Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I had to share this

Boolit Master

I had to share this

Two days ago I went on the ASSRA web site. I always go to the sell section first. A man posted a Badger barrel for sale. It was full octagon, 40 caliber, 31 Inches in length, 1 in 16 twist, It was threaded for the Winchester 1885 and chambered for the 40 Sharps straight. He was asking a whopping 150 bucks for it shipped. It took about half a nano second to sell. It was sold before I saw it. I just had to tell somebody, my wife couldn't care less.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

You missed one, for sure!

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Two days ago I went on the ASSRA web site. I always go to the sell section first. A man posted a Badger barrel for sale. It was full octagon, 40 caliber, 31 Inches in length, 1 in 16 twist, It was threaded for the Winchester 1885 and chambered for the 40 Sharps straight. He was asking a whopping 150 bucks for it shipped. It took about half a nano second to sell. It was sold before I saw it. I just had to tell somebody, my wife couldn't care less.
    Well, now you know about how I feel almost all the time! Hopefully, the one you really REALLY need will pop up when you can get there in time. Just don't hold your breath waiting!

Bill

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Same luck here scrounge!!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Well, now I don’t feel so bad. I usually miss great deals in the same time frame.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I check ASSRA F/S area every morning, and to date have almost always been too late to buy numerous great deals. I think some of the guys look at the F/S area every 5 minutes all day long! There's no way to beat some guys to bargains posted there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I check ASSRA F/S area every morning, and to date have almost always been too late to buy numerous great deals. I think some of the guys look at the F/S area every 5 minutes all day long! There's no way to beat some guys to bargains posted there.
    Or here!

I like the part about your wife could care less, that’s funny ��
    I do know what you mean though as I have missed many things I thought I wanted or needed and still somehow have too much stuff to use.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    What is most amazing about this barrel the man sold is the fact that any part of it would cost you $150, whether it was the blank, the reamer, milling the barrel flats or the cutting the chamber. To add to the pain, I have an unused set of Redding 40-70 dies and the brass, Plus the fact that I love the 40 calibers. I think it would cost $500 to get a barrel like this made and fitted to your action.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 06-06-2021 at 12:39 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    What is most amazing about this barrel the man sold is the fact that any part of it would cost you $150, whether it was the blank, the reamer, milling the barrel flats or the cutting the chamber. To add to the pain, I have an unused set of Redding 40-70 dies and the brass, Plus the fact that I love the 40 calibers. I think it would cost $500 to get a barrel like this made and fitted to your action.
    Considering it's a Badger, and is now unobtainable new, it was an even better buy than just any new barrel. I'd be surprised if you found a new Badger .40 caliber blank that it wouldn't cost you $400 alone.

It probably would not have head-spaced on your action or fit your forearm, without a bit of work, anyway........ I think that is what the fox looking at the grapes would say.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    It probably would not have head-spaced on your action or fit your forearm, without a bit of work, anyway........ I think that is what the fox looking at the grapes would say.
    I'd agree with you if it was for any other single besides a 1885. Winchester 1885's have a reputation for great success in screwing on any other 1885 and fitting up correctly. Some trick Winchester did to ensure all of their barrels fit to all similar actions. So even one fit aftermarket to an action "should fit" unless somebody trued up the action face first, and screwed up what Winchester did.

Sometimes I get lucky - a couple of months ago a guy posted two boxes of old .32 Long Colt on Gunbroker for an absurdly low Buy it Now. I was for once the first guy tp see it, I guess. Even the fact that half of it was was actually .32 S&W reloads didn't spoil the excitement. I can't buy a box of mew .32 S&W brass for the price. Nice guy, he acknowledged that he'd way underpriced it, and offered me money back when we found out it wasn't all Colt. I declined.
    Cognitive Dissident