RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Colt 1883 damascus rib solder job needed.

Colt 1883 damascus rib solder job needed.

I do not want to attempt to solder the loose rib on my beautiful 1883.

Can someone point me to a CB gunsmith here that can do the job on a museum piece? Or some doublegun Smith with a good track record of working with Damascus beauties?

Thank you....my 1883 thanks you.

Boss

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I don't have his number on hand, but do a search for Monte Mandarino, Whitefish, Montana. He specializes in restoration work now.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Whomever you use they need to know exactly what they are doing as they will need to refinish the barrels if they do any soldering on the ribs. It may be possible to re-stick the rib with a modern adhesive, Brownell's sells one called Black Max, if it is to be just a show piece and not fired. Not to denigrate anyone here but, if it were me and it was a very high end piece I'd be looking for one of the gunsmiths that specialize in this type of work. It will be expensive but, your chances of getting the quality of work you want is much better.

Good luck and post some pictures.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Whomever you use they need to know exactly what they are doing as they will need to refinish the barrels if they do any soldering on the ribs. It may be possible to re-stick the rib with a modern adhesive, Brownell's sells one called Black Max, if it is to be just a show piece and not fired. Not to denigrate anyone here but, if it were me and it was a very high end piece I'd be looking for one of the gunsmiths that specialize in this type of work. It will be expensive but, your chances of getting the quality of work you want is much better.

Good luck and post some pictures.
    Thanks, I am struggling to find a smith that can do this. This is my favorite shotgun and I do want to continue shooting it. The barrels are not separated, the rib is loose between them. If the barrels need to refinished (etched ) to bring out the patterns again so be it. Right now the pattern is beautiful . If this gun has to be relegated to "Wall Hanger", I would rather roll it over with a steam roller for fun and call it a complete loss.

Old shotguns become junk shotguns, then scrap.

Waksupi tried to help me, but the smith he pointed me to is no longer available.

If I cant find a smith , I will try to solder it myself, then scrap it. At least i will be able to say I tried.

Funny,. I was so "on" Sunday when shooting it, I had a real good score. Best I ever shot it. 88 out of 100 in sporting clays, BP loads only.

Boolit Buddy
    Go to the parker gun collectors form, the people there can give you the right smiths to contact.

Boolit Master
    I have a bit of experience at double gun repair including re-laying ribs, regulating double rifles and refinishing but when I dropped my Cogswell & Harrison 577 double and broke the top tang through the rear bolt hole I shipped it to Brad Bachelder (https://www.mastergunmakers.com/) and had them laser weld and re-engrave it. They did a very good job on a tough repair. I could have TIG welded it my self but the job wouldn't have come out nearly so clean. Based on my experience I would suggest you opt for a true professional to do the job. The Parker Collector group would also be able to direct you to someone that could repair your Colt and do the job right. shttp://www.parkerguns.org/.

Again good luck with the repair and post pictures.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did contact a smith from the Parker forum. An English trained smith in Texas.

I will also give the master gunsmith above a call.

My Colt 1883 is a favorite. I really don’t want to hang it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Turnbull Restoration can do it, if you don't find someone else.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.