Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigged up three nice walleyes today.

Boolit Master

Jigged up three nice walleyes today.

Off a bridge with leaches. Gave them to a Hmong lady because I was on my motorcycle and did not have the proper equipment to preserve them. If you know to fish the bottom it is easy to catch them.

Nice, How'd you get them up to the bridge? Bucket on a rope? I've never fished for walleye
    What could possibly go wrong?

Banned

We have them here, though Kansas isn't typical walleye country. I caught a decent sized one about 25 years ago I had mounted, I've always thought they are cool fish. They don't have them where I grew up, so I guess there's kind of an exotic factor about them for me.

folks travel here to fish them . good eating , lousy fight

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackAttack24 View Post
    Nice, How'd you get them up to the bridge? Bucket on a rope? I've never fished for walleye
    I just walked over to the abutment and pulled them on shore. The lake has a limit of 10 under 15" and 1 over 20" ( you have to release walleyes from 15" to 20"). Heading back out there this morning with a small cooler so I can keep a few. Best fishing is in June when the lakes are "blooming" with insect hatches, crayfish and tadpoles.

i caught a 6lb walleye when I was 5 and a half. Got frustrated with the old baitcasting rod I was using, was getting no where.
    Just at dark, men were up at the back shed cleaning fish. They sent my older brother down to check on me.

So I just grabbed the line, eased it in, ran it up on the beach and was half way to the cabin with a fish half as big as I was. Reel still down on the dock screaming out line.

I have not been impressed since. Carp fight better, Sunfish and Crappie eat better. I'll take one if I get one but I don't fish for them. Bass are easier to catch, not near as finicky. And a nice 2 lb bass from 12 to 14 feet of water is nice and cool and gives you a solid tussle.

Walleyes are ok, but I don't fixate on them like 90% of Minnesota fishermen do.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    folks travel here to fish them . good eating , lousy fight
    I travel there for the good drinks at Zaverl's amongst the outdoor things. Had great fishing on the Canadian side of Basswood in Bailey Bay on tin can reef. Stayed at Jeep's on Moose Lake. That was over 30 years ago.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    i caught a 6lb walleye when I was 5 and a half. Got frustrated with the old baitcasting rod I was using, was getting no where.
    Just at dark, men were up at the back shed cleaning fish. They sent my older brother down to check on me.

So I just grabbed the line, eased it in, ran it up on the beach and was half way to the cabin with a fish half as big as I was. Reel still down on the dock screaming out line.

I have not been impressed since. Carp fight better, Sunfish and Crappie eat better. I'll take one if I get one but I don't fish for them. Bass are easier to catch, not near as finicky. And a nice 2 lb bass from 12 to 14 feet of water is nice and cool and gives you a solid tussle.

Walleyes are a bit of a cult thing. Yes, panfish are tasty but a walleye is so easy to fillet and even the smaller ones have good meat. I like to call them lake angus.

Boolit Grand Master
    Grandfather and I would go to Minnesota and fish for walleye. I will put walleye #1 and crappie #2 and catfish nipping on #2's heels.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I travel there for the good drinks at Zaverl's amongst the outdoor things. Had great fishing on the Canadian side of Basswood in Bailey Bay on tin can reef. Stayed at Jeep's on Moose Lake. That was over 30 years ago.....
    spoke to jeep a week ago , took a tow to the indian portage stayed on knife. BIG walleyes in knife (30") but we fished for lake trout

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    spoke to jeep a week ago , took a tow to the indian portage stayed on knife. BIG walleyes in knife (30") but we fished for lake trout
    Jeep is really a fine fellow. Glad to hear he is still marching around in the birches. Nice family too. I remember he had a cute daughter that we nick named " pumpkin seed ". I hope to stay there again soon.

Boolit Master

My BIL invited me out on Canandaigua, one of NY's Finger Lakes today. Lake trout Derby is underway.
    Too windy to troll effectively. On the way home we saw the leading entry, a 29 lb. 4 oz. specimen.
    We didn't get skunked, we got the tee shirts.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

Northern pike were my main fish! If I got a walleye or two trolling for pike it was just a bonus fish. Northern pike are good eats!

MaryB I grew up spearing Northerns through the ice. When it comes to northerns I'm fussy. They have to be COLD!

But yes they are mighty fine eating.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I only fish in Idaho, and a non-resident license costs me over $100 each year. I didn't go fishing once last year. Love fishing, but my girlfriend is not a fan and the only two fish I like to eat are Kokanee and Perch. I catch and release everything else.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Bub
    Walleye are surely one of the best eating I have ever found..And I have fished for near 60 years now..Not may lunkers where I live.Or atleast not any I catch. Largest I have ever caught was 25 Inches..There are some decent Walleye Lakes in Nebraska..But I never have luck in those..Just on Jigs in the River fishing from the Bank....

Moderator Emeritus

MaryB I grew up spearing Northerns through the ice. When it comes to northerns I'm fussy. They have to be COLD!

But yes they are mighty fine eating.
    I had someone tell me that, I fed him a northern caught in August from 75 degree water and he loved it. Key is in how you clean it. Fold the filet in half the long way and scrub it against itself under running water, do this to both sides. It gets all traces of slime off and a lot of the blood comes out.

Boolit Grand Master
    LLoyd, you might like Walleye, its a member of the perch family IIRC

Banned
    I live in Stevens Point Wisconsin. One of the hottest walleye places in the galaxy. Used to be lots of em over 15 lbs no longer...too many fishermen nowadays. Of the fish around here, (not trout species) Walleyes are considered the very best eating. There are some fish that come close but Walleyes are the king of the plate.
    Last edited by Traffer; 06-07-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    When I moved out to Washington state in 1975 , people started catching walleyes in Lake Roosevelt and didn't know what they were or how to filet them. Having fished for them in Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota as a youngster, I recognized them immediately and warned the unwary about the dorsal fin stickers!
    Now they present quite a good fishery in Lake Roosevelt.
    Legend has it that they were introduced by an airline pilot who brought them in from the midwest somewhere. Quien sabes?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast