MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wood ash

I have basic soil, but the wood ash has a lot of good stuff in it. That is why slash and burn agriculture works (at least for a while). So I toss the occasional bucket of wood ash into the compost heap along with all the food stuff (banana peels, vegetable scraps, etc.) and a few loads of quail manure (we keep coturnix and their poop needs to compost before you put it in the soil) and let it cook all summer. Come the Fall, I dig it into the raised beds after the frost has killed everything.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Banned

Wood ash has a high lime content, and lime will definitely burn our skin.

Boolit Grand Master

Wood ashes mixed with water = Lye ... yes Lye will burn your skin ... it's like Draino !

When I was a boy my Mom told me they mixed wood ashes leached (wood was their principal source of heat ) with water then added it to Hog Lard ... to make SOAP ! I didn't believe her ...how could dirty wood ash , water and greasy hog fat combine to make ...clean soap ? My mind still doesn't understand it but she wasn't telling me a story .
    This is from 1930's depression era Dirt Poor East Texas Oil Field Living & Surviving as told by Effie Castilaw to her son .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Less then 30 miles south there are people making soap out of wood ash this weekend. They do it every year in Fort Scott the first weekend in June.

We used lye and a few other chemicals for years to clean things. It was rough on my gloves and sometimes my skin. It was the job I picked.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    Potassium hydroxide plus wood ash equals Potash, a well known term here in New England.
    Exactly! What are the three main nutrients needed by plants! Nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium! When you get 10 1010 fertilizer that’s what it means! Potassium helps develop a healthy root system.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I once cleared an overgrown pasture. I had a big fire burning for a week. The next spring, when the grass grew, there was a big spot much greener than the rest where the fire was.

Ashes from a wood stove are great for a garden. They become even better, if when you have finished eating, you burn your leftover bones in the wood stove. They add phosphorus, a very important nutrient.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pretty sure Hensley's book of cormulas is available asca free pdf file somewhere online. Thi k i snagged a copy on my #2 machine?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Wood ashes mixed with water = Lye ... yes Lye will burn your skin ... it's like Draino !

When I was a boy my Mom told me they mixed wood ashes leached (wood was their principal source of heat ) with water then added it to Hog Lard ... to make SOAP ! I didn't believe her ...how could dirty wood ash , water and greasy hog fat combine to make ...clean soap ? My mind still doesn't understand it but she wasn't telling me a story .
    This is from 1930's depression era Dirt Poor East Texas Oil Field Living & Surviving as told by Effie Castilaw to her son .
    Gary

Yes, absolutely true. I make soap as a hobby but I use purchased lye as it is more predictable/controllable. You can leach lye out of ashes and use it to make soap. Something I will eventually try for sure.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Soaking a hide in ash lye is called bucking, it makes the hair slip easier and the grain easier to scrape off. The hide does need to be neutralized (returned to a ph of 7) with an acid (vinegar works) before the actual tanning process can occur.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Pretty sure Hensley's book of cormulas is available asca free pdf file somewhere online. Thi k i snagged a copy on my #2 machine?
    Why not provide a link? It was the second result in a search.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53143
    NRA Benefactor.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    Soaking a hide in ash lye is called bucking, it makes the hair slip easier and the grain easier to scrape off. The hide does need to be neutralized (returned to a ph of 7) with an acid (vinegar works) before the actual tanning process can occur.
    It also helps break down the glue layer in the hide. I always used a fresh water rinse to neutralize the lye. Vinegar tended to tighten the fibers in the hide, making it more difficult to break down properly. I was brain tanning 40-50 hides a year when I was still in the business.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

Gary
    I'm no chemist. And not a whole lot of practical experience, but.....During the process of making lye soap, a conversation takes place called saponification. When completed, there is no trace of lye in the finished product. One has to be careful to follow the recipe however. Done wrong, great misery will likely result.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Still remember Falls here on the farm, slaughtering hogs and making lye soap . We used it mostly in the "old kitchen" for cleanup for us and any hired help. Grandma had storebought for bathing ! Miss the smoked hams way more than the lye soap !!

Boolit Bub
    Our neighbor lady takes a 50 gallon drum for Her Garden every few years..

Boolit Bub
    We use it on iris's, blooms like you have never seen before. Small amount in flower bed late fall and leaches in over winter. Plenty of supply from outdoor wood boiler.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    I may be wrong but I think wood ash and water is how mountain men and people of that sort tanned their animal hides.
    You are wrong , I use it for hair removal on hides I"m tanning The brains are used for tanning /Ed

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Still remember Falls here on the farm, slaughtering hogs and making lye soap . We used it mostly in the "old kitchen" for cleanup for us and any hired help. Grandma had storebought for bathing ! Miss the smoked hams way more than the lye soap !!
    I let my lye soap age around six months before use. Mild as you could ask for. An easy test, wash your hands with it. If it stings, it needs to age more.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Man there was nothing more fun than a Hog Killing ... we called it a Boucherie' ... I really miss the fresh hog cracklins ..."Gratton" ... fresh out the big iron lard rendering pot ... it's been many years ,
    Hog's Head Cheese !!!
    Yeah ... the lye soap making was last on my list and usually done later in the week .
    A lot of the lard was used in food preservation and in cooking ... soap was utilitarian .
    The edible foods came first ..Sausage , Andouille , Hams all had to be prepared and then smoked ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Back in 1963, my paternal grandmother died, I was a pall bearer. Somewhere around in my files, I have a diary, written over 3-4 months, in which she described daily, weekly and monthly tasks. One of which was soap making. They had some type of vessel that they loaded with hardwood ashes, collecting it in a cast iron pot. Dripped water into them, took that and mixed with rendered fat and made soap. I've made it, but mine had a PH, too basic, wouldn't burn you, but you could feel it..
    Your PH should be around 7. Neutral. It was an interesting project, but none I will pursue.
    Last edited by gbrown; 06-09-2021 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I make my Lye soap in an old crock pot. Use it on low to melt the tallow and fats. Add my lye/water which heats things up considerable. Grab a second hand store 2$ stick blender and start working. When it hits trace I clean up, put on the lid. Depending on the recipe some 2 to 3 hours later it will puff up and start raising the lid.

Mix it up well, put it into molds, let it cool. I start using it the next day. It is a cold process recipe but I do a hot process on it to speed up the process.

Last 2 batch's have had pine tar added, now that makes a good man's soap that is very good for the skin. And no sting.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast