Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Bedding a Boyd's Spike Camp Marlin 795 22lr stock??

Boolit Master

Bedding a Boyd's Spike Camp Marlin 795 22lr stock??

Just bought my third Boyd's stock. I really like them. This one is for my old Marlin 795 mag (clip) fed 22LR.

Changing the stock was a 3 minute breeze. However, this stock, (like the original), has no pillars nor recoil lug area. The action area is a giant cavern, and the action just floats in there; held in place only by the action sandwiching the stock between the top of the action and the bottom trigger plate. Before final tightening of the action screws, clamping the "sandwich" together, you can slide the action fore and aft a good 1/4" or more!! Not good.

I have no problem bedding the stock, but with this one with nothing but a "cavern" for the action, I don't even know where to start. Surprisingly, I can not find anything in net searches. Others must have encountered the same problem...

Help?? Thanks so much in advance!!

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Grand Master
    Had to go find a picture to make sure we were talking a bout the same gun. It looks to me like the Model 795 is basically a box magazine fed Model 60. It has been a few years since I had mine out of the stock, but here's what I would do:

Bed the barrel and the rear of the action for a recoil transfer point.

Either strip the action totally, or make good and sure you have everything taped or blocked with modelling clay. Make sure you use plenty of your favorite release agent, getting a glued in aluminum action free without damage doesn't sound like fun to me.

Let us know how it turns out,

Robert

Boolit Master
    So let's say you're adding aluminum pillars to a stock. There are let's say, two action screws that go through wood, and hold the action and trigger plate in place in the stock. The worry is that the wood will compress, and/or compress unevenly. So the screw holes in the wood are enlarged, and aluminum pillars are glued in. Now the action is both located securely in the stock, and tightening the screws clamps the trigger plate and action against aluminum, which won't compress, making a more secure fitment.

On my Marlin 795, the action screws do not go through wood or plastic holes in the stock. The inlet for the action in the stock is just a large open, rectangular cavern. The action screws float through that rectangular opening. When you tighten them, the action is pulled down against the stock, and the trigger plate is drawn upwards against the ledge for it in the stock. In other words, instead of the action literally being bolted into the stock, in this case the stock is merely (rather flimsily) sandwiched between the action and the trigger plate. Indeed, if you "horsed" down hard on the screws, you could easily bend the trigger plate, as it has no support beneath the plate at the screw holes. This is why the original, plastic Marlin 795 trigger plates often crack or break.

So, how would you go about adding pillars in that "free space" in a Marlin 795 stock??

Thanks again,
    Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master

I have bedded my Spike Camp on my Ruger American. After a serious rounding/smoothing & lightening!! I started with pillar bedding. Then opened up for glass bedding.

I agree and would also start with pillar bedding. I have a 795 also in a Boyds but Barracuda stock. No bedding works and shoots good. I have bedded a few 10/22's in stocks and on two I added a front bedding screw but these where both .920 heavy barrels.

I bedded my Savage B-Mag some time back. Also no recoil shoulder. But the barrel has "fin cuts" I used these as a pseudo recoil shoulder a d jts been working great the gun is now solid. Maybe you can do something simular..

I have a video up on my Utube site if the pillar bedding.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw