WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman Model 45 Lubricator/Sizer

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Model 45 Lubricator/Sizer

I just finished rehabbing one of these. Now, where do I find nose punches and sizing dies? Thanks in advance for all advice.

Sam

Midway, Natchez, Brownells or any other place sell g reloading supplies.

Boolit Master

Standard Lyman and RCBS H&I dies and top punches will fit it. I like them better than the 450 or 4500 sizers.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you both very much.

Sam

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve seen folks saying here and elsewhere that they like the 45 better than the 450 or 4500, but I’ve never seen them tell why. Since the later ones have cast iron one piece bodies (that have been known to crack) I guess there might be a bit of a durability problem, but is there anything else? It seems like the 45 might be more likely to go out of alignment... a definite negative. What are the positives? Remember cool factor doesn’t count in this discussion, just objective advantages.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I’ve seen folks saying here and elsewhere that they like the 45 better than the 450 or 4500, but I’ve never seen them tell why. Since the later ones have cast iron one piece bodies (that have been known to crack) I guess there might be a bit of a durability problem, but is there anything else? It seems like the 45 might be more likely to go out of alignment... a definite negative. What are the positives? Remember cool factor doesn’t count in this discussion, just objective advantages.

Froggie
    Froggie asked the question I was wondering as well, why would one prefer the 45 over the later models? Normally I prefer older equipment, made before MIM parts, the rise of plastic, and the designed obsolescence, however the 450 & 4500 don't have any of these issues (other than MIM parts). Please enlighten those of us that don't understand the fascination.

The Lyman 45 is not near as robust as the later Lymans or RCBS lube-size machines. I have no idea why folks think they are better. I have been using this gizmos and well over 50 years and the 45 is an inferior machine in terms of strength, alignment and any way you can measure one of these machines. I guess folks think that newer just has to be inferior, but that is not true, at least in this case. I gave my last 45 away years ago and was glad to see it go.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve got three of the old #1 lube sizers that preceded the 45, and although they really look cool I really can’t truthfully say they are in any way superior to the 450 bolted more or less permanently to the bench or its floating, back up brother. The one #1 that gets much use clamps to an oak board that is then clamped into my bench vise on the work bench.

I’ll listen to what folks have to say about the reason(s) I should seek out a 45. Cool doesn’t count since I have 3 good working examples of the #1. I want solid objective arguments, please.

Froggie

PS. The OP mentioned trading up to to a Star lube press. Be prepared for a bit of sticker shock. If you get one for on the order of three to four times the cost of a 45, you will have done well. They ain’t cheap!. I just got one in a complicated friends and family deal and felt good when I “only” had about $150 in it.

Boolit Grand Master
    PPS Ignore previous PS… I got cross threaded with another post.