WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hornady LNL progressive.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I hate fixing things. I get frustrated doing an oil change. LOL.
    i agree. I buy a press to load ammo not challenge my mechanical abilitys. I doubt a helicopter pilot would want to fly a helicopter that needs in flight repairs and tweaks while in flight. Or an automatic in flight refueling system that jammed up about every 10 minutes like those *** case feeders do. There so bad i took them off and dont even bother with them. Probably a good press if you dont want a case feeder and are willing to prime by hand but who buys a 700 dollar press to do that? If your going to reengineer the thing you might as well start with a loadmaster for half the price. might even be a good press for someone who spends as much time cleaning and polishing it as pulling the handle. Me? I just want to pull the handle and shoot. THANK YOU DILLION. I use my 550s at least 3 times a week. Clean them (just the primer slide) about once a month. Wouldnt even have to do that if a guy wet tumbled. Ill polish and clean my challenger but my press are road hard and put away wet. Only brand ive seen hold up to that is a dillion period end of story. I could go out in the shop right now and load 10 primer tubes and crank out a 1000 rounds without a hitch. Then turn around and do it again tommarow and dont even have to be a helicopter mechanic or a mechanical engineer to do it. Ive had a few locals argue with me about how good there lock and load is. Inevitably i visit them and look at them and they look like they were just taken out of the box and they might have 500 rounds of ammo total in the house. One of them even asked me once for a piece of 223 brass because he lost one and there was an empty space in one of his boxes!! I usually have more ammo in my jeep then they have total.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I hate fixing things. I get frustrated doing an oil change. LOL.

See we are just different: the Navy purchased the SH-60B 41 years age and unfortunately I was there. It makes a LNL look like a 1050, so I have had plenty of practice fixing things. Been in the computer business for last 26 years and they break too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I bought one of the first generation LNL AP's, got my 1000 bullets, did the upgrade to 2nd generation and learned quickly the priming system was not the best by far. Not that much of a problem, I prefer to size and prime off the LNL AP anyway, (for rifle anyway). Tried their auto case feed and found that complete junk, I'm working on adapting a 4 tube LEE unit. For handgun calibers the LEE Auto disc Pro on a LEE expander die works much better than Hornady's measure, (which I do like, I think it's one of the best measures on the market, just for small handgun charges the Lee Auto Disc Pro is better).

Yes, the basic press is good and for the money, I would buy another one. It's easy to set up and index's well. The priming system is reminiscent of something out of the 60's though. If you're loading with 15-20gr or more of powder, the measure that comes with it is great, less than that, use a LEE Auto Disc Pro with a LEE expander die. I was so disappointed with the Hornady case feeder I took it off and didn't try their bullet feeder, (the collator jammed quite often, other than that, it worked well).
    Or you could use the pistol rotor for the Hornady powder measure.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    See we are just different: the Navy purchased the SH-60B 41 years age and unfortunately I was there. It makes a LNL look like a 1050, so I have had plenty of practice fixing things. Been in the computer business for last 26 years and they break too.
    so your saying you like using your hard earned money to by poorly designed things so you can fix them. I sure hope our military doesnt think like that. Yes they can be had. They can buy something that sometimes is inferior to a different choice but I dont think there proud of there mistake. Or are glad there mechanics have something to do fixing junk. If i was told by people that owned X brand computer that it was junk i sure wouldnt pay good money to buy it for a challenge. Thats about like buying an RG revolver and trying to make it into a gun as good as a smith. Or like paying 30 percent less for a 70s amc gremlin and trying to make it as good as a toyota corolla. Swap enough parts and you could probably do it buy why when you can buy a good one to begin with. My mechanic is a sharp man. Sharp enough that he buys a good car or truck instead of paying less for junk and wrenching on it just because he can. Im out of here now. Ive owned and still do own both. Aint my first rodeo. Run both for a week and its obvious which is better engineered. You can buy what you want. Its not my money but most of us here have been there and done that and know better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    so your saying you like using your hard earned money to by poorly designed things so you can fix them. I sure hope our military doesnt think like that. Yes they can be had. They can buy something that sometimes is inferior to a different choice but I dont think there proud of there mistake. Or are glad there mechanics have something to do fixing junk. If i was told by people that owned X brand computer that it was junk i sure wouldnt pay good money to buy it for a challenge. Thats about like buying an RG revolver and trying to make it into a gun as good as a smith. Or like paying 30 percent less for a 70s amc gremlin and trying to make it as good as a toyota corolla. Swap enough parts and you could probably do it buy why when you can buy a good one to begin with. My mechanic is a sharp man. Sharp enough that he buys a good car or truck instead of paying less for junk and wrenching on it just because he can. Im out of here now. Ive owned and still do own both. Aint my first rodeo. Run both for a week and its obvious which is better engineered. You can buy what you want. Its not my money but most of us here have been there and done that and know better.
    I don’t know what you did in the Navy, but the Navy as always purchased junk then paid people to fix it.

