Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Falling block works

Boolit Bub

Falling block works

Is anyone familiar with this rifle. I purchased at a gun show. Its 32-40 caliber with a unertl 20x scope.

I will attach pictures when I figure out how lol.

Boolit Master
    FBW sold actions only, I think. I remember seeing their ads in gun magazines in the '70s or '80s. They were in Troy, Michigan and made several action sizes. They've been out of business for a long time. Other than a few photos, I've never seen a rifle built on an FBW action. However, there is a write-up on an FBW rifle in the current RIFLE magazine. I really doubt there were many of these actions made but there should be someone on this forum that knows far more about FBW than I do.

Boolit Master
    I have two rifles that were built using this action. The FBW actions are well designed and built. I think they are a better design that any other falling block. They are strong and easy to take apart. They use a coil main spring and have adj trigger. That rifle will out last you. I don't know how many they made but it couldn't have been many. One of mine in # 685. I don't know the other and since it is out in my work shop and it is 90% I am not going out to look at it. I have attached pictures of my two FBW rifles. The off hand is 32-40 the heavy barrel is 40 Krag. I believe the company still has some parts to sell. I called and asked to buy two spare main springs and the man sent them to me free of charge.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Frank De Haas dedicated a whole chapter in his book "Mr. Single Shot's Gunsmithing - Idea Book" to the FBW action -17 pages. He was very complimentary of the action & its strength & basis for a SS rifle build. Get the book & it will be a great source of info & a good addition to your shooting library.

Besides that, congratulations on snagging a 20x Unertl!!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    I think your High Wall with the box car axle barrel was designed as a bench rifle. Would need a forend about 3" or so wide. Don't know what is allowed now. Should shoot well with heavy for the caliber bullets depending on the rate of twist in the barrel. Frank

Boolit Mold
    They made several different sizes- the “L” for really big cartridges, the small “K”, the “J”, the “H” kinda shaped like a Sharps, the “S” kinda shaped like a Stevens 44 1/2, and I’ve seen reference to a “Z” model. The only weak area is the fireing pin spring, which is subject to break with extensive use. Easy to replace though. Great action.

Boolit Mold
    Excuse me, it’s the hammer spring that’s prone to breakage.

Boolit Master
    At some point Winchester switched to a coil main spring in the High Wall, I don't know when.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned

Any pics?

Boolit Bub
    I have a FBW mod J rechambered/rebored from 25 20 to 32 20 by JES.The rifle shoots much better now. The FBW action is built like tank. I picked up some spare parts from the remaining brother whom I think has since passed away. I'm not aware of anyone making parts now.