Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Winchester Winder .22 short price check??

Boolit Master

Winchester Winder .22 short price check??

I have looked at a Win. Winder musket, .22 short recently, in a large collection up for sale, the owner is getting old, wants to get rid of them. The bore is immaculate, the wood has been refinished, very well done, and the bluing is great, old reblue, looks like a real high quality rust blue, and it is mint. It has the redfield reciever sight on the rear. Bottom dollar, is $1000, and they will let me shoot it if I am interested. What say you all on the price, since these are pretty scarce.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not a "collector" that thinks guns should be kept locked away in safes forever. I am more of an active accumulator, who belives guns were made to be shot (with appropriate loads).

Consequently a well done refinish doesn't bother me.

With that written, take it and run like a thief. Especially if it groups well.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Thirty years ago I would have laughed at that price. Ten or fifteen years ago I would have explained patiently if it was a Third Model (low wall) that was way too high for a refinished example and if it was a high wall musket, a little high but worthy of consideration. Today? Prices are crazy; if it’s a low wall it’s still a little high, but if a high wall, certainly worth a hard look. How badly do you want a ‘wall?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

well, the lowwalls seem to stop moving at about that price on GunBroker. And you don't have to pay shipping on this one or ffl fee and you can see exactly what you are getting and test drive it. A collector would discount for the non original sight and finish but if you are buying to use, it sounds about right to me.

If it's a Low Wall Winder might be a little high. If it's aa High Wall it's a good price these days. Just be sure to try a .22lR round in it! I can't tell you how many I've seen that were reamed out chambers to accept .22LR! And that will severely affect the value for most people.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    If it's a Low Wall Winder might be a little high. If it's aa High Wall it's a good price these days. Just be sure to try a .22lR round in it! I can't tell you how many I've seen that were reamed out chambers to accept .22LR! And that will severely affect the value for most people.
    Plus, the one I had that had been reamed to LR wouldn't shoot worth a darn either! Tried LR L and S without success.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Plus, the one I had that had been reamed to LR wouldn't shoot worth a darn either! Tried LR L and S without success.
    I have one that was chambered to 22LR. At fifty yards the bullets turned sideways. I tried some CCI Minni Mags and they shot a dime sized group at fifty yards.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    And here I thought all the Winder's were high walls, some with cut down breech blocks, but high wall receivers.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    And here I thought all the Winder's were high walls, some with cut down breech blocks, but high wall receivers.

Robert
    Technically you're correct. But I see Low Wall muskets listed as Winders all the time. So unless I saw pictures I'd not be sure it's a true High Wall Winder.

Boolit Master
    Attached is a picture of my low wall whatever.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Vendor Sponsor

If you really want to be fussy about the name Winder, which I don't! None are Winders as Winchester never used that name.
    Winder is a nick-name given by collectors or maybe some other group????

I have a lot of data on Winder (the man) and his requests to have Winchester make 1885 Singleshot rifles as a training and target rifle ......because I had these questions years ago too.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post

Robert
    The Third Model Muskets were supposedly made by cutting the sidewalls of high wall musket to low wall configuration and profiling the tops of their breech blocks appropriately. They have the flares at the front and rear of the side panels, unlike the all original low walls which had flat sides. Most probably this was done to make loading the tiny 22 Short rounds easier.

All musket stocks and fore ends fit both versions and the very latest low wall fore ends (coil spring actions) seem to have been cut for leaf spring actions. I’ve never examined one of the earliest, two band fore ends inside, but they would probably work on Third Models as well.

Just as a FYI, the earliest low wall actions (about 1887) were made pretty much the same way but had high breech blocks with the back corners rounded off. AFAIK, none of those were configured as muskets though.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"