The SH-60B, V-22, Perry class frigates, F18 are just a few.

The LNL works the case feeder works: you may not have liked yours and that’s fine, but what started the thread was should I by a LNL because of price and availability.

Everyone has given their opinion, so the gentleman will have to make up his own mind.

BUT yes, the government does buy Junk then the Secretary of Defense gets you in a conference room and tells you; “ we have purchased it now make it work” It’s a no fun no win.

The LNL is not junk that is just your Opinion

I also have a LNL and use it regularly. There was a little learning curve on how to set up the case feeder and bullet feeder die. Some cases feed better than others just as some bullet profiles will work better than others. I regularly load 9mm, 38/357, 44mag, 45ACP and 223 with it. Right now it's set up for 9mm which I've been shooting more of recently.

I run it with a double alpha powder cop alarm and the case and bullet feeder although I don't always run the bullet feeder if it's a profile or cast bullet that the bullet feeder doesn't like. I may get a few upside down cases out of 100 through the case feeder and depending on my mood I'll either toss them back in the hopper or just flip them over myself. The bullet feeder will occasionally not feed a bullet. I keep a few bullets on the bench and just place one on the bullet less case before it goes to the seating die. Neither of those two will cause much issue, but spilled powder will keep the primer slide from being able to fully close and align with the case. So if you skip priming a case and allow it to run through the powder station you'll likely get powder to drop onto the subplate which will get moved around by the cases until it eventually winds up in the primer slide slot. Eventually the dirt/powder will keep the primer slide from fully closing and aligning with the case and you'll have priming issues.

You can usually feel the case get primed, but occasionally one slips by or you try to run the press too fast and spill powder. I keep a 2" chip brush on the bench and just use it to brush off any loose powder. If powder gets down on the subplate, then if you leave a case out you can clean each station off as you index through them including the primer slide pocket. Most of these "fixes" take longer to type than they take to actually do. I like to wet tumble my cases but will dry tumble them a little to clean them off before going in the hopper to be deprimed/resized. Here's the last batch of 45ACP cases that were run through. They're all wet tumbled now waiting to be reloaded but I still have about 3K still loaded. I have about 4k more 9mm to do then about the same 223 before getting back to the 45's.

I used to buy and sell them, keeping the UPC back when they gave 1000 free bullets away with them. One of the few that kept belt fed 308’s going with JSP’s.

I used several of the LNL’s for awhile before getting rid of them. I would put them ahead of the LM by good margin but behind the 650.

I could never even get any bites on trading a NIB Hornady LNL for a used 550. I can’t say I blame the 550 owners because I also think it’s a better press for some things than the LNL. For just loading pistol, I might pick the LNL over the 550.

If you are good at and like to fix and improve things, even the lowly LM can keep up with the best of them.

At lest for a little while.
    Last edited by jmorris; 06-08-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Boolit Master

I swapped a dillon 450 for Hornady Pro-Jector.
    Then sold the Pro-Jector for a L-N-L.
    Only problem I've had was the upgrade to the new auto-eject sub-plate.
    Bought that and had to have Hornady machine My Pro-Jector shell plates to work on the L-N-L .
    It has worked well with Very Few Problems. But then I don't pound out rounds as fast as I can.
    Lee stuff breaks and wears out rather quickly.
    Molds are ok IF you cast smoothly. And with a light touch can last a long time.
    Dies and presses you can keep.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Thanks for the responses so far. Cost is not so much a factor as caliber changes. I'm not looking to change every couple of hundred rounds but how different in expense and setup time is there between the LNL and the 750 for caliber changes? I really have no desire for a 550. I want progressive and I want 5 stations.

