO PROBLEM for the old grey beards!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

My good friend, The Green Frog is spot on!

Dale53

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast