Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger LCP woes

Boolit Buddy

Ruger LCP woes

Gentlemen, about a month back I buy a Ruger LCP 1. I take it to the range. After 4-5 rounds it fails to eject. I looked at the pistol, notice the ejector, plunger and spring are missing. I called Ruger, they sent me new parts. A couple of weeks later I go back to the range, after replacing parts. I fired 100 different 380/Reddot loads, incident free. So I believe the problem is solved.

Today, a couple weeks later, I go back to the range to try some 380/Vectan AS loads. After almost 100 trouble-free rounds, I slam slide home, looking at the ejector. It looked kinda funny. I fire a round, it fails to eject. I look at the gun, ejector, plunger and spring are missing, AGAIN. I did find the plunger and spring. Could not find the ejector.

I call Ruger again, they agree to send me replacement parts. AGAIN.

So the question is... After recieving parts, is there something I should be looking for. I glanced at the last replacement ejector. It looked fine to me. I have inspected the slide where the ejector fits. It looks fine, no burs, etc. The hole the ejector sits in, looks fine. Please help me out.

I really hate the idea of sending a new gun back to the factory. I posted another thread on the subject here....https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...er-LCP-Journey

Thanks, Randy.

Boolit Master

I know the pain you feel. Years ago I purchased an SP-101 in .327FedMag that never came home with me until it was either repaired or replaced by Ruger, after months gone by. Fired cases torqued the extractor enough that the empties wouldn't extract.

You deserve what you paid for, something you have confidence in. Ruger needs to figure out where it all went wrong so that they can fix their process. Get a shipping label and send it back.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Send it back and let Ruger fix it. I have a first gen LCP on which the slide rail on the frame had split (serial numbered portion). Sent it back and within 2 weeks had a brand new first gen.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I agree with the folks above. I'd call Ruger again, POLITELY explain what has happened, AND how your experience hasn't been too good. Mention the "trust" you lack in that gun & would prefer to have it double checked at the factory. I'm SURE Ruger will take care of it for you.

And yes,, a new gun should work. But they only test fire them (the LCP) with either 1 or 2 rounds & then ship. Extended test firing makes the gun more like a "used" gun & not new. They can also make a mistake in the build. Happens all the time in ALL manufactured items. Not just guns.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a couple of issues with Ruger firearms and always have been treated well by Ruger and the problems fixed. Smith and Wesson also have been fair with an old revolver that I sent in for repair. Taurus however will never get another dime of my money.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, I agree with all the above. I believe in the end Ruger will make it right. I really would like to fix it myself. I was hoping for some answers on how to repair. Many thanks, Randy.
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 06-05-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I bought an LCP and had issues with it also. Mine would drop the magazine just slightly every few shots. At first I thought I was accidentally hitting the mag release but even when consciously focusing on avoiding the release it would still pop out.

I ended up selling it at a gun show and buying an LC9. I probably should have sent it back in but the desire for instant gratification got the better of me. The LC9 is fine but the LCP was so easy to carry. I’ve considered trying one of the newer ones but then again, I don’t think it would get much love. No sense in buying a common gun just to be a safe queen.

I would definitely be on the phone with Ruger Monday requesting a return shipping label. Granted, now and then all gun makers have one slip through quality control that shouldn't have.

The biggest issue is, even after installing the new parts AGAIN, are you willing to bet your life on it if you had to?

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks to all who replied. As much as I hate to do it, I might just send it back. Thanks, Randy.

Banned

My wife has a LCP we bought several years ago. She has shot many of my reloads through it with no problem. I don't have my recipe handy but I know I use Win 231 in them with Lee 90 grain cast. Are you shooting loads close to max? I never went close to max charge. I do agree with the other folks, I'd send it back to Ruger and let them handle it.

Boolit Buddy

Loads are no where near max. 105 swc and 2.3 to 2.9 Reddot. Same as above with 95 gr FP. The same loads were tried with Vectan AS too.Thanks Randy

Boolit Grand Master
    You depend on this tool to protect your life and the life of your's. Get it right and don't wait.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, I am convinced. I will give Ruger a call. Thanks, Randy.
    Last edited by sixgunner452; 06-05-2021 at 10:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen. I took ur advice. I called Ruger. They emailed a Fedex label. I mailed it off. Requested new slide assy, and barrel. Fingers crossed, hoping for best. Thanks, Randy.

Sixgunner, good choice.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    Prudent move.

Boolit Buddy

725, I agree. Glad I went that way. I am happy to report 8 days, almost to the hour after I called Ruger Service dept.... I received my LCP back in my hands. They replaced the complete slide assy, and the barrel. They even included a complimentary magazine. Now I just need to get out to the range, and see if this fixed my problem. Thanks, to all that opined, Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    725, I agree. Glad I went that way. I am happy to report 8 days, almost to the hour after I called Ruger Service dept.... I received my LCP back in my hands. They replaced the complete slide assy, and the barrel. They even included a complimentary magazine. Now I just need to get out to the range, and see if this fixed my problem. Thanks, to all that opined, Randy.
    Sounds like a worn out or improperly adjusted piece of equipment may have been used in the original manufacture of the slide.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy

Sir. Could be. But Ruger sent new replacement parts. Same problem. Think hole in slide that holds extractor out if spec. Thanks Randy.