Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 45 Colt 5 shot

Boolit Mold

45 Colt 5 shot

Does anyone know if I can install a 5 shot cylinder and hand on my New Model Ruger Blachawk. And if so who could provide the parts. I know Hamilton Bowen does these but I’m sure there pretty pricey. Just like the extra safety margin this would add. Thanks in advance.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Why not just leave the hammer down on an empty chamber like they used to do in the old west ? Am I missing something here ?
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Bowen and Linebaugh can do this but it is NOT cheap....If you want a 5 shot Blackhawk just buy one from Ruger in .454 Casull and shoot .45 Colt in it...the .454 Ruger BH is a 5 shot from the factory..Cheaper to buy the whole gun than have a custom made 5 shot cylinder I would think...

Boolit Master

Txcowboy52:
    Yep, you missed OP's goal.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Well I have been known to be dense at times! LOL
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Banner Sponsor

You might try JRH, I've heard that you can get a 5 shot cylinder fitted for much less than a full blown custom job.

The thought of the 454 Bisley is a great idea.
    I have one in 480 and really like it.

Vendor Sponsor

Without milling the frame window and increasing the OD of the cylinder, you are only gaining very little by moving the bolt notch between chambers since the outer wall thickness will be the same.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I'm apparently dense as well, what is the intent of having a 5 vs. 6 (minus 1 for safety) cylinder? Especially with the transfer bar?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The whole point of the five shot cylinders is to exceed the 32,000 psi pressures most accept as maximum for the 6 shot gun in .45 Colt (Ruger large frame). You can venture north of 50,000 psi. The cylinder is larger diameter too, than the 6 shot. This was the original .45 Colt Linebaugh idea, the one Ross Siefried took on the cape buffalo with.
    Rule 303

Boolit Buddy
    Rite on piedmont.The 5 shot cylinder the op is asking about has nothing to do with empty chambers or safe handling it about getting more power from 45 colt.

Boolit Master
    Thank you fellas, I completely understand why now! So does the barrel also need to be changed out if you're wishing to pursue that?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kingrj View Post
    Bowen and Linebaugh can do this but it is NOT cheap....If you want a 5 shot Blackhawk just buy one from Ruger in .454 Casull and shoot .45 Colt in it...the .454 Ruger BH is a 5 shot from the factory..Cheaper to buy the whole gun than have a custom made 5 shot cylinder I would think...
    I wish these had been available when I was going through my 5 shot phase. Now with a Freedom Arms .454 w/3 extra cylinders incl. .45 Colt, a JRH 5 shot conversion of a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk to .45 Colt, and a Linebaugh .475 5 shot. Now I'm too old to enjoy shooting full power loads thru any of them.

I assume that the Ruger is the Bisley model. I got the JRH conversion with his reform of the grip frame to very similar to the Bisley. I could not stand to shoot any .44 Mag loads thru the gun with the original grip.

Yep! Just looked at the Ruger site. Lipsey special thru Gunbroker.
    John
    W.TN