Boolit Master

I did not consider the Lee since I have 4 Pro 1000s. I'm well aware of their pitfalls and want to move away from them. I have been making good ammo with them for a long time but I just recently retired and plan on shooting much, much more and it's time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I swapped a dillon 450 for Hornady Pro-Jector.
    Then sold the Pro-Jector for a L-N-L.
    Only problem I've had was the upgrade to the new auto-eject sub-plate.
    Bought that and had to have Hornady machine My Pro-Jector shell plates to work on the L-N-L .
    It has worked well with Very Few Problems. But then I don't pound out rounds as fast as I can.
    Lee stuff breaks and wears out rather quickly.
    Molds are ok IF you cast smoothly. And with a light touch can last a long time.
    Dies and presses you can keep.
    I had most of the plates for the Pro-Jector press and just milled the 1/4" slot in them so they'd work with the LNL. Did the first few on the lathe, but the mill is quicker once you have the dividing head set up. Top right is PJ, top left is LNL and bottom is modified PJ to LNL plate. Did order a couple of the factory LNL plates to use as a guide so I've got a couple duplicates out of the 15 plates and have two presses that take them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far. Cost is not so much a factor as caliber changes. I'm not looking to change every couple of hundred rounds but how different in expense and setup time is there between the LNL and the 750 for caliber changes? I really have no desire for a 550. I want progressive and I want 5 stations.
    To change calibers quickly you need a tool head setup: dies powder measure that can get a little pricey, but that depends on how many different calibers your going to reload. That why I moved from the 550 to the LNL; I have only loaded about 20,000 rifle rounds but over 150,000 pistol, so sometimes I just change powder measure and seating die or just seating die. I only load rifle on single stage press; go to the range shoot 50 and go home not a big deal.

I have seven or eight powder measures now but 30 years ago when I got the 550 the one that came with it was all I could afford, so changing calibers was not to easy.

Again on Progressive Press what is your goal; I reload everyday it’s the only hobby and I have the time.

Boolit Master

I did not consider the Lee since I have 4 Pro 1000s. I'm well aware of their pitfalls and want to move away from them. I have been making good ammo with them for a long time but I just recently retired and plan on shooting much, much more and it's time to move on.

Then a 750 is definitely for you; it will give you good service and ammunition fast. The change outs will start to get expensive over time only drawback money wise.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe Mr Morris can address that....but you can try YouTube to see how much time others take and compare. As you know, changing from SP to LP needs to be factored in as well. I find it so much of a bother I was going to get rid of my LP .45 ACP and get SP brass.

I used to have a dedicated LP 1050 but sold it when I downsized, and had two 550’s....one for SP and one for LP. But am now down to one 550 as well.

BTW, if you will be shooting a lot, I think you will be happier with the Dillon. Lloyd shoots a lot so heed his comments. Also Mr Morris is no slouch....when it comes to mechanical stuff....if he wanted to trade a NIB Hornady for a used 550...well....???
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Don, I'm not discarding anyone's comment. I have no experience with either. I have 5 maybe six calibers I shoot enough that would justify getting tool heads for. I have dies for all of them. I will probably keep one of the Pro 1000s. They are great to quickly deprime and process brass before tumbling.

Personally I would search out a 650 before buying a 750. The 650 has the most reliable primer feed on any progressive, including all of the other Dillon models. #2 would be an APS strip fed Pro 2000. The 750 is basically a 650 with a 550 primer feed system.

Conversions for the 650/750 will cost more than one for a base LNL, for the same reason the presses cost more than the LNL. They come with all the stuff to convert the press and case feed for every caliber. The machines also come setup from the factory with a case feed tube and all of the device to feed the cases from the tube into the shell plate.

What Dillon calls their optional “case feeder” is really just a case collator or case feed, feeder. With the LNL, when you buy the “case feed” you get the collator and all of the parts you have to add to the press that gets them into the shell plate. That part costs more than Dillons “case feeder” because it is more stuff and the fact that it is user installed vs part of the base press from the factory is another reason (aside from simply better design) the Dillon is less problematic than the Hornady.

Boolit Master

Is the 650 still available or are you talking used?

Boolit Master

A quick search revealed no 650s available anywhere except one priced way higher than I can get the 750 for new.

A new 650 would be old stock, they were discontinued for the 750. I am not surprised on your search though I wouldn’t trade my old 650’s for new 750’s either.

The Dillon’s not only retain value but go up in value. The lifetime no BS warranty is the same on an old one as a new one. Those of us that have Dillon machines that are 30+ years old could sell them for 2-3 times what they cost back then and the buyer would still be getting a deal.

Boolit Master

Sorry late getting back to conversation but I was loading rounds on my LNL